Illinois...

So here are some breed guesses:
1st row
pic 1
black australorp, blk orpington, or blk sex link top left
with a Rhode island red or hybrid of a rir like isa brown, cherry egger, etc. top right
chipmunk chick in center has belly like a cream legbar, welsummer, or brown leghorn
the two multitone gray chicks have "cheeks" (muffs) like Easter Eggers/ olive eggers
pic 2
Easter Egger (EE)
pic 3
Rhode Island Red (RIR) or hybrid RIR

2nd Row
pic1
pic2 Legs are feathered so perhaps marans (is this same chick?
pic3 at least 3 of them have the cheeks of EEs

3rd row
pic 1
blue or lavender Amerucana (or EE) Either way very pretty female
Pic 2
The one in back may have feathered legs and muffs - so could be an olive egger.
Pic 3
The black and white striped is a Barred Rock
Light chick is an Easter Egger
black chick is black australorp, blk sex link or maybe blk orpington
The one you think might be barred rock is one I’m confused about. I have 4 that look the same. However, 2 have the yellow legs, while 2 have more of a light pink legs.

Barred rock chickens have black and white striped feathers and a single comb. Chicks are black with a white head spot on top. Legs are yellowish with black wash on front. Ones with darker legs and round head spots are female. Ones with irreg shaped head spots and lighter legs (less black) are male. Dominiques look the same and are sexed the same - except they have a rose comb. (The Dom's barring is more fuzzy so it's technically called "cuckoo". )

I think black sex link chicks are all black if female and have a head spot if male. The hens' feathers are mostly black with some red leakage while the males would have some type of barred feathers.

Barred rock chickens have black and white striped feathers and a single comb. Chicks are black with a white head spot on top. Legs are yellowish with black wash on front. Ones with darker legs and round head spots are female. Ones with irreg shaped head spots and lighter legs (less black) are male. Dominiques look the same and are sexed the same - except they have a rose comb. (The Dom's barring is more fuzzy so it's technically called "cuckoo". )

I think black sex link chicks are all black if female and have a head spot if male. The hens' feathers are mostly black with some red leakage while the males would have some type of barred feathers.
That is what I have read about the sex links….and since I ordered hens, I don’t see them being sex links. They do have the black wash in front with the yellowing…the pink legs are solid pink no black to them. Also there is one out of the 4 that is a lighter color, almost grey. I think I have pictures of all of them. I have a new phone and some of the photos didn’t switch over. Once I find them I will upload them.

That is what I have read about the sex links….and since I ordered hens, I don’t see them being sex links. They do have the black wash in front with the yellowing…the pink legs are solid pink no black to them. Also there is one out of the 4 that is a lighter color, almost grey. I think I have pictures of all of them. I have a new phone and some of the photos didn’t switch over. Once I find them I will upload them.
So I thought the pink didn’t have a splash of black but they do…

Attachments

• A10707BC-D31D-4B50-810F-D0C0EC21B8BB.jpeg
    A10707BC-D31D-4B50-810F-D0C0EC21B8BB.jpeg
    632.7 KB · Views: 1
  • C5C47FC3-814F-4736-8F83-99385CF06F11.jpeg
    C5C47FC3-814F-4736-8F83-99385CF06F11.jpeg
    615.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 5AB8267B-BECA-40E9-8E1A-05821C14EE8E.jpeg
    5AB8267B-BECA-40E9-8E1A-05821C14EE8E.jpeg
    911.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 32B48710-2A40-4289-9F57-35D3DE50113C.jpeg
    32B48710-2A40-4289-9F57-35D3DE50113C.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
The wicked storm raced thru my area Monday evening. There was a short power off, but came back on after a minute. DS lost power for a few hours. He is near Ohare where they registered a 84 MPH wind gust. As well as many slower ones during the passing storm.
I secured all outdoor things best I could,,, but nothing flew away. No visible broken trees in the immediate area.
How did the rest of you in the Northeast Illinois area do??

The wicked storm raced thru my area Monday evening. There was a short power off, but came back on after a minute. DS lost power for a few hours. He is near Ohare where they registered a 84 MPH wind gust. As well as many slower ones during the passing storm.
I secured all outdoor things best I could,,, but nothing flew away. No visible broken trees in the immediate area.
I was eyeballing that storm all evening, heard the sirens go off north of me. Put the scaredy cat on the basement just in case it took a turn further south, but only a few rain drops.

So I thought the pink didn’t have a splash of black but they do…
They look like BRs. They're hatchery quality, so may have some physical traits that don't conform to APA standards. But, they're females, will lay eggs and you'll learn what breeds fit your needs best. You may get an accidental male oops, but so far I don't see any obvious cockerels.

If any of those have a flattened comb, then it's probably a Dominique. BRs are more popular, but those Doms are very nice.

Glad you're OK.

I was rushing to get some plants moved into the garden and take advantage of the forecasted rain. I was putting away my tools as the sky darkened and the sirens went off when I was putting the chickens in. It looked very dark, but we got absolutely NO RAIN. I actually had to go back outside to water in the evening.

Back
Top Bottom