I'll Show You My SetUp If You Show Me Yours! Heavy Pictures!

OMG that is Peep starting on the right, how cute baby pictures!
lau.gif
kidding aside, I never thought of a good luck object before - if it works then go for it, nice painting
wink.png
Can't wait to see the rest of your setup.
Haha in art class we had to do some paintings, and I did mine sort of last minute so 1. I am not really a painter, and 2. I didn't give myself enough time to do it! I decided to just keep it and then it randomly became my good luck hatching painting...
lol.png

Most of this setup is for peachicks I hatch out...The peachicks my peahens hatch out I let my peahens raise to adulthood so those peachicks are not moved around so much...

Once the peachicks hatch, they are moved to this baby pen. In this photo, Peep is that cute little pea perched on the top and the white peachicks are my three white spaldings. The baby pen is kept inside. I put down 1 to 2 towels inside to collect the peachick poo. I put a small dish with marbels and water in the pen and some medicated starter feed. Also I have a heat lamp in there with a small log. I cover the baby pen with a bed sheet with big clips securing it to the top.

Once the peachicks get about the size that Peep is in the above photo, they are moved to an outdoor pen in a fenced in part of our backyard. This pen was supposed to be a chicken pen, we found it for sale at the local feed store and we knew it would be great for young peafowl. This photo is kind of older. Now along with the welded wire around the outside we added chicken wire and recently we added some smaller plastic mesh to the bottom so that I can move even smaller peachicks outdoors. To make sure they stay warm I will keep a heat lamp out in the pen and at night it attracts lots of bugs and that is how the peachicks learn how to hunt bugs and they have fun chasing the bugs at night. This is also when they get used to roosting.

Then finally once the peachicks get big in this pen, we move them from our house to my Grandma's house, 2 miles away where I keep the majority of my peafowl. Our house is just for peachicks. This is a photo of a small black pen that is made up of two dog kennel kits you can buy at Home Depo...I don't know if you can still get them like this, but we combined two to get the strange L shaped one shown here. This L pen can be closed off from the larger 40x50ft. aviary. I close this off and the peachicks stay in this L pen and the adult peafowl can walk up to the fence and look in at the younger birds. (this photo is a little old, but it gives a good angle of the small L pen. I personally hate the L pen but the peafowl love to go in there all the time and hang out, so I guess since they like it I have to keep it...)

The final pen is the 40ft x 50ft and ~15ft high pen. It also has a tin covered area that the peafowl hardly use because they just go into the L pen. When moving young birds into this pen, I let them out with supervision as they walk around here. They would get picked on at first, and finally I permanently let them stay in this large pen and finally the adult birds accepted them. This pen has bamboo, several trees, and other plants. Each summer it seems to have less and less grass...I miss the way it used to look.

More photos:

Just a note here...The boxes inside this tin area are nesting boxes. The peahens have never used them. I have gotten them to use dog boxes as a nesting site, but not these. My advise is let them make a nest in the dirt as the only places my peahens have succesfully hatched chicks in were places they just scratched at in the dirt to make a nest.

One of my favorite pen photos...

Of course one pen is not enough...Here are my plans for at least two new pens and this also gives you a good idea of the shape of my existing pen.

Right now I have 12 peafowl. Tomorrow I should have 11 peafowl.
smile.png

Very beautiful set up MinxFox. It looks like a perfect beautiful habitat for them. I love how you captured the peacock in flight. I really need you to paint a good luck picture for me this spring.

Minx,
Beautiful pictures. Nice looking male with a great train
wink.png
I like the set up and the new additions to be coming soon!

I am hoping more people will show their set ups. Newbies can learn from this thread cause everyone has different size pens and such. Some people have large pens some have smaller pens so lets see them
wink.png
celebrate.gif
frow.gif
idunno.gif
thumbsup.gif
highfive.gif

Back
Top Bottom