Illinois...

I just bought a heated water dish with built in thermostat. If it is below 32 degrees it will turn on. Hope it works. I am building a temporary coop inside the garage for my cream legbar chicks and thinking about putting my 3 young hens in too. My husband is not thrilled with me cutting a hole in the side of the garage. But he wasn't thrilled with chickens in the first place, but now he finds them entertaining. This will be our first winter with them. I need advice on when I can move the legbars out to the garage. They hatched September 17th so I was thinking mid December. I also have 2 black and 2 blue maran eggs coming in a few days. I didn't want to wait til spring and then not have eggs again til fall. Plus I plan on cross breeding the legbar and a maran so I can have an Olive Egger. I am so addicted! And by the way, Faraday40 your Lavender Orps are beautiful!
Thank you. My orig flock are mutts, so I splurged on eggs for my daughter's 4H project. Was it bad for me to pick MY fav breeds for HER project? By selling the extra chicks, she ended up covering the cost of expenses. That part made DH happy. Let's face it; he's doomed anyway. She's picked up my incubation addiction. She's already planning for next year's project & designing her experiment.

I had good luck introducing new chicks to the flock at about 8-10 weeks old. At that point, the size diff isn't too great & the hens seem to know they're young, so the bullying isn't so bad. I also made sure to have their run/coop next to the flock for a couple weeks before the introduction. (it's the standard "Look but don't touch" period.) Never try to introduce one single bird. It's stressful & they need a buddy. The day before, I allow the chicks to explore their new run/coop while the flock is in the yard. I then put them back into the baby coop until everyone falls asleep. Under darkness I place the chicks on the low roost in the big coop. By the time the chickens wake up, they've already spent the night together. I make sure to do it on a weekend, so I can be out there to check frequently throughout the next day. I've never had major blood or injury using this slow intro approach. Yes, the babies will get bullied a little but everyone knows they're at the bottom of pecking order. The babies will simply stay clear of the older ones. They'll need their own feed & water area, but one coop is easier to maintain than 2. The first week or two will take a little extra time to make sure everyone finds their way to back to the coop each night, but it gets easier. Eventually, the two mini flocks start to mingle as one. If your older birds are less than a year old, it will likely be very simple. If your older birds are less than 8 weeks, then all the extra steps may not even be necessary.

Temp coops: Dog crate, dog house, baby play yard, old rabbit/ferret cage, child's play house, dog run, etc. Most of mine came from Thrift stores or even better to find curb treasures. Some disinfectant & a power washer can work miracles. You'll want to hold on to that temp home b/c you may have a future need for a broody hen box, quarantine cage, or even a brooder.

I'll have to make sure my granddaughter never sees this picture or she'll be out trying to wrangle the chickens to play Barbies with her!
roll.png

Looks like we are in for some cold temps by this time next week........ Daytime temps around freezing are not my idea of early November!

I know, but looking forward to the 60s tomorrow. Thanks for all the advice, I think I will bring the babies out tomorrow and put them in the dog crate so they can meet the older hens. I hope with a slow introduction, things go as easy as you make it sound. And the pics are too cute and your right she will get ideas if she sees the pics, haha.

My pop-doors (3) open from the outside. I keep thinking I need to do something different with them for winter but haven't yet.....maybe this year.

The wind was really howling last night. The hickories are still hanging on to the majority of their leaves but there are plenty piled-up around the fence line. I'll be bagging them as soon they dry out a bit.

Cat vs Chickens?

Two neighborhood cats are a couple houses away & looking toward my chickens! My roo (who rarely crows) made a lot of noise for about 2 min straight. My dog was frantically digging at the fence trying to get to them. The cats have lived in the neighborhood for over 4 years and can be seen roaming free. They have rarely entered our yard. I know our dogs discourage most animals from entering, but my dogs will have to come inside at some point. If the cats do decide to visit, will an Orpington rooster be able to protect the hens? Honestly, I'm not sure if the cats are interested in a chicken dinner, but they were looking. Although I'm sure a barking dog trying to rip them apart would also be something they would want to watch. Do cats like to hunt chickens? I have no experience with cats.

My cat will usually kill anything that moves. That being said, he couldn't care less about my chickens. My expiriences with cats and chickens has been that a resonably fed cat will normally not go after an adult bird. Chicks and teenage birds possibly, but not the adults. They are probably curious more then anything and interested in your birds because all the "fun" stuff like mice, birds and squirrels don't want to play anymore.

We have a family of barn cats that moved into our big barn, next to the chicken barn. I have never had any trouble. They sit and watch them sometimes, but haven't tried to go for it. I do have an EE rooster that keeps an eye on them, and two loud guinea fowl. I just hope the winter weather doesn't push the cats to try for a snack!
droolin.gif

I have three barn cats.......two are rescues that I inquired about and adopted. The third showed up last spring. A juvie that at first was leery of us but soon warmed up with the regular meals we provided. I sent him with a friend that takes feral cats to P.A.W.S. to be neutered and he was returned. I worried about him at first when the hens had newly hatched chicks. He is a great hunter of all thing feathered and furred and I thought he would bother the chicks. I kept the hens with chicks in pens where he couldn't have access to them until they were at least three weeks old. At that point, the chicks knew mommas various calls and then I let them out when I was around. Lil' Brother watched the chicks but found out quick that the hens would fly at him with feet and beak flying if he moved toward them. By this fall when the last two hens each had a single chick, he paid little to no attention to them. He will crouch and then jump out at the older birds to scatter them and then run away....he is still a kitten and is looking for fun more than a meal.
I would worry about young chicks around feral cats that need to hunt to survive. My very first rescued barn cat thought the chickens were "food" and stalked a hen and dashed at her. The hen turned around and looked at the cat like "What?" The cat looked confused and walked away. She never bothered with the chickens after that, they were clearly not afraid of her and she left them alone.
It sounds like you will need to make sure your night time set-up is predator/cat proof since the cats will more than likely be checking things out when your dogs are inside.
Do the cats belong to someone or are they feral? Do you have an animal control that you can call if they become a problem?

Back
Top Bottom