Illinois...

I have been straining bacon grease through a coffee filter and using it to fry eggs. I decided to try it for grilled cheese. It didn't have the full flavor I was hoping for but the texture was perfect. Very crisp but the bread was perfect. Butter can moisten the bread but not this way.

20210114_114520.jpg

Townships and county infractions get submitted to adjudication where fines are determined if not compliant. Up to $500 per day from first notice.

They can bring it! When I am not scooping chicken poop or trying to raise reasonably decent kids, I'm a lawyer. I'm usually not overly argumentative when I'm not getting paid to do it, but somebody messes with my kids or my pets and they meet the business end of my tiara.

Would anyone here (Chicago suburbs) be interested in some Leghorn chicks around May5th? I have an opportunity to purchase some inexpensive eggs via U of I. From a hatch three years ago we kept Tillie. Although I never really cared for Leghorns, she turned out to be a fun, silly bird who laid for more than 360 days straight. No days off. Loved having eggs in winter, so the next year, we kept Millie. It's nice to get 10-14 eggs per week in December -just from those 2 hens! Hey, I need some chickens to actually work to support the flock.

Normally by now I have some classrooms lined up for spring hatching, but with Covid no one is planning ahead. I'm debating if I should place an order or skip the leghorns this year. Min order is 2 doz eggs.

So, is anyone considering adding Leghorns this spring?
When do we have to let you know?

When do we have to let you know?
I need to order eggs by Feb 3rd.

It's the 2 doz min order that give me pause. I have always been able to make back the cost of eggs by selling Leghorn chicks for $4-5. (Or someone comes along and offers a lower price for the entire hatch.) Not sure how Covid will affect chick sales. I don't want to get stuck with a brooder filled with 30-40 chicks.

I can use my flock's eggs if I'm just hatching for my own kids. When I need eggs for 5-7 classrooms, I buy the Leghorns eggs and also ask fellow BYC friends for help filling the incubators. So far, one preschool closed down and the 2 park districts are not having any in-person programs.

Monday... I don't mind the running around with DS I do on Mondays, but I don't look forward to starting the work week again. I feel like I don't really escape work or home anymore. I'm mentally exhausted. And I don't even want to take a vacation because there's not place I wasn't to go right now and I really don't want to be on a plane these days. :hmm

Monday... I don't mind the running around with DS I do on Mondays, but I don't look forward to starting the work week again. I feel like I don't really escape work or home anymore. I'm mentally exhausted. And I don't even want to take a vacation because there's not place I wasn't to go right now and I really don't want to be on a plane these days. :hmm

It's really hard being home so much. There's no division between work, home and everything else. At least in the "old days" the time was broken up and you could look forward to coming home. I realized recently that I spend most of my waking hours in the same 11x11 room in the house. Probably why I keep running away to Disney as often as I can. Caught myself looking at discounted rooms for this month again. 😜 And then told myself to get back to work.

Back
Top Bottom