Illegalization of Muscovy Ducks!

You want Muscovies? Just come to South Florida, bring a big box, and you can collect as many as you want to carry!

With their growing popularity they really will need to be regulated. They breed like bunnies and could easily become a nuisance in more areas.

in places they are such a problem have an open season on them..but more regulation isnt going to fix the problem,and when they realize it doesnt fix the problem they will just add more regulation and eventually they will be banned even from farms and backyards..thats how this government works..they want to think for us so we walk around like a bunch of stupid sheep (no offense to sheep owners) and do what we are told..I for one can take mighty fine care of myself and my critters if they would just leave me alone..the problem is when something doesnt work they add more laws and rules that still dont work,when all that needs to be done with the feral ducks is elimination..shotguns do wonders

I don't think we need to worry about Muscovies taking over the world. They are a S. American duck and as such thrive in the wild in warmer climes. Granted they adapt to a degree, as many other species do, but in colder climates they need protection in the winter fm frostbite. I noticed my Scovies, though they came to me fm a breeder who had them pretty much outdoors this winter, when they had the chance to stay in out of the wind and cold, Did. They much preferred the shed to snow and cold. I don't believe you would have a large wild breeding population north. If the bitter winters didn't kill them off then you have plenty of large predators. They may be a foreign species & rather invasive in some areas of the country but not all. The gov., as always, is making too broad of a law with this I will have a hard time enforcing it.
Tagging all your ducklings by 6wks that you want to grow out for your family to eat at 10-12 wks ..... yeeesh!!!! Sorry, to all those who keep Muscovy Only as pets. I love my Scovies also, but I also want to eat. Pllussss, this is how I talked DH into letting me have them.
wink.png

I think Muscovy ducks are right up there with Silkies and Naked Necks/Showgirls.... they are UUUhhhhhOOooooooggggly as a stump witch!

Do like they do in some places in Florida with the iguanas. Put a $10-$25 bounty on each brought in.
tongue.png

Hailing from Canada that just sounds bizarre - but if they are growing like the rest of the invasive species we do have problems with here - I can see the concern. Bad apples ruin it for the rest of us!

I'm having issues with a neighbour that cannot keep their muscovy's on their own property. My concerns are:
1. we live across from a small lake which is a sanctuary for wild and migrating birds and they are frequenting the lake - scaring the smaller ones off
2. I also have ducks and do not want them bringing in disease. I realize the wild ones can as well (we do have a large pond), but I would rather people contain their animals.
3. I have no wish to be feeding them when they find the feed source.

I take responsibility for mine. If I ever heard of them leaving the property I would investigate/mend or add to all my fences.

I really wish people would contain their animals too... but I still have dogs hanging around my coop in the middle of the night and I can't get them to pass a leash law around here they'll enforce to save my life!

In general, we'd have a lot less issues with animal population control if we stopped developing their land as well.... that again isn't an acceptable law for them to make.

There either has to be a middle ground or they shouldn't out law such a thing.

I have muscovy ducks,They are very sweet,I was told when my hen hatched off she would be just like a old mamma hen,is by her babies,She has not once tryed to get us when we get around the ducklings,They are trying to fix it where we cant have any kind of a animal period.not even a chicken,or a goldfish that matter,they need to mind there own business.

I'm not trying to thread jack but it's all about the all mighty tax dollar. They are trying to control what you have, to not allow you to make a buck, unless you have the "privilege" of paying for that right. My husband told me that they are also trying to pass a law that allows you only so many chickens and what to do if they hatch out babies, or die. Come on...seriously. Hello...what the heck is happening here? Our we all sheep? Now they are trying to control the more self sufficent??
barnie.gif
And even though we see it, how do we change it!?!
he.gif

Back
Top Bottom