Illinois...

Nothing different done in the winter here, other than plug in dog water bowls to keep the water unfroze. Main objective is keep the birds out of the coops to keep my feed going into my chickens, instead of the black birds and starlings.

My coop is 3 sided, completely open to the south. With a dirt floor.

Ditto here. I use heated dog water bowls for water and do not heat my coop. I feel that my flock needs to be prepared to handle the weather since power outages happen and that would put them in danger if they weren't used to the temperatures. They are protected from the elements and I feel that is enough. I do not allow broody hens to sit after the first week of September so I don't have to worry about small chicks in the cold. I allow free ranging throughout winter, but the flock isn't interested in being out once there is snow cover since there is nothing for them to eat! They have a 12 x 28 foot area of the barn/shed, an 8 x 10 covered hoop-run connected by a pop-door and a 6 x 8 covered pen also connected by a pop door. I vacuum and shred the hickory and oak leaves to use as bedding throughout the winter. I bag them in large garbage bags and keep the bedding deep. They love to scratch around inside the coop and find things to eat.

Here is a photo taken February 13, 2013 of the flock outside. There is a bit of ice but not snow cover. I throw some whole grains and meal worms out for them to "find".

Here is the flock taken January 20, 2014. They will follow what ever paths I have shoveled for me to get around the house and barn.

I'm also from Westmont. Last winter was my 1st year with chickens & what an intro it was! Mine made it through the polar vortex just fine. I never added heat, but I was glad to have a few extra heat generators (extra pullets) in the coop. I made a bigger coop/run than needed, but of course I'm at capacity now due to "chicken math." Here's my current set up:

The open areas now have some storm windows on them, so it's like a greenhouse. (Basically a thick clear vinyl material -like a shower curtain- with a wooden frame = my winter windows.) I added the red bottom to work as a durable snow block & will keep it up for shade in the summer. The lattice on top is for decoration & the door was donated when my neighbor got a new one. Below is my BEFORE picture.

All my birds are supposed to be winter hardy, but last winter my chickens never left the coop/run. They didn't like the snow. This year, they have been free ranging in the yard all day, so perhaps they'll venture out. My biggest winter challenge is water. I made a bucket nipple drinker & plopped a fountain heater inside. It had problems with the nipples icing when temps in the single digits. I also put a waterer out each morning & brought in the frozen one to thaw out.

This year I may add light to encourage egg production. I'm getting 2-4 eggs daily from 10 hen/pullets. Does anyone know if eggs will stop all together if I do not add light? My hens are in their 1st molt, and my pullets should be ready to lay.

I'm also from Westmont. Last winter was my 1st year with chickens & what an intro it was! Mine made it through the polar vortex just fine. I never added heat, but I was glad to have a few extra heat generators (extra pullets) in the coop. I made a bigger coop/run than needed, but of course I'm at capacity now due to "chicken math." Here's my current set up:

This year I may add light to encourage egg production. I'm getting 2-4 eggs daily from 10 hen/pullets. Does anyone know if eggs will stop all together if I do not add light? My hens are in their 1st molt, and my pullets should be ready to lay.
Nice set-up Faraday!
thumbsup.gif
The lattice is a nice touch and the bottom half covering will be great to keep the snow out. I use a vinyl shower curtain across my big door (faces east) to let light in and wind out during the day.....until it gets so cold that I don't open that door and make them
use the pop-doors exclusively.
It is high enough the chickens can walk under it. It hangs on nails and I can remove it easy enough when I need to.

Depending on breed, you may need to give them more light to keep up egg production. It seems like 12 to 14 hours of light is what most people say is needed.
Light should be bright enough to read by to be sufficient.

I don't supplement light for my flock. My young Icelandic pullets will start laying, regardless of the amount of light they have, when they are 5 months old (sometimes younger). I have three that are four months old and expect they will lay by the end of November, four that are three months old and I expect to start laying in December and one that is only a month old that will start in Marchish. My older hens are in different stages of molt and I'm only getting a egg or so a day right now so I'm hoping the pullets start soon!

My Orpingtons are 28 weeks. Here are their pics. Cuddles has a red comb, but DL's is still dull. As far as I know, neither are laying yet. Likewise my Crested Cream Legbars are also 28 weeks (both with red combs) & not laying yet. I think that breed doesn't lay year round, so I may not see their eggs until spring. The rest are Easter Eggers/mixes. I am getting a green egg every few days, but it looks too large for a pullet. Perhaps one of my molting hens has started laying again.

It is great to see so much activity here!
frow.gif
Hello and welcome to the new members! Many of the "state threads" are very busy but ours has always been rather inactive..........maybe we can change that now that there are so many of us!

I'm happy to hear there are those of you in the City of Chicago that are taking advantage of the ability to have chickens, including a rooster!!
highfive.gif

I'll re-introduce myself:
My name is Mary. BYC name NotAFarm
I hope we can keep this thread active!

Hello Mary!

I'll keep visiting here and help to keep this active.

If there was interest, I wouldn't mind meeting with others in my area to swap ideas and give/get help with any chicken problems that come up. Coop tours would be cool.

Before winter sets in, I still need to winterize. Windows I can shut to keep the drafts out. An automatic pop door, or I'll build something on a string and pulley. Water supply heaters... I have several ideas but only need to choose one!

All of the fall leaves are going into my compost, or into the coop and run. There are so many bags of leaves in my alley... I'm thinking of stacking them uo around the outside of the run for a wind break down low... And into the compost and run in the spring or during late winter.

The Halloween pumpkins and Indian corn will go to the run in the next few days for entertaiment. My girls are still enjoying the backyard. I was surprised to find that one of my nosiest neighbors did not know I had chickens. He took some eggs and seemed really pleased!

I'll post relevant pictures when I can... Hope everyone else does, too!

Faraday, The Orps are beautiful! Many of the larger breeds take a long time to mature and don't lay until 7-9 months old.....unless the breeder has made early lay a priority in their breeding program. My very first egg from my original flock of four EEs was an olive green egg. I was so excited to find it! She looked like a Silver Laced Wyandotte cross and did not have any muffs or beard. The other three looked more Ameraucanaish and all laid a pale blue egg.

6CF, I'm always up for meeting with other chicken crazies lovers!
big_smile.png
A coop tour within the City would be great fun.
An automatic pop-door
14yes-no.gif
I'd love one!

............as for pictures........
caf.gif

Thanks.

My Lav Orp is about 75% English bloodlines & as far as I know, they take longer than a regular Orpington to mature. She should look like a basketball when she fills out. I was thinking 6 mo, but if 6-9mo is the usual time for an orp to lay, then I guess I have more waiting to do. Orig all I wanted was one Lav Orp. I ended up hatching my female Lavender English Orpington with a bonus male. The extra shipped eggs gave me two (American) black orp females and an English Bantam Orp female. I was a very lucky to get mostly females but found it hard to get rid of such beauties. We ended up selling only one of the Orpingtons & that was to a friend down the street (so we can visit). We even still have the male, named Tank. He's staying until he gives me reason not to keep him. So far, his huge size keeps the hawks away. He rarely crows. It's not a daily thing & when he does, it's just a few times in the morning. If he minds his manners & remains a good boy, he may make it 'til spring. I'm not planning on breeding, but the protection he provides is worth more to me than the $5 I was offered to sell him. Pics below were taken in early Oct.

This is our bantam, Cookie. My daughter decided to play Barbies with her the other day. Our chickens are very patient.
This one was also going to be sold, but adds a unique personality to the flock.

My chickens love the pumpkins & it's a great boredom buster. Don't forget to ask neighbors for their old ones too.

....and that automatic coop door sounds nice.

I just bought a heated water dish with built in thermostat. If it is below 32 degrees it will turn on. Hope it works. I am building a temporary coop inside the garage for my cream legbar chicks and thinking about putting my 3 young hens in too. My husband is not thrilled with me cutting a hole in the side of the garage. But he wasn't thrilled with chickens in the first place, but now he finds them entertaining. This will be our first winter with them. I need advice on when I can move the legbars out to the garage. They hatched September 17th so I was thinking mid December. I also have 2 black and 2 blue maran eggs coming in a few days. I didn't want to wait til spring and then not have eggs again til fall. Plus I plan on cross breeding the legbar and a maran so I can have an Olive Egger. I am so addicted! And by the way, Faraday40 your Lavender Orps are beautiful!

Back
Top Bottom