Illinois...

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by mothergoose, Jan 13, 2007.

1. tbitt

tbitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    IL
    Ha... I sent you a PM before I saw this.......... [​IMG]

2. kfacres

kfacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    yes, cornish--- too bad you are so far away.

3. ParadiseFoundFarm

ParadiseFoundFarm Goddess of Good Things

Jul 6, 2010
    Joliet, IL
    I love to watch the broodies hatch the eggs and tend to young too but...
    The offspring are so much more wild even with our best efforts. Our new cock, Gorgeous George won't let me even photograph him. He won't come for treats, he won't be petted, he doesn't want anything to do with people. All the birds brought up except one, under broodies are like that. Any advice?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  4. Jerrysmom

Jerrysmom Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2012
    Plainfield IL
    I am in Illinois!! In Plainfield [​IMG]

5. NotAFarm

NotAFarm Embracing the New! Premium Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Illinois

[​IMG] and to the Illinois thread Jerrysmom!! Do you currently have chickens? If so, what kind?

6. Jerrysmom

Jerrysmom Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2012
    Plainfield IL
    Well right now I have one rooster but on March 21st I will be getting 5 buff orpingtons!! WOOOOHOOOOO There is just sooooooo much to learn and I have been hard at work looking up and reading everything I can before they get here. We do have our coop built though and I am working on the brooder. Any good advice? I will take any that anyone has to offer![​IMG]

7. NotAFarm

NotAFarm Embracing the New! Premium Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Illinois

8. ParadiseFoundFarm

Jul 6, 2010
    Joliet, IL
    First I want to say Hello to my new neighbor in Plainfield, JERRYSMOM!!!!!
    Hey girlfriend! I'm in Joliet, by the race track!!!! Welcome!!!!!!

Mary:
    All my birds are sweet tempered and unafraid of me. They come when called by flock and most, individually by name. Not when Mark does it but when I do it. The hen in question is one that does not know her name but will come when I call the flock. She is unafraid. We did hold the babies often. They just didn't want to be held. The hen never challenged us. Each and every one of them was goofy like that though. I did not show them I was the treat lady like you suggest. I will next time. Thanks for the good advice.

Denise

9. tbitt

tbitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    IL
    I was out today at the eye Dr. and while I was in the waiting area I day dreamed about what I can do here at home to "raise" yummies for the ducks and chicks.

I actually wondered about meal worms. How do you do do it NotAFarm?

And, Hello Jerrysmom. [​IMG]

I live out in nowhereville but work in Naperville, right on the Plainfield boarder.
    There are a TON of chicken hatching people not to far from you....I envy your location....You are a hop, skip and a jump from just about any breed you should ever want. ...me? Not so much. LOL

You want to know what I am using as a brooder? A large dog crate....... right in my living room [​IMG] *blush*
    I pull the door off when we are home, and put it back on when we leave or can not watch them.

10. ParadiseFoundFarm

Jul 6, 2010
    Joliet, IL
    Yes, the living room.
    all the rest of our birds grew up there.
    That is also a difference.
    Except those nasty barred rocks Mark had me get. They grew up with us, around us, enjoying the warmth of the inside of our home and peck at my hand when I collect the eggs, rarely come for treat, don't know their names, break holes in the Ameraucanas' eggs...and they're still just pullets!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by