ill hen

One of my pullets died this morning. I know how you feel
hugs.gif

I lost a hen last week. Also a battery hen, but a young one. She wasn't in the batteries long. Phoned the vet who came and looked at her, but she died as he left. They collected her for an autopsy, not sure how I feel about that! Still waiting for results.
I want to rescue ex-battery hens too. Had some ordered and all, but the farmer is under quarantine now, so I can't buy his hens. Very disappointing! I've wanted to this for so long!
Sorry to hear about your hen and thanks for caring. Wish we had more people like you in this world:hugs

Sumi thank you for your kind words it is my goal in life to help as many as these poor hens as I possibly can. I know how u feel about losing your girl and I really am sorry for your loss. Just know that we did give them a life that they should have had from the beginning and that they did get to experience happiness because of our actions and love. I hope they're in Chickie heaven and only know their happy memories. Pls keep me posted about when you rescue your girls I would be very interested to hear of their progress when you can get some :)

Quote:
Don't read this if you are a big chicken lover, like me. But since you asked, here it is in short:
A battery farm is a place where they keep chickens in rows and rows of tiny cages (batteries), each hen is allowed a space smaller than an A4 sheet of paper. To stop them hurting each other they burn the hen's beaks off when they are still tiny chicks and some hatcheries cut their toes off as well.
hit.gif

The hens stay in there until they stop laying well enough (a few months), then they get culled. Many of these hens end up at fast food restaurants.
Unless they get given a second chance by someone like the angel who started this thread.
thumbsup.gif

There are millions of these hens trapped in batteries all over the world, but the good news is that from January 2013 battery cages will be banned in the EU countries:weee

Quote:
I'll do that.
Wanted to ask you something, I'm assuming your hens have been debeaked:( If so, what do you feed them and how do you feed them?
I have 36 hens here that I bought last year from a battery farm at 16 weeks old. Some of them have such blunt beaks they have difficulty eating. One of my hens come to eat inside our house every day, because it takes her so long to get her crop full. She lost weight and got so thin, she stayed in the house with us for about 5 weeks, getting fed all day long.
I get so angry when I look at her, I often think how much I'd love to go
duc.gif
rant.gif

I'm really glad there are people like you who love these chickens and are willing to take them to heaven BEFORE they die.
A big "Thank You" and a
hugs.gif

Last edited:
True, when you tie up your dog the animal protection people are onto you, but it's o.k. to shove a hen into a tiny cage and leave her there for months. How does that work?
The things that happen chicken hatcheries are terrible too. I turned my back on the commercial chicken business 2 years ago. I do not eat chicken or battery eggs. Won't touch it. No more cruel food for me, thanks!
Big
thumbsup.gif
to the BYC'ers who do things properly and make the world a better place for chickens.

Back
Top Bottom