Illinois...

Just catching up finally. Down in FL this week. It's been fun for the most part - beaches, the scenic drive on hwy 1, seeing and feeding alligators and other animals and just exploring. Then tonight we ended up at the ER because DS had an bad allergic reaction. Pretty sure he is allergic to shellfish just like me. He tested negative for shellfish allergy a year ago in a prick test, but the bunch of shrimp he had for dinner was the only likely culprit. Anyhow, he is doing better now that he got an epi shot, benedryl, steroids and a breathing treatment. We didn't get back to our lodging until about 3am EST though. Just happy he is better. Tomorrow is our last full day here so we are hoping he wakes up in good spirits to have some laid back fun at the beach.

Also, we pick up our puppy on the way home on Saturday!!! (Leaving Friday, but it's a long drive...)
Oh no, glad ds is getting better.
Other than that, glad it's been a good time

Just catching up finally. Down in FL this week. It's been fun for the most part - beaches, the scenic drive on hwy 1, seeing and feeding alligators and other animals and just exploring. Then tonight we ended up at the ER because DS had an bad allergic reaction. Pretty sure he is allergic to shellfish just like me. He tested negative for shellfish allergy a year ago in a prick test, but the bunch of shrimp he had for dinner was the only likely culprit. Anyhow, he is doing better now that he got an epi shot, benedryl, steroids and a breathing treatment. We didn't get back to our lodging until about 3am EST though. Just happy he is better. Tomorrow is our last full day here so we are hoping he wakes up in good spirits to have some laid back fun at the beach.

Also, we pick up our puppy on the way home on Saturday!!! (Leaving Friday, but it's a long drive...)
Very grateful you knew what was happening & got him to the ER.

Hope you enjoy your last few days of vacation.... and of course the new puppy. Please post pics when you get back.

When looking through some pics last night, I found some of Cookie with her turkey babies. Not only was she a good mama to chicks, but she cared for her babies long after they grew larger than her. She was the leader & they were her bodyguards
IMG_4788 (2).JPG

Easter Hatch, Early birds: I have 2 lav orpingtons, 1 black orp, & a serama peeping away inside the incubator. Most of the other eggs look on-time and are pipped.

April 24th hatch: I couldn't wait and candled at 5 days.....
@BReeder! My guess is 6 out of 8 duck eggs are developing
@homeschoolin momma 11 out of 12 may have veining. #12 is a maybe
@Molpet I could not see veins, but all 12 have a darker area at top. Your turkeys often have 100% fertility

Easter Hatch, Early birds: I have 2 lav orpingtons, 1 black orp, & a serama peeping away inside the incubator. Most of the other eggs look on-time and are pipped.

April 24th hatch: I couldn't wait and candled at 5 days.....
@Molpet I could not see veins, but all 12 have a darker area at top. Your turkeys often have 100% fertility
Which is amazing since I think some were the first eggs a couple laid.

There’s no ONE hen to take her place but I do have a broody pair getting ready to adopt my Easter Hatch-a-long chicks. My serama and her daughter (her adopted modern game bantam) are working together. The serama sits on the eggs and the MGB sits on the serama. :lol:

I may get another bantam Orpington some day..... if I find a breeder with the English type. They are very hard to find.

Cookie was an extra egg given to me with some shipped lav orp eggs. What a pleasant surprise she was!
Very very sorry for your loss!

Just catching up here!

@Faraday40 I'm so sorry! Cookie was a pretty amazing little chicken and I know she'll leave a big hole to fill.

@Molpet sorry about the ER trip but the rest of the trip sounds great and I can't wait to see the new pup!

I now have 11 layers!!! All the babies are laying and Wanda Beth still refuses but I think I am just coming to terms with the fact that she is going to forever be a useless freeloader. She's awfully pretty but kind of a PITA so we'll see how long her freeloading days last.

A park in Gainesville FL is a must see if you are in the area. I dont remember the park name but it was something to do with a sink. There is a walking path and a low lake just a few feet below is natural alligators. Pets are not allowed. Watch your step, we almost stepped on a snake while viewing the gators.

Back
Top Bottom