Illinois...

I'm from central Illinois. Just searching site for information on feed, water, coops, runs ect. My husband's friend getting rid of chickens so we are looking at starting into chicken raising! If and when we get this all going where is the best place in central illinois to get hens that lay blue or green eggs?

I'm sure i will be on here alot asking questions!

If and when we get this all going where is the best place in central illinois to get hens that lay blue or green eggs?

If you want to make a trip to the IL/WI border for pickup I can hatch out some green/olive (and possibly blue) egg layers with 3 weeks notice... The only drawback is I can only offer straight run no sexing of the chicks at this time...

Beyond that you will have to find a local breeder with colored eggs, order some online or order from a feed store...

Only a few breeds lay true blue eggs, most other colored egg layers are mixed mutts so sometimes when you order online you might not get the colored egg you desire as a lot of hatcheries don't breed true for egg color... Plus hatcheries are know to fib (make up similar spelled names or flat out make false claims on breed type) quite a bit when it comes to blue laying breeds...

@MeepBeep
Do you ever sell hatching eggs? I may be interested in some or in some chicks come spring if you're willing. I would love to talk to you more about it if you would like to pm me

I'm from central Illinois. Just searching site for information on feed, water, coops, runs ect. My husband's friend getting rid of chickens so we are looking at starting into chicken raising! If and when we get this all going where is the best place in central illinois to get hens that lay blue or green eggs?

I'm sure i will be on here alot asking questions!

I have some Blue Isbar eggs in the incubator at the moment. They lay green eggs. I might have some extra's if anyone is interested. Looks like I have 7 out of 8 developing, but don't know what will make it to hatch. I only plan on keeping a pair to breed. So, I will also have some eggs for sale in spring. For your blue eggs, your best bet is to find someone local and pickup. But, I did have good luck ordering my CCLs and had them shipped 6 out of 9 eggs hatched. They lay some pretty blue eggs and so do the pure Ameraucana's. Good Luck!

@ChicagoClucker
Do you have pictures of their eggs? I would love to see them. When are they due to hatch? I may be interested if I can convince the DH2B otherwise I may be interested in some eggs this spring. How much will you be asking for the chicks? And eggs? Also are they sexable at hatch or how do you plan to choose?

@MeepBeep
Do you ever sell hatching eggs? I may be interested in some or in some chicks come spring if you're willing. I would love to talk to you more about it if you would like to pm me

Sure I can sell eggs, but I would really prefer pickup only as it's really not cost effective to ship generic mixed breed eggs, plus the obvious risk of damage in shipping...

Either way just let me know when you are ready, I just need a few days notice to collect eggs and set aside for hatching...

But, I did have good luck ordering my CCLs and had them shipped 6 out of 9 eggs hatched. They lay some pretty blue eggs and so do the pure Ameraucana's. Good Luck!

Crested Cream Legbar can be blue or green and even olive by UK standards... The ones I just got are a very light shade of mint green, on the hunt for some more true blue ones...

If you get Ameraucanas make sure you get them from a reputable breeder, as there is no shortage of fake mutt breed aka Easter Eggers being sold as Ameraucanas (or a variant of the spelling) by many hatcheries...

Last edited:
@MeepBeep
What breed/breeds are your colored layers?

No set breed just mutts, take your choice on the name, Barnyard mix, Easter egger, Olive egger

Come spring though I hope to have some Crested Cream Legbars producing as well...

Might even be doing some brand new F1 olive eggers from Black Copper Marans or Welsummers crossed with Crested Cream Legbars...

How much would you be asking?

That will depend on what type, barnyard mixed are cheap, when I go into pure or specific hybrids next year they will be a more...

Back
Top Bottom