Illinois...

I was in the hospital and could not attend.
sad.png

Been quite ill lately.
(I'm better now, thanks for asking.)
So how did it go?
Was there much to learn and interesting to see?
I sure wanted to be there.
Denise

Two great reads on whats going on in Will County. Please show your support by emailing [email protected] and the Will County board members. The more support we can get on this issue the better!!!

http://heraldnews.suntimes.com/13308111-417/will-county-familys-chickens-need-to-fly-the-coop.html

http://plainfield.patch.com/articles/will-chicken-ordinance-fly-the-coop
Good Idea Jerry's Mom!!!
Here is a portion of what I sent to them:

Dear Will County Board;

I would like to ask you to consider 2 issues of concern to me.

1) The Herald News reported some people in unincorporated Will County has to get rid of their chickens. I believe chicken (hens only) should be allowed in unincorporated Will county. They are a clean and useful pet. They are not noisy or smelly. Chickens return to us in many ways.

• They give us clean eggs to eat and share with our neighbors.
  • They teach responsibility, empathy & compassion to our children.
  • They give children something to do other than video games.
  • They give us fertilizer for our lawns and gardens.
  • They will turn our gardens for us.
  • They eat ticks (including those carrying Lyme disease), spiders, centipedes, June Bugs, Emerald Ash Borer, Japanese Beetles, Gypsy Moths, etc.
  • They have personalities and are capable of giving back affection.
  • They warn us of loose canines running amok so we are not surprised by a viscous off leash dog have just gotten away from it's owner.
Of course a limit on the number of birds should be in the ordinance as well as an acceptable housing and run area required. Any small farm owner can advise you of what is acceptable for this and I volunteer myself if you need some facts on the requirements.

The Will County Board's Published e-mail address is: [email protected]

Denise, It's good to know you're better........sorry to hear you were in the hospital!

I went to Muller's Lane Farm on Saturday morning. Cyndi showed a friend and I around and I was very impressed with their homestead and the vast knowledge and talent Cyndi and her husband, Paul, possess. It was early and things were being prepared for events so my friend and I ran into Rock Falls to visit a thrift store that we like that is run by a church. We got a couple of things and upon check-out were given a flyer about a "Gem and Junque" sale that was being held at the Lutheran School in Sterling (just acrross the Rock River from Rock Falls).........so we, of course, had to go check it out. Short version......we had to go home to get the pick-up for a purchase that wouldn't fit in the back of my Scion. By the time we had returned and loaded, I didn't have time to return to Cyndi's since my DH and son were at home waiting for me to leave for the White Sox game in Chicago. I'm especially disappointed that I missed the butter making demo she was going to do and I'm looking forward to another opportunity to visit Cyndi in the future. Did anyone else from BYC attend?

HELP! I need a chicken-sitter for a week!

It turns out the family who was going to care for our pet chicken Brigid while we are on vacation will be unable to do so. So now I am asking would anyone like to care for our small, friendly pet chicken while we are gone on vacation next week?

If you saw the little red hen I was carrying around on pet day (Not the crazy white ones I brought for embryology) that is the girl in question. Here is her picture: https://picasaweb.google.com/100700623921673248336/20112012PicturesOfOurChickens#5690808658062871570

Brigid is a very friendly and sweet bird. She has been living in the house with us and is very gentle and quiet. She is used to cats, guinea pigs, hamsters, etc. She wears a diaper in the house so is not messy. I need to find her a place to stay for the week because she is afraid of the rooster and every time he tries to mate with her she is traumatized. I mean, she rolls up in a ball in the corner and won't come out for hours! She also runs away when we leaver her in the yard with the other chickens.

Caring for Brigid is easy! She sleeps in a cat carrier at night and wears a diaper during the day. All you do is feed her and give her fresh water in the morning, put her diaper on, and change the towel in her carrier. Then at night you take off her diaper, top up her water, and put her to bed. In the meantime she wanders around, begs for food, and sometimes will sit in your lap and be petted, like any pet.

We need to drop her off on Saturday June 30 and pick her up on Monday July 9 or Tuesday July 10. I will pay for her care. I had thought $5 a day was a good price, but I am open to offers. I would also offer any eggs she laid, but she doesn't do eggs any more.

PLEASE contact me as soon as you can. My home number is 815-472-0078 and my cell is 815-573-6440.

Thanks for reading this.

Erin

Anyone towards western IL have guinea keets, or young birds for sale? I'm having zero luck hatching from my pair this year. I have a buff dundotte male, and a pearl female.. and have had zero fertile eggs from the pair. We ate the first 20 eggs, and have since tried to hatch the next 30-- and not a single egg was fertile... Think it's time to move on and try another option.

Back
Top Bottom