Illinois...

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by mothergoose, Jan 13, 2007.

1. ParadiseFoundFarm

ParadiseFoundFarm Goddess of Good Things

Jul 6, 2010
    Joliet, IL
    Quote:PMing you

2. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Quote:That seems reasonable! How much do you charge for more than 10 birds? (We have quite a few more than 10 here. [​IMG] )
    I just mapquested and from Joliet to Shumway. It was 195 miles so .25 per mile is $48.75.
    Any other expenses? Really interested in getting NPIP. My biggest interest is getting my Guineas and Ducks, NPIP'ed. The chickens are out in their own coop. Would I need to get them tested also?

That sounds like a big horror story right there! I can't beleive they wouldn't let you inside to wash up! Heck I'd let you use our shower if you wanted to!
    I also find it hard to beleive they didn't have an outside water faucet.. We have 2. One in back and one in front. Even our grandma has one and doesn't even use it! Well she does use to clean her lawn-mower and washes dirty things out there that she doesn't want to bring inside.

Oh and if you were wondering, Here's out set-up. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is our Guinea and Duck coops. The Chickens are housed in the barn which we sectioned off a 1/4 of it for them.

Please PM when you see this! Would be nice to meet you! I've met Robin and it was very nice! Wish we could have talked longer, but we had to get back to the Pizza place to eat since we wanted to get home as soon as possible since we had a little birdie ridin home with us. [​IMG]

3. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    Are there any other NPIP testers in southern IL. I live down near carbondale and joliet to cdale is about 300 miles. I would like to be tested some day.

4. ParadiseFoundFarm

Jul 6, 2010
    Joliet, IL
    Dear DuckLover and Flower child:

I can only RE-certify. I cannot certify your farm NPIP.

Illinois NPIP process is this:
    1) You must call the Illinois State Dept of Ag @ 217-782-4944 and make a free appointment for an Illinois Employed Inspector to come out to your property and do the initial inspection and certification.
    2) You must keep up your certification by abiding by all the rules set out in the program. Such as but not limited to: buying only from NPIP certified farms except under certain circumstances specifically written out.
    3) To keep your certification, you must contact some one like me who is an Illinois Certified Tester who is not employed by the state every 364 days or less.
    4) If you are not NPIP certified, I can still test your birds to go to show, but again, I cannot certify your farm NPIP .

Call the Dept of Ag ASAP to make an appointment as they get very busy in spring and your wait time can get extremely long - they don't have many inspectors. My first wait time was 3 months as 1 inspector was not working due to a personal injury.

I hope that clears things up.

5. ParadiseFoundFarm

Jul 6, 2010
    Joliet, IL
    I found this post by me and am re-posting it to get the facts straight for everyone it is my post in this topic #1186

Ewe Sheep (and those who want to know):
    You and I were on another thread by "Kuntrygirl" back in December and she was talking about what the state of Louisiana required for NPIP. I said I'd copy down the questions & responses by her inspector and compare them with Illinois. I did have that piece of paper with the questions but my inspector was not very sure of the answers on some and not forthcoming on others. I decided to stop questioning him as I was going to be trained shortly and could ask the questions in class. Since that time I have myself become an independent tester. I learned a lot. It was a great class although I had to drive 1 1/2 one way to get there. Kuntrygirl's inspector was incorrect about a few things as this is a nation wide program and is standardized across state lines. I am submitting you, and my fellow Illinoisan the truth directly from the Illinois Department of Agriculture.

Illinois Department of Agriculture, Bureau of Animal Health and Welfare PO box 19281, Springfield, IL 62794-9281, 217-782-4944

*TO ALL NEW NPIP PARTICIPANTS*
    Being a member of the National Poultry Improvement Plan ( NPIP ) means more than only having to test your flock one time a year instead of prior to each exhibition or sale event. After the initial flock test and signing the Hatchery/Flock Agreement, your responsibility does not end there. Belonging to the NPIP means you, as a flock owner, agree with the concept of disease prevention and control in your flock.

Membership in the NPIP program projects t others that you realize the importance of protecting your flock from disease by following strict biosecurity measures. This may be as simple as not visiting other flocks (even those of your friends) and returning directly to your flock without washing your hands and changing your boots: and not letting other flock owners into your building or pens. Another biosecurity measure of utmost importance is NOT purchasing birds from non-NPIP scources. The following is from the USDA NPIP and Auxiliary Provisions part 145.4 (d):

Except as provided by this paragraph, participant in the Plan (NPIP) may not buy or receive products for any purpose from non-participants unless they are part of an equivalent program, as determined by The Official State Agency (IL Dept. of Ag). Participants in the Plan my buy or receive products for experimental purposes, under the following conditions only:

(1) With the permission of the Official State Agency and the concurrence of the Service: and
    (2) By segregation of all birds before introduction into the breeding flock. Upon reaching sexual maturity, the segregated birds must be tested and found negative for Pullorum-Typhoid. The Official State Agency may require a second test at it’s discretion.

This refers to purchasing birds at swap meets, shows, fairs, or from any individuals who are not NPIP members. Birds may be purchased from these sources if the following conditions are met:

(1) The birds MUST be kept separate form your flock (separate building or pen with NO contact what-so-ever) for a period of 2 weeks for mature birds, or until they reach sexual maturity (for chicks) to observe for any illness in the purchased birds.
    (2) The birds MUST be tested for Pullorum-Typhoid after the 2 week period or sexual maturity prior to co-mingling with your flock.

Another requirement of NPIP members is to make sure they have their flock tested annually. IT IS UP TO YOU AS THE FLOCK OWNER to keep track of your anniversary date (the date of your initial flock test) and to contact a private tester to test your flock for Pullorum-Typhoid. Be sure to give your assigned Approval number (NPIP#) to your tester to put on the 9-2 form so it will count as your annual test. An annual test done outside of the specified time frame may not be accepted and result in expulsion form the program for a period up to 3 years (refer to “C” on your copy of the Hatchery/Flock Agreement). Also, you must notify our office at 217-782-4944 if you sell all of your birds, even if you plan to get more in the future, or if you no longer wish to be in the NPIP program.

Phew! That was it. Direct from them with no additions or omissions. My little fingers are tired!

So, if any one needs their flock tested by an independent tester I am now certified to do it. I must stress I am NOT certified to get anyone's flock into the NPIP program. That first test must be done with a representative of the State of Illinois, but it's really easy to get an appointment with them. I am certified to do the re-tests you need on an annual basis AFTER you are already in the program to keep up your certification AND I am certified to do singular birds, not already in the NPIP program so you can take them to the shows.

6. Franzen Farms

Franzen Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Wilmington, IL
    Quote:Looking forward to meeting you in March, Hope we don't turn out to be your next horror story [​IMG] lol.

7. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Quote:Just found this now..

Are you sure its free or do we have to pay for them to come out? What do they actually do when they come over? Just inspect the housing and look at the birds?

8. OSUman

OSUman GO BUCKS

Apr 17, 2009
    Central Illinois
    Quote:Just found this now..

Are you sure its free or do we have to pay for them to come out? What do they actually do when they come over? Just inspect the housing and look at the birds?

It was free when I did it this past summer, what they do is someone will come out and they will test every chicken that you have thats over like 6 mo and then look at your pens.

9. ParadiseFoundFarm

Jul 6, 2010
    Joliet, IL
    I've got a query for you mid-westerners in the same climate as mine which is why I am not starting another thread and just posting this here. You've all been very great with responses before I am counting on you to put your minds to work on this for me.

Yesterday, all was well in the new winter pen in the AM. We have Premire 1 Electric net fencing all around. Mark called me when he got home less than 4 hours after I left and told me he found our King-roo "Elvis" dead and warm. There was no injury to him at all. His eyes were bright and clear and watery, his mouth was clean and clear and moist. He was within 8" of the fence. No tracks.

Elvis was a 10lb boy who we used as protection and size increase over our smaller girls. He had great conformation with a perfect comb and tail angle and colors. He was also Mark's "pet".

I called Premire and they said it was highly unlikely, since he was not tangled in the fence, that in the fence could have electrocuted him. It just doesn't carry enough charge for a bird who has little grounding force like even this big boy.

Elvis slept inside with most of the girls and PrettyBoy outside with the rest. They would call to each other to confirm all was well and then go to sleep by nightfall. Last night, his partner "PrettyBoy" called and called for him until we went out about 10PM with flashlights to comfort him.

My blasted computer just lost all the pictures we had of them growing up and their antics. I can't even look at pictures of him to comfort myself. I miss him so terribly. What do you think happened?

10. NotAFarm

NotAFarm Embracing the New! Premium Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Illinois
    Denise, I'm so sorry to hear about Mark's favorite boy being lost. [​IMG] I have Premier electro-net fencing and have never had a problem with birds being severely harmed by it, never had one get tangled in it either. I have no idea what could have happened but would doubt the fence had anything to do with it. If you really want to know, I think I remember seeing U of I, Champaign-Urbana, listed as doing neocropsies. You would know for sure what it was and if you needed to do anything to protect the rest of your flock.
    Mary

Here is a link to the UofI vet school lab fee page....it has a phone number to call if you want to ask questions.

http://vetmed.illinois.edu/vdl/pdf/fees_july2011.pdf

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by