Illinois...

Ok, if anyone is interested I have some chicks and cockerels available. Sorry @Faraday really would have liked to keep one of these guys but without a pullet, I can't. Do you still have a pullet?

2 Lavender Ameraucanas 2 wks old straight run $10 each
2 Blue Black Marans pullets 2 wks old $10 each
1 Olive Egger cockerel 9 wks old $10
2 Lavender 1 American Breed-11wks old and 1 English Breed 9 wks old $10 each
1 Mixed Easter Egger x Lav Orp roo Pullet maybe $5

Lav Ameraucana's

Olive Egger Cockerel

American Breed Lav Orp

English Breed Lav Orp

The 2 near the top. Very dark Blue and Black Marans Pullets

Mix Easter Egger x Lav Orp ?

I am leaning towards a cockerel but then I don't have experience with Orpingtons.
x2
The comb is rather small but slightly darker pink than its sister here. I'll snap a pic next time I go out. I have 2 female blk/lav split English Orps. If bred to the lav, 50% chicks will be female. I plan to keep one of the 2 but haven't decided which one.

Do you know the gender of the EExOrp? The comb looks wide but pale.

I had a 3 row pea combed chick which I thought was a male. The comb even looked slightly pink.

Because I could not tell the gender, I ended up giving it away to someone who bought a few orps.
Now at 9 weeks. the comb is the same & the body looks rather feminine.
Thin looking legs,too. Definitely a challenge.

Anyone here has experience with blind chicks? I think I have one that is blind by birth. It extends its neck forward and moves side to side to find its way back to the heating plate or under other chicks. Just like a blind person moves their cane side to side. It looks healthy otherwise but does not show any interest in eating or drinking. At the moment its the same size as other chicks but its only 4 days old. When I pick it up, I can't tell if its looking at me or not. I have never put down a chick and if its completely blind it will be a challenge whether to put it down or take care of it. Tough either ways!

ChicagoClucker-
I just ran out & took some pics. Here are the siblings. With this breed, it really helps to compare. All hatched on April 12th.
The females combs look darker pink when they're hot (like today), but when compared to the males' BIG RED combs & wattles, it's easy to tell them apart.

Female Lav orp

Female blk/lav split orp #1

Female blk/lav split orp #2

Male blk/lav split orp #1

Male blk/lav split orp #2

ChicagoClucker-
I just ran out & took some pics. Here are the siblings. With this breed, it really helps to compare. All hatched on April 12th.
The females combs look darker pink when they're hot (like today), but when compared to the males' BIG RED combs & wattles, it's easy to tell them apart.

Female Lav orp

Female blk/lav split orp #1

Female blk/lav split orp #2

Male blk/lav split orp #1

Male blk/lav split orp #2

What the heck, my English's comb is bigger than your pullets but smaller than the cockerels .Legs are thick like the older Orp. Here are some more pics. Tell me what you think!

Anyone here has experience with blind chicks? I think I have one that is blind by birth. It extends its neck forward and moves side to side to find its way back to the heating plate or under other chicks. Just like a blind person moves their cane side to side. It looks healthy otherwise but does not show any interest in eating or drinking. At the moment its the same size as other chicks but its only 4 days old. When I pick it up, I can't tell if its looking at me or not. I have never put down a chick and if its completely blind it will be a challenge whether to put it down or take care of it. Tough either ways!
Here is a picture of the chick in question:

Back
Top Bottom