I'll have my first doe in about 9 months! (I mean 6..) Updated

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Kittikity, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Kittikity

Kittikity Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2008
    The people that I work for at the goat farm want to sell a couple of their extra goats.. The only one they've decided on is a blue roan nubian/mini alpine doe named Bluebell.. She's registered as an experimental.. I think she's about a year, maybe two.. The lady offered her to me first before actually putting her up for sale and I accepted! [​IMG] And she'll only be $100..

Now, this doe does have some issues we'll have to work through.. Like she's rather skittish because the lady said they weren't able to handle her much.. Most of their babies they bottle raise.. Didn't ask why she wasn't.. I've already made some progress just from yesterday.. I carried some animal cookies around in my pocket and would offer them to her randomly.. With the last cookie she let me pet her face without running off.. I think she'll come around pretty easily.. I might also sit in a stall with her for a while so it's just one on one time.. I've got a whole 9 months to work with her..

She's also never been bred before.. With her being a mix, they really didn't have a reason to breed her since she was only a pet.. But yesterday we gave her a shot to bring her into heat.. That way when I take her home I'll be able to milk her.. Then a couple months later when I get my american nubian doeling from them (cross your fingers for doelings, lol), I'll already have a milk supply for her and I'll have had lots of practice milk.. I'll also have a companion for the doeling when she's old enough to go outside..

Yes, I know it's not the perfect deal.. But this doe is really cute and I really do think she'll come around.. She's really sweet and gentle.. Her mom (mini alpine) isn't skittish at all so maybe I'll use her to influence the doe.. I've tamed feral kittens before.. We'll see how I do with a doe.. = ) I'm just excited to know that I'll have a goat to milk in 9 months..

Last edited: Jun 24, 2008
  2. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Oh, I hate to be such a stick-in-the-mud, but:

A goat to milk in 9 months? If you gave her a shot to bring her into heat (which is a big no-no in my opinion), goat gestation is only 5 months.

What exactly was the shot you gave? Truly, it's not a good thing to be messing with your goat's hormones.

3. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Well congrats on your eventual new addition!

Pics?

4. Kittikity

Feb 6, 2008
    Ok, I was mistaken then.. For some reason I've got 8 months gestation in my head.. I didn't give the doe the shot, I helped hold.. I don't think she does this often with the does.. I think it's mostly because this doe hasn't been bred before and she wanted to have her kid sooner then everybody else to keep a closer eye on the doe and kids.. She'll bottle feed the babies and then I'll take the doe home.. I trust her judgement.. All their goats are healthy and most are very friendly.. Most of them are bottle raised and they practice CAE testing and prevention.. Of course the whole time I'm there, I have goats following me around making sure I'm doing everything right..

I forgot to take my camera yesterday.. Will get pics next Monday or Tuesday when I go back..

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  5. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Good luck. Kidding in the cold is no easy chore. Make sure you have a heater handy and an intercom can't hurt either.

6. Kittikity

Feb 6, 2008
    I won't be doing the kidding.. She'll still be with the lady and her husband when she kids.. Hopefully I'll be able to attend though.. We're also in Florida.. A lot of our winter is what northerns would call a mild summer.. = ) It's not uncommon for it to be about 70-85 degrees for Christmas..

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  7. Sparklecoon

Sparklecoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:WAY off topic.That's not mild around here, that's about the norm. I'm almost jealous out 80 degree winters.[​IMG]

8. Kittikity

Feb 6, 2008
    Yeah, the lowest it gets here is maybe in the 30's, and that's not until late January and February.. But we have some real hot summers.. 85 degrees in the shade..

9. Broke Down Ranch

Broke Down Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Texas
    Quote:I wish we had that kind of heat in the shade - one summer we were 110 in the shade...but you guys have worse humidity than we do....

Back on topic - CONGRATS on your goat! It sounds like you have a gameplan and are willing to work it. I know how stoked I am about my goats [​IMG]

10. Nupine

Nupine Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2007
    Ohio
    Congrats!! Why does she have to stay there when she kids??? It isn't that hard to handle!!!!!
    Ashlyn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by