Ill Chicken..Help Wanted!!! FINAL UPDATE :(

Besides what the others said here is a very important step in cleansing the chickens as a whole item
CLEAN THE CHICKEN COOP AND USE SOME OIL/KEROSENE TO PUT ON THE CRACKS OF THE LUMBER. ROOST POLES AND KNOT HOLES IN LUMBER
THESE ARE WHERE THE LICE AND MITES LIVE AND BREED MORE LICE AND MITES

1 QT OF MINERAL OIL OR BRAND NEW NEVER USED CAR OIL
1 QT OF KEROSENE

now mix good and use a brush and paint it on the places I told you about

any hidden area of the chicken house

besure and first to clean the whole chicken house out of manure and bedding

then take a 10# bag of sevin %5
bought at any GARDEN AREA STORE
AND SPREAD IT LITERALLY VERY HEAVY ON THE FLOOR
THEN ADD THE BEDDING

also make a dust box to put in the chicken house

3 lbs of sand or soil and 1 cup of sevin5%

then each week readd this amt to restock the sevin dust

any questions email me

I've used the sevin 5% under the bedding here and only recently have had any problems (and then it's the wild birds bringing in feather lice, still no lice or mites otherwise). I need to push my bedding aside and retreat and then do my bedding again here this week when I get to do the Big Chicken Makeover for the spring/summer. It's time for worming, etc.

Thank you all of the help, i have no idea how she may have wounded herself, we have cats but they get along like a house on fire. Will clean it all up and give her a proper cleaning. She smells very bad in general so that must add to this, she is eating and drinking well, i add a poultry drink to the water, it is meant to keep a good appetite. Will post an update tomorrow of all 3 girls and pictures of the ill one.

How can i help her build blood back up? What foods, drinks etc can i give her?

Thank you all so so so much for your help, i would have lost them if it wasn't for you all!

From this post, the 26th:
Definitely give them a booster food of the following:

1 cup of crumbles or their pellets broken into crumbles in the blender
1 mashed boiled egg yolk
3 tablespoons of yogurt
some water til moist - or - unsweetened applesauce or applesauce baby food til barely moist
You can add honey or karo or gatorade if you'd like.

Give that to them to boost their nutrition about once a day, preferably first thing in the morning. It'll build their blood back up. They're all going to be varying degrees of anemic. On the other thread I had mentioned how quickly parasites can take a bird down and kill it. That's how they do it.

Also it would help tremendously if you put organice apple cider vinegar (OACV) in their water at a rate of 1 teaspoon per gallon of water. The reason for organic isn't the philosophy, but because it's made by bacteria rather than chemically. The result is that it contains still living beneficial bacteria which will help the birds to produce vitamins, including B, which is helpful for their energy. The living bacteria also will dissolve any undigested foods which m ight slow the crop. (Common during any stress.) The OACV also acts as a safe electrolyte without worries of salt overdose. They'll need that as the heat will effect them more strongly.

On the mash, here's my reasoning:

crumbles: because it's a balanced food, easily dissolved.
Egg: absolutely PACKED with blood building nutrition without risk of vitamin/mineral overdose. Also easily dissolved.
Yogurt: a good source of protein as well as living bacteria to rebuild the gut population so that the bird produces more vitamins for itself without risk of overdose. This will also help ward against secondary bacterial gut problems d.t. stress.
Applesauce: birds like it. The applesauce easily dissolves (unlike grated or whole apples) but the pectin is still intact. Th epectin will cleanse the gut of any undigested food resulting from stress, correct the pH of the gut so that it's more friendly for good bacteria and unfriendly for bad. And what chicken can resist it?
----

As for the wound, and her smell, she should NOT smell bad. What that underwing looks like to me (from just the picture)is a wound or some skin injury that has seeped pus or serium which, combined with dirt, has gone nasty. That's why it's very important to clean it throughly with the hydrogen peroxide to bubble out infection, follow up with iodine to kill any remaining germs, and then dress with neosporin or an antibiotic ointment (without pain killers, without cortisone) so that it can heal. It needs air. The location is good for not being exposed to much dirt and allowing some air flow.

As for water and food, the above is all that I'd give her. It should build her up nicely. The B vitamins which she'll have the living bacteria in the yogurt make for her increase appetite. That's the trick - the bacteria in the gut do that for the bird. We don't really have to add stuff to increase their appetite. Maintain their gut bacteria and that is built in, as is diseases resistance (digestive), etc.

Thanks Nathalie, i've been doing what you've said with the foods, she doesn't seem to like the boiled eggs but eats the yogurt... will try again tomorrow, also will give her a proper clean, going to get down deep and clean her out, hopefully so she can recover fully, thank you again for everything.

I'm off to the vet tomorrow then, she is so poorly and this is beyond me, will be back tomorrow hopefully with a recovering pullet...

@threehorses
...The OACV also acts as a safe electrolyte without worries of salt overdose....

To my knowledge that is incorrect (about it being an electrolyte) > on what do you base this statement?​

Last edited:
Quote:
To my knowledge that is incorrect (about it being an electrolyte) > on what do you base this statement?

I agree with this question - I'm a chemist, and ACV in water is not generally considered an "electrolyte". ACV can help acidify the gut, which can help fight against various bacteria. But as far as it being an "electrolyte", I'm going to give it a thumbs down...

I was referring to its richness of potassium.

Added: it comes in at 73mg/100 grams. With this, you don't have the added worries of too much sodium, which isn't necessarily great for birds especially if the bird is drinking more water than usual. Although sodium is necessary in all animals, birds are more sensitive to its levels.

Any other questions?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom