Illinois...

I just gave my rooster with a mite infestation a bath and blow dry last night. After he was all dried off he was sent back out to the coop for the night. I would guess it was a 30-40 degree difference between the house and the coop. He was just fine this morning.

Rooster or hen?
0.jpg

This is one of my two juvenile blue red laced wyandottes. This one's hurt foot brought it to the cage and away from my whole flock. Yesterday it almost crowed at me. I thought it was a hen because of it's coloring. What do you think?

Rooster or hen?
0.jpg

This is one of my two juvenile blue red laced wyandottes. This one's hurt foot brought it to the cage and away from my whole flock. Yesterday it almost crowed at me. I thought it was a hen because of it's coloring. What do you think?
Rooster!

Yay! Originally I had three of them and a hawk ran off with my obvious rooster in the fall :( It was much more red and had growing spurs & that rooster like tail.
I wanted a breeding pair and then I was down to just the two... and they kind of look similar coloring wise but that crow changed my mind.
Never thought I be so happy to have another rooster. LOL.

Rooster or hen?
0.jpg

Sounds like a baby rooster to me.
Congrats!

Faraday, I've been reading your posts on the Broody Hen thread about your bantam. What is the preferred timing for your daughters project?

Faraday, I've been reading your posts on the Broody Hen thread about your bantam. What is the preferred timing for your daughters project?
I wanted to wait until end of Feb. That way the incubator chicks are in the house for April, but outside in garage w/ heat lamp by May. I have no problem with the broody hen portion of the experiment, but the idea is to control variables by doing both at the same time with the same egg source. Cute baby chicks get so dusty, so our living room is just not a good place to keep them as they grow active. (Starting now would mean end of March & April in the garage. Temps could drop below freezing.)

The other thing is to decide if Cookie's the right broody. She easily acts it. I don't want to spend $ on my fancy Bielefelder & English Lavender Orp eggs to have her abandon them. Of course, I have read they are a broody breed, & there's no way to really predict the future. When the project is done, I plan to keep 2-3 favorite chicks & sell the rest. If I use my own eggs as a test, I know that my kids will want to keep whatever hatches first.

OFF TOPIC:
That's how we got this chick: Omelet. There's a whole story, but in the end, this ugly chick is the one my daughter begged to keep. We sold some Crested Cream Legbars & Black Orpingtons, but held on to her fav mutt.

Now that she's laying eggs, Omelet is proving her worth. The Legbars we kept are still taking a winter break. So at least we have a happy ending.

OK, I'm still in shock! After looking for this chicken everywhere, neighbors yard, trees, up and down the alley, everywhere! I get home at 6:30 and she was standing in the yard. My husband had just taken the dogs out and didn't see her. I really can't even imagine where she was for 3 hours. No scratches, nothing. Her legs were really pink but not too cold to the touch so she's in the basement on towels in a large dog crate. I wanted to be able to keep an eye on her.

Do I need to watch for anything besides frostbite? Shock?

A few years ago, I had a Golden seabright. She went MIA in march for 2 weeks. I wrote her off. She magically returned. I have no idea where she was those 2 weeks. She lived at least 6 years more after incident. Never left after that. Her name was PHANTOM. You can see her in the large picture on my profile.

HI there!

I'm new to this thread :) We live in St Charles, IL (west of Chicago, along the Fox River). We hope to get 5 chickens end of March. We are in talks with a local craftsman who will be helping us build our coop...we're thinking of using the Wichita coop for inspiration (https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/wichita-cabin-coop). This will be our very first adventure with chickens - excited but nervous!!

We've read just about every chicken book that's out there, so we're stuffed full of 'head knowledge'. It's going to be an entirely different thing to actually put what we read into practice!

Just for your information. Kankakee county fairground holds swap meet for chickens and pigeons starting in April. It is on the fist Saturday of the month in most cases. here is a link to their site. navigate to events calender for all details.
http://www.kankakeefair.org/Calendar.htm
I got my chickens there before.

Back
Top Bottom