Illinois...

You realize that x and y chromosomes determine the sex of the offspring right? The mother has zero influence of the sex of the offspring. So, anything by chance is purely accidental.

You realize that x and y chromosomes determine the sex of the offspring right? The mother has zero influence of the sex of the offspring. So, anything by chance is purely accidental.
I did not know that. I am new at this, so I guess I shouldn't assume things. I am learning, being on this site, a little more everyday. That is why I love being able to talk to all of you.Thank you!

In birds, the sex of the embryo is determined by the egg, not the sperm (as it is in humans). Avian sex differentiation is not determined by XY chromosomes like it is in humans and most mammals (or even the XO system used by some insects). In those systems the sex is determined by the sperm, by what the male contributes to the offspring. By contrast, birds have a ZW system of sex determination (shared with butterflies, moths, fish and reptiles). In that system, sex is determined by the female within her ova, and the sex of offspring is not affected at all by the sperm which the male contributes.

In birds, the sex of the embryo is determined by the egg, not the sperm (as it is in humans). Avian sex differentiation is not determined by XY chromosomes like it is in humans and most mammals (or even the XO system used by some insects). In those systems the sex is determined by the sperm, by what the male contributes to the offspring. By contrast, birds have a ZW system of sex determination (shared with butterflies, moths, fish and reptiles). In that system, sex is determined by the female within her ova, and the sex of offspring is not affected at all by the sperm which the male contributes.

Another lesson learned.

There are some people that believe thee can hatch more females by selecting & only incubating the more rounded eggs. I have not found this to be true. My hens that lay more bullet-shaped eggs, always lay bullet shaped eggs. Some must be female, right? So I doubt it would work. Some say diet is a big factor, but mine all eat the same. In many reptiles you can vary the incubation temp slightly to hatch your preferred gender. I'm sure this would be disastrous if anyone tried it with chickens.

At this point, all I can say is it was strange luck
or the breeder where I bought the eggs has a secret trick
or I may be unintentionally doing something during incubation that makes it more difficult for males to hatch but not females.

For now, dumb luck is the easiest for me to believe.

There are some people that believe thee can hatch more females by selecting & only incubating the more rounded eggs. I have not found this to be true. My hens that lay more bullet-shaped eggs, always lay bullet shaped eggs. Some must be female, right? So I doubt it would work. Some say diet is a big factor, but mine all eat the same. In many reptiles you can vary the incubation temp slightly to hatch your preferred gender. I'm sure this would be disastrous if anyone tried it with chickens.

At this point, all I can say is it was strange luck
or the breeder where I bought the eggs has a secret trick
or I may be unintentionally doing something during incubation that makes it more difficult for males to hatch but not females.

For now, dumb luck is the easiest for me to believe.

Well, I am going to keep track when hatching this summer. I have 3 hens I could do the cross with. I don't know if I should use all 3 or just 1 to cross with the maran. I have some time and need to do some reading on breeding. Hopefully, I will have some of your dumb luck too!

A hen can lay fertile eggs for quite a while after the male is removed. I was surprised last summer when the eggs still looked fertile 2 weeks after we got rid of our roo. (Tank was only 8 weeks, so I know it wasn't him!)

A hen can lay fertile eggs for quite a while after the male is removed. I was surprised last summer when the eggs still looked fertile 2 weeks after we got rid of our roo. (Tank was only 8 weeks, so I know it wasn't him!)

I have read someplace, that the hen is able to store the semen for somewhere around 3 weeks. Giving fertile eggs all that time

I have read someplace, that the hen is able to store the semen for somewhere around 3 weeks. Giving fertile eggs all that time

I usually remove a rooster for a week then add a new one . Then wait a week before saving eggs . It is true they can be fertile longer but it is also true that the last semen in is the first used . I have no surprise chicks with this method .

I usually remove a rooster for a week then add a new one . Then wait a week before saving eggs . It is true they can be fertile longer but it is also true that the last semen in is the first used . I have no surprise chicks with this method .
Ok very useful info, since I am keeping one legbar and a maran rooster. So its a 2 week waiting period before I start saving eggs. Ok so do I keep that hen and Rooster in a separate pen, by themselves and for how long? Well I guess that is determined whether or not the eggs are fertile and how many eggs I want. Have you ever put a hen and roo together that won't mate?

Back
Top Bottom