Illinois...

About a week ago I thought I saw some fertile eggs from one of my hens. Yesterday I swear I saw another fertile egg from a different hen. Today it was confirmed. I caught my dominant cockerel attempting to mount a hen. She was patiently waiting for him to balance himself. Quite a funny sight & a rather desperate hen I suppose. The boy is only 3.5 months old, but I must give him an A for effort.

I certainly do not need any chicks, but I'm interested to know if they'd hatch. If anyone wants to test them for me, send me a PM. (I purposely put my incubators away for the year to limit my temptation.)
I locked away my incubators, however, have a broody if you want to borrow. My folks will kill me if I hatched any!

Yes my empty incubator was calling out to me. I had to lock mine up too!

Love that mauve!
love.gif

Your mauve is beautiful!
Thanks. Now I have so many choices to make. Will discuss with all the folks here with what to go for, soon.
Right now I have 1 Chocolate Cuckoo, 1 Chocolate and 1 Mauve Pullet
and 1 Chocolate cuckoo, 2 Chocolate (will keep 1),1 Mauve and 1 Blue cockerel.

The Chocolate Cuckoos and the Chocolate Pullet are either full or half siblings so I don't want to breed them together unless absolutely necessary.

but the Mauve's and Chocolate Cockerels came from a more diverse pen (2 roosters and 5 hens) so can be bred together.

Blue is from an unrelated pen.

Will someone be interested in a White Legbar project? They can combine it with an Olive Egger project as well. It will be FREE in lieu of some chicks or eggs from the project and some regular updates. If you don't want to take pics/updates, you can buy them outright as well. Thought I would post here before putting on auction sites.

Here is what I have:

1. 18 week old White Legbar cockerel
2. His 14 month old CCL mother.
3. 18 month old BLR Barnevelder hen.

The white cockerel will have to be bred with the CCL which carries the white gene (I have confirmed with test hatching). 50% of the resulting off-springs will be white. They should still lay blue eggs though.

The same cockerel will produce very nice Oliver eggers with the Barnevelder hen. It will also be very interesting to see what color off-springs are produced by this cross.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Will someone be interested in a White Legbar project? They can combine it with an Olive Egger project as well. It will be FREE in lieu of some chicks or eggs from the project and some regular updates. If you don't want to take pics/updates, you can buy them outright as well. Thought I would post here before putting on auction sites.

Here is what I have:

1. 18 week old White Legbar cockerel
2. His 14 month old CCL mother.
3. 18 month old BLR Barnevelder hen.

The white cockerel will have to be bred with the CCL which carries the white gene (I have confirmed with test hatching). 50% of the resulting off-springs will be white. They should still lay blue eggs though.

The same cockerel will produce very nice Oliver eggers with the Barnevelder hen. It will also be very interesting to see what color off-springs are produced by this cross.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Wish I could say yes, unlike you and Faraday, I still have my incubator going. I threw in 1of my a legbar, and 2 leghorn eggs. They were covered by the Olive egger roo. And now that my marans is laying, I am waiting for a 3rd egg today and going to put them in. Hopefully out of 6 eggs, I should end up with a couple of hens to lay some variant shades of green eggs.

Wish I could say yes, unlike you and Faraday, I still have my incubator going. I threw in 1of my a legbar, and 2 leghorn eggs. They were covered by the Olive egger roo. And now that my marans is laying, I am waiting for a 3rd egg today and going to put them in. Hopefully out of 6 eggs, I should end up with a couple of hens to lay some variant shades of green eggs.
No worries! and good luck with your 10nth hatch of the year! lol

So hard to fight the temptation to incubate more eggs.
he.gif

We'll be passing through IN (where I know 2 breeders), then KY (I know some beautiful Coro Sussex there), then TN. On the route home we'll pass through St Louis, Springfield, Bloomington, & Odell. We've had egg offers &/or purchased great quality hatching eggs from all of those locations in the past.

Can you see why DH had to put my incubators in the attic?
hide.gif

No worries! and good luck with your 10nth hatch of the year! lol

Haha, thanks. I most definitely won't be hatching anything next year. I am going to ask my husband to hide my incubators, LOL.

Had to edit this comment!

What was I thinking, I will be hatching next year, just my silver laced over my gold laced orps and maybe some of those adorable laced cochin bantams.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom