Illinois...

I live in Ottawa on the south side and have been searching for information as to whether I can have back yard chickens. The county has no ordinances against it and I have looked on the city site and can not find anything relating to chickens. So can I have them???? If anyone can help advise me i would appreciate any help I can get in this matter before I purchase a chicken coop and chickens.

Thanx

A big "HI" from Unincorporated Naperville, where the ordinances are hard to find and (for me anyway) exist as rumors! I figure I'll follow the "don't ask don't tell" policy, I have the support of all my neighbors.

Currently I'm up to a whopping 1 Australorp and 1 Bantam Cochin!

Ewe Sheep (and those who want to know):
You and I were on another thread by "Kuntrygirl" back in December and she was talking about what the state of Louisianna required for NPIP. I said I'd copy down the questions & repsonses by her inspector and compare them with Illinois. I did have that peice of paper with the questions but my inspector was not very sure of the answers on some and not forthcomming on others. I decided to stop questioning him as I was going to be trained shortly and could ask the questions in class. Since that time I have myself become an independent tester. I learned alot. It was a great class although I had to drive 1 1/2 one way to get there. Kuntrygirl's inspector was incorrect about a few things as this is a nation wide program and is standardized across state lines. I am submitting you, and my fellow Illinoisian the truth directly from the Illinois Department of Agriculture.

Illinois Department of Agriculture, Bureau of Animal Health and Welfare PO box 19281, Springfield, IL 62794-9281, 217-782-4944

*TO ALL NEW NPIP PARTICIPANTS*
Being a member of the National Poultry Improvement Plan ( NPIP ) means more than only having to test your flock one time a year instead of prior to each exhibition or sale event. After the initial flock test and signing the Hatchery/Flock Agreement, your responsibility does not end there. Belonging to the NPIP means you, as a flock owner, agree with the concept of disease prevention and control in your flock.

Membership in the NPIP program projects t others that you realize the importance of protecting your flock from disease by following strict biosecurity measures. This may be as simple as not visiting other flocks (even those of your friends) and returning directly to your flock without washing your hands and changing your boots: and not letting other flock owners into your building or pens. Another biosecurity measure of utmost importance is NOT purchasing birds from non-NPIP scources. The following is from the USDA NPIP and Auxiliary Provisions part 145.4 (d):

Except as provided by this paragraph, participant in the Plan (NPIP) may not buy or receive products for any purpose from non-participants unless they are part of an equivalent program, as determined by The Official State Agency (IL Dept. of Ag). Participants in the Plan my buy or receive products for experimental purposes, under the following conditions only:

(1) With the permission of the Official State Agency and the concurrence of the Service: and
(2) By segregation of all birds before introduction into the breeding flock. Upon reaching sexual maturity, the segregated birds must be tested and found negative for Pullorum-Typhoid. The Official State Agency may require a second test at it’s discretion.

This refers to purchasing birds at swap meets, shows, fairs, or from any individuals who are not NPIP members. Birds may be purchased from these sources if the following conditions are met:

(1) The birds MUST be kept separate form your flock (separate building or pen with NO contact what-so-ever) for a period of 2 weeks for mature birds, or until they reach sexual maturity (for chicks) to observe for any illness in the purchased birds.
(2) The birds MUST be tested for Pullorum-Typhoid after the 2 week period or sexual maturity prior to co-mingling with your flock.

Another requirement of NPIP members is to make sure they have their flock tested annually. IT IS UP TO YOU AS THE FLOCK OWNER to keep track of your anniversary date (the date of your initial flock test) and to contact a private tester to test your flock for Pullorum-Typhoid. Be sure to give your assigned Approval number (NPIP#) to your tester to put on the 9-2 form so it will count as your annual test. An annual test done outside of the specified time frame may not be accepted and result in expulsion form the program for a period up to 3 years (refer to “C” on your copy of the Hatchery/Flock Agreement). Also, you must notify our office at 217-782-4944 if you sell all of your birds, even if you plan to get more in the future, or if you no longer wish to be in the NPIP program.

Phew! That was it. Direct from them with no additions or omissions. My little fingers are tired!

So, if any one needs their flock tested by an independent tester I am now certified to do it. I must stress I am NOT certified to get anyone's flock into the NPIP program. That first test must be done with a representative of the State of Illinois, but it's really easy to get an appointment with them. I am certified to do the re-tests you need on an annual basis AFTER you are already in the program to keep up your certification AND I am certified to do singular birds, not already in the NPIP program so you can take them to the shows.

Last edited:
Paradise, THANK YOU!!!! Phew, that is alot to follow but easy if one takes it one by one and once that is said and done, it's all downhill in procedures and make a short work for everyone!

Back
Top Bottom