Illinois...

I really need to find a new home for my guinea flock, I have tried everything. I'm about to just put them up for free and see if anyone comes and gets them.
So if anyone wants them, come and get them! FREE!

Quote:
I wish... How many are there? Ill see If I can persuade some people
big_smile.png

Quote:
I wish... How many are there? Ill see If I can persuade some people
big_smile.png

Uhhh... I think theres 15 or 16.
Open for trades, too! Chickens, ducks, geese... Other bird, maybe.

Help me, Jon! My ears depend on it!
lol.png

Hey guys!

I am looking for some small bales of hay. We are planning to get a couple of sheep very soon, and we are looking for someone to supply us with hay for the rest of the winter. We are about half way between Springfield (IL) and St. Louis. Anybody know of someone?

Yeah, it is tough. I know I can count on you all, but I was worried in case something happened lat e at night or required immediate attention. Having Connor get his comb torn and the amount of blood he lost was a little bit scarey! I know hte emergency vet where we took our hamster treats birds, so I guess if I had an "ambulance case" I could take it there. And the clinic in town where we take ALL our other animals (cats, late hamster, guinea pigs, and a succession of mice) would probably do any follow-up work I need. I mean, they LOVE to see me come in!

I just looked at FIrst State Vet Supply's site, and its good to know they are there, too.

I don't know if there is anybody in this area I trust to help me out. Sadly, I hardly know any of my neighbors. How do you get to know neighbors in a little country town, anyway? THe peopel who sold me Brigid also told me she was a 1 1/2 year old laying hen. Uh-huh.
idunno.gif

Quote:
Like anywhere else, you have to "make the first move" to get to know people. We moved 10 1/2 years ago to rural Lee County. We live between a "city" with a population of 2400 and a "village" of 400. Make no mistake, you will NEVER "be from" the small town you "moved to". The people here, and there are very good people here, still consider families that moved here two generations ago as "transplants". That said, I have made friends with neighboring farmers by stopping by when they were out in their gardens and asking questions/showing interest in them, at the feed store with the women in the office by talking animals when there to buy feed, through my part-time job at the local newspaper, at our tiny church and through our sons disability service provider. Many will be skeptical of you if you moved from a city to their rural area. They resent "city people" coming out and trying to tell them how to live or trying to change things to "the way we did it in ______". I know this from listening to them. I was looking to get away from the suburban sprawl and wanted a quiet, more rural lifestyle so I understand that. Okay, this is getting long winded so I'll let others chime in. Remember, "He who would have friends must show himself friendly"!

After I posted this last night I remembered a woman I met last summer and really liked, (who also has chickens!) but then lost touch with her. I still have har e-mail on a slip of paper in my purse! Think I'll go find it and send her a note today!
smile.png

Quote:
Like anywhere else, you have to "make the first move" to get to know people. We moved 10 1/2 years ago to rural Lee County. We live between a "city" with a population of 2400 and a "village" of 400. Make no mistake, you will NEVER "be from" the small town you "moved to". The people here, and there are very good people here, still consider families that moved here two generations ago as "transplants". That said, I have made friends with neighboring farmers by stopping by when they were out in their gardens and asking questions/showing interest in them, at the feed store with the women in the office by talking animals when there to buy feed, through my part-time job at the local newspaper, at our tiny church and through our sons disability service provider. Many will be skeptical of you if you moved from a city to their rural area. They resent "city people" coming out and trying to tell them how to live or trying to change things to "the way we did it in ______". I know this from listening to them. I was looking to get away from the suburban sprawl and wanted a quiet, more rural lifestyle so I understand that. Okay, this is getting long winded so I'll let others chime in. Remember, "He who would have friends must show himself friendly"!

Darling Mary! It should be easy for you! I only met you once and want to be your best friend! Others are less likable because of shyness or awkwardness even though their heart is in the right place. I have always thought the best way to make new friends is when there is food involved. "Breaking Bread" as it were is a wonderful way to meet people without awkward silences. conversations can take m,any paths over the dinner table or when delivering a home made plate of say, cookies at this time of year. Erin: One thing I would avoid when moving out to " the country" is putting up lights that are so bright they pollute. Nothing makes a country fan more cranky than not being able to sleep in the dark and wake from the sun like a new neighbor's attempt to light up the night like they do in the city.

Actually, my neighbors are the ones with the giant klieg lights! I hate them. (the lights, not the neighbors!) For some odd reason, a large portion of this town is transplants. I think this is because we are close enough to go to Chicago if we feel like it, but far enough away so it doesn't seem like the city is that close.

I spent all last summer digging a nifty fire pit, with these visions of fantastic bonfire parties. Now I will have to invite some people!

Hi Denise!!
frow.gif

Many of the farms around us have the big "dusk to dawn" lights in their yards, but the "transplants" have them on the road by their driveway...as if they couldn't find it unless it was lighted!!
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom