I'll leave home tomorrow and i need an info

Waves

I feed chickens with italian pizza. No,I'm joking!
Apr 16, 2019
Centre of Italy
Hi guys and happy new year
I have to go away for 4 days and temperatures umpredictable are going down. Minimum temperature is about - 1,-2 grades centigrades. I putted Apple cider vinegar in the water but the waterer is metallic. Could metal be eroded it and be dangerous in 4days?

Another question: i forgot today and yesterday to give to my 6 yy old hen her daily Black cabbage (she s a bit anaemic but no lices only a few afte treatment but i reapply the powder today). Is this a problem? She s sleeping now!

My Flock will be alone in these days.
Thank you very much

Take the ACV out of the water. It is not good in a metal container, and frankly ACV does nothing to help chickens. It is okay to use occasionally, but no real remedy. What is black cabbage? Is that similar to red? Feeding some cooked liver would probide plenty of iron and B complex vitamins for her. For chickens who are going to be on their own for several days, if no one can look in on them daily, I would put an extra container of food and water out that is secure from being turned over. If she is in a coop that is fairly warm and draft-free, she should be able to withstand freezing temperatures.

Are you from Italy? - I mean because of the Black Cabbage - had to actually look it up.
The much i hate things made out of plastic, in the end i got back to plastic waterers. They are more hygienic and easier to clean than the metal ones. I had a metal waterer for my ducks that did not even last a year and started to rust even without vinegar in the water.
Usually those metal waterers are made from iron sheets and coated with a very thin layer of zinc and yes, zinc is a very reactive metal that reacts easy with any kind of acid, even lemon juice will leave a stain on your waterer.
It won't become dangerous in four days though, but i would switch to a plastic waterer in the near future.
That brings me to the four days your flock would be alone: You are locking them up in a secure run, where they are safe from any predators? - Four days should be fine then, if they have enough food and water plus a reserve amount, should your trip last longer than four days due to unforeseeable circumstances. (I have spent several nights on airports due to cancelled flights…)
So black cabbage? Never heart that before. I feed my ducks red cabbage from time to time, the carotenoides in there deepen the colour of the egg yolks significantly.

upload_2020-1-1_12-22-27.jpeg

Black cabbage, similar to kale

Are you from Italy? - I mean because of the Black Cabbage - had to actually look it up.
The much i hate things made out of plastic, in the end i got back to plastic waterers. They are more hygienic and easier to clean than the metal ones. I had a metal waterer for my ducks that did not even last a year and started to rust even without vinegar in the water.
Usually those metal waterers are made from iron sheets and coated with a very thin layer of zinc and yes, zinc is a very reactive metal that reacts easy with any kind of acid, even lemon juice will leave a stain on your waterer.
It won't become dangerous in four days though, but i would switch to a plastic waterer in the near future.
That brings me to the four days your flock would be alone: You are locking them up in a secure run, where they are safe from any predators? - Four days should be fine then, if they have enough food and water plus a reserve amount, should your trip last longer than four days due to unforeseeable circumstances. (I have spent several nights on airports due to cancelled flights…)
So black cabbage? Never heart that before. I feed my ducks red cabbage from time to time, the carotenoides in there deepen the colour of the egg yolks significantly.

thnak you all.
i never putted acv in that waterer and i would use it only for avoid freezing of the water.
the run is safe and they experienced others occasions of trips (even 7days) and all went well :)
There is food and water for all. Only thing i wondered is that water could freeze and they could get disidraheted. because of this i putted the ACV. but then i read that it could be dangerous with metal so i thought: Can it be dangerous in 4 days?

The problem about kale is that i usually give to Marina some kale to integrate iron because she had some lices (now no more). Yesterday and today, i didn't give it to her. i wondered if it was a problem cause when i remembered it she was sleeping and she didn't want to eat it..

tomorrow i'll leave in early morning and i have only that metal waterer.
temperatures went down only today so i couldn't provide before...

What should i do?
Thbak you uys you are so helpful..:)

thnak you all.

tomorrow i'll leave in early morning and i have only that metal waterer.
temperatures went down only today so i couldn't provide before...

What should i do?
Thbak you uys you are so helpful..:)
One advantage of a metal waterer is that (tank) water heaters work well with those. Talking about things like this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HHQDPM/?tag=backy-20
I have seen members here who have just taken some cinder blocks, put a lamp in the center and the metal waterer on top.

Back
Top Bottom