Ill Khaki Campbell, need advise UPDATE: COCOA PASSED AWAY ;-(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kysilkies, Aug 26, 2011.

  1. kysilkies

    kysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

    876
    81
    188
    May 3, 2009
    Elizabethtown, KY
    We have a Khako Campbell that all of the sudden seems very lethargic and isn't eating normally...She was fine until we let her roam one day...Could something have bitten her that could give her trouble eating?...it's been 5-6 days....She constantly wants to close her eyes and is a little off balance when she does walk(not sure if it from being so tired or whatever)...Any thoughts?...She was absolutely normal before that...She's also very light when I picked her up...Anything we can feed her to that if eaten in small quantities will put on some weight or give her what she needs the most?...She has always been a roaming duck but we just moved about 2 weeks ago and haven't let her roam until the other day...Thank you in advance...

    She's much older now than in the picture below...

    [​IMG]
     
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  2. Miss Lydia

    Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

    69,930
    5,662
    671
    Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:could she have gotten into some moldy feed or eaten someting around the property, possibly botulism? here is a link that may help. it's a rather large dose but you can break it down for her, This is by threehorses.. I hope this helps. Then you need to do a flush please. Do you have molasses or epsom salts?

    I like the molasses flush personally. But either will work and is necessary either for extreme mold mycotoxins or botulism; same treatment, different followup that can be done for both.
    ---------- from MSUCares -----------------
    Molasses Solution

    Add one pint of molasses to 5 gallons of water

    Offer the drinking solution free-choice to the affected birds for about four hours. Treat severely affected birds individually if they cannot drink. Return the birds to regular water after the treatment period.


    - or -


    If the birds are not eating, use the water solution. If the birds are unable to eat or drink by themselves, use individual treatment with:

    1 teaspoon of Epsom Salt in 1 fl oz water

    Place the solution in the crop of the affected bird. This same amount of solution will treat 5-8 quail or one chicken.
    --------------------------------------------------

    On molasses, 1 pint = 16 ounces (or we'll say 15 ounces)

    divide that by 5 you'll have just over 3 ounces per 1 gallon of water.
    30 cc's = one ounce, so 90 cc's = 3 ounces.
    Divide that by four, and you'll get 22 cc's per quart waterer.

    1 ounce = 6 teaspoons; thus 3 ounces = 18 teaspoons; since we said a little more than 3 ounces, if we round up to 20 teaspoons it's 20 teaspoons/1 gallon.

    4 quarts to the gallon means 5 teaspoons molasses per quart of water.

    Do this for four hours - she must get the water as her only source of water. Adding some electrolytes to it doesn't hurt, or you can give her electrolyte water afterwards. I mix some yogurt in the water to replace good bacteria as well.

    You must flush out the toxins to heal her. I like the molasses as it's more mild. After the flush, you have to replace her electrolytes to heal her and the yogurt in the water helps. Tomorrow try to get her to eat dampened crumbles with yogurt, some polyvisol vitamins as mold toxins deplete oil vitamins. (3 drops in the beak, the Polyvisol baby vitamin without iron from the vitamin section of drug stores, oddly not the baby section).

    Clean up all her droppings in case it's botulism, though more likely it's from soured food.

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Nathalie Ross [email protected]
    (http://hoovesandfeathers.homestead.com/index.html in progress)
    Offline
    Report | Quote
     
  3. kysilkies

    kysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

    876
    81
    188
    May 3, 2009
    Elizabethtown, KY
    We're pretty picky about cleaning their water containers and bowls used to feed them, no mold(I went and checked when I read your post)...Wouldn't this have affected the birds that share her feeders?...We recently moved so everything is very clean and fresh...

    What about a bite from something?...Hornet?...Bad bug?...Spider?...It looks like one of her cheeks is a little swelled and her neck seems thin...I checked her but couldn't see any holes to indicate a bite...

    Thank you for the response and we will try the molasses as it can't hurt and you never know...Anything else?
     
  4. Miss Lydia

    Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

    69,930
    5,662
    671
    Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Okay so water and feed is fresh, how about picking something up while she was wandering about? and she could have gotten bit too, spiders can make a person pretty sick, I'm sure can do the same to an animal. is she eating and drinking at all? I hope she starts to feel better, if a bite of some kind hopefully improvement over the next few days, or if she ate something she shouldn't have hopefully the molasses water will help her get rid of it. Please post back how she is doing tomorrow.
     
  5. kysilkies

    kysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

    876
    81
    188
    May 3, 2009
    Elizabethtown, KY
    I just replaced their water with the molasses mixture and yes, she eats and drinks, but eats very little....
     
  6. kysilkies

    kysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

    876
    81
    188
    May 3, 2009
    Elizabethtown, KY
    So far, no improvement...
     
  7. veronicasmom

    veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

    1,323
    46
    171
    Aug 31, 2009
    Toxic plant, mine did a similar thing after eating deadly nightshade.
     
  8. kysilkies

    kysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

    876
    81
    188
    May 3, 2009
    Elizabethtown, KY
    Quote:How did you handle it?
     
  9. kysilkies

    kysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

    876
    81
    188
    May 3, 2009
    Elizabethtown, KY
    Oh snap, left out something...He left eye has been closed, not swollen, just closed...Today I took some water and rubbed it as it looked 'stuck' and puss came out...
     
  10. Miss Lydia

    Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

    69,930
    5,662
    671
    Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Sounds to me like you've got something else going on, I believe I'd get terrimycin eye ointment for the eye. but how does she sound in her lungs? respiatory track, can you hear any gurrgles or is she breathing from her mouth? Might be time to try an antibiotic. Hopefully someone who has been through this will weigh in. I hate to put them on an antibiotic needlessly but sometimes it comes to that. what does the eye it self look like could something have poked her in the eye or doesn it seem like cold? How old is she?
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by