Ill probably lurk a lot until I actually know stuff.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Mr Hen, May 29, 2012.

1. Mr Hen

Mr Hen In the Brooder

May 28, 2012
    Southern Missouri
    My wife recently brought home 20 chicks. There are 4 breeds 5 of each. We have no idea what breeds. We have a black breed, an orange breed, a yellow with orange head breed and a smaller brown variegated breed. One of the orange ones looks like it is a rooster. His name is Mr. Hen.

In a search for coops, I was not happy with the ones that I saw being sold, so I decided to convert a shed from Lowes with a loft. It has been a grueling 6 weeks, but it's finally up and the chickens are out in it. I'll post pictures when I get a few and access to a real Internet connection. I'm sure I made lots of mistakes, but I'll learn. Hopefully, I won't learn at the expense of my chickens.

Right now, my most pressing problem is the windows and vents. I need to protect from rain, heat and cold.

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Crowing

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG] . Don't feel bad about not having a vast knowledge of poultry at this point. We all started out as newbies as well.

3. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Songster

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    [​IMG] and congrats on the new chickens! What type of shed wood? All of my coops have windows that hinge on the top so, they lift up/open by a pully from outside the run. I put j-channel on top of the windows so they don't leak and because they swing up - most times they can be open and rain will not get in. They are covered with alum. screen and hardware cloth on the inside and can be locked shut from the inside too. Vents are on both side walls under the drip-edge

4. weimarmama

weimarmama Crowing

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

5. [​IMG] [​IMG] from washington state glad you joined us!

6. sumi

sumi Égalité

Jun 28, 2011
    Tipperary, Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC! Do post pictures of you scoop and chicks. We'd love to see them and I'm sure someone here can help you identify the breeds [​IMG]

7. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Hello and :welcome

Love the name of your rooster! :lol: Don't worry about not knowing so much, it took me a few years of chicken owning till I actually learned a inkling of something that would allow me to help others. :p You can also check out the other social sections and participate there, if you're not so confident about giving advice yet.

Hardware cloth is good for keeping things predator proof, if you want to keep out the rain you can cover the coop with some tarp temporarily and string up a light.

Don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have, and enjoy the site. :D

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  8. Mr Hen

Mr Hen In the Brooder

May 28, 2012
    Southern Missouri
    Here is the exterior of my coop. The window on the left has now been fixed like the one on the right and it has a fan in it.

[​IMG]

Here is the interior with my daughter. This was taken Sunday.

[​IMG]

I tried to take pictures this morning to show the loft, door and fan I have set up, but it was still too dark.

9. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Crowing

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. Nice job. :thumbsup

10. Well, that works! Nice job, creative way to put windows and coverings.

Your kid is cute too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: