Illinois...

hit.gif
Poor Rocky!
I'll be in the same boat soon. I have for everyone's consideration three fine Buckeye Cocks just over 3 months old. If anyone wants to incorporate new bloodlines into their strain or add these great dual purpose birds into their dinner flock, let me know.
I'll post pictures as soon as I can decent pictures (that'll take a while).

Well, the No Crow Collar doesn't seem to matter for Rocky. No matter how tight I make it, he still has a very loud crow. He is going on Crowing binges, where he doesn't stop for 10 minutes, so its bye, bye Rocky. If anyone is interested let me know, otherwise off to the feed store he goes.
Our adult rooster did that when we first got him for about a week then he chilled out. I almost never hear him crow except off and on for about an hour after sun rise. Does he have thing to occupy his time? Things to climb on and dig at and whatnot? Rooster get bord very easily.

Our adult rooster did that when we first got him for about a week then he chilled out. I almost never hear him crow except off and on for about an hour after sun rise. Does he have thing to occupy his time? Things to climb on and dig at and whatnot? Rooster get bord very easily.

He has begun crowing more often now that he is mounting the girls. He has 9 girls, and free ranges. I think he also misses his other buddies (LavOrps) that he grew up with.

He has begun crowing more often now that he is mounting the girls. He has 9 girls, and free ranges. I think he also misses his other buddies (LavOrps) that he grew up with.

could be. He maybe alerting the flock to something... probably that he is getting some lol I personally don't free range due to too many threats to my birds, but my friend has free range flocks and his roosters crow from sun up to sun down. I think the more room they have the more they crow... but thats just my theory

could be. He maybe alerting the flock to something... probably that he is getting some lol I personally don't free range due to too many threats to my birds, but my friend has free range flocks and his roosters crow from sun up to sun down. I think the more room they have the more they crow... but thats just my theory

No you might be right, not that they have an acre out back. I live in the city on a small lot. But my yard is fenced in, so they have both sides and backyard. But I think the main reason being, is that he is becoming a young man. I have even seen him crowing laying down, under a bush, relaxing. LOL

No you might be right, not that they have an acre out back. I live in the city on a small lot. But my yard is fenced in, so they have both sides and backyard. But I think the main reason being, is that he is becoming a young man. I have even seen him crowing laying down, under a bush, relaxing. LOL

Yeah I also think like some humans they like the sound of thir own crow lol

Does anyone want to guess the gender of this maran? Just turned 3 weeks today.
I tried to take pics at diff angles. Comb is pink - not red. I see other pics with 3 wk old maran cockerels that have RED combs. Wattles can be seen at the correct angle. The comb looks on the big side to me, but I only have experience with orps. It's been very fast to feather out & has a tail.

Personality - seems to be most outgoing (a male trait IMO.) Peeps like crazy when separated from the others. The other Maran chicks are all sold, so I have none to compare.

Sorry to say, but I think Cockerel. That comb looks large for 3 weeks I will send a pic of my Blues and black Marans pullets. I have already rehomed the roo.

First one is 12 weeks old and the second one is about 20 weeks.

Ohhh. So pretty. Now I really wish it was a female. That chick came from a very, very dark egg & was the only blue. Personality is also very sweet. On the bright side, it will make the decision on whether to keep or rehome much simpler. (We'll be picking 1-2 out of our 3 April males.)

Ohhh. So pretty. Now I really wish it was a female. That chick came from a very, very dark egg & was the only blue. Personality is also very sweet. On the bright side, it will make the decision on whether to keep or rehome much simpler. (We'll be picking 1-2 out of our 3 April males.)

Yes I have to agree with you. The marans are a very sweet breed. I didn't get a good shot of my Black/blue Marans but she is beautiful too with a bit of a larger comb and her body shape isn't as slim as the others.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom