Illinois...

I just tried to "pm" you, but the system wouldn't work.  Last year I got two of the khaki campbells that hatched out of the Clifton grade school, I believe.  I am just wondering if the eggs came from you.  I need two more not related hens, or chicks or something.  Someone on here told me not to crossbreed siblings.   Can we talk sometime soon?   I'm in Gilman.  Thanks.   

Who are you talking to?

I read all the post above, I have 2 marans hens, but I sold my marans cockerel. I could check with Dena, the woman who bought him and see if she has any BBS Marans available. @Faraday40 your not going to believe this, if you end up with an extra Lavender cockerel, I could use him this year perhaps. I should have kept one of the 2 from last year. Thinking of making some Isabel Orps, if I have room. I also started a test hatch, day 2 and can already see growth in the 4 SL bantam cochin eggs, but hoping for better fertility on the Orpington eggs this time around. It also seems that egg production has been affected by rehoming Thor, Crazy Toes and Sophia. Egg count was down, yesterday and today, only 2 eggs. Hmmmmm, seems the ladies are missing the big boy! Hope they bounce back.
Yes, the English Orps are known to behave that way. When I rehomed the Biele hens in Nov, the Orps stopped laying for a bit. (I would have thought they'd be happy about the extra coop space.)

My current roos are awesome, but I too regret not keeping a male lav. DD fell in "love" with Mr DummyPants (of course not enough to give him a proper name!), so my decision was made for me. This year I'm hoping for a lav roo from Mr Dummy and a Bielefelder roo.

BTW- I couldn't wait any longer. I set eggs tonight.

I had good experience through MYPETCHICKEN.com and like our healthy happy Speckled Sussex, Buff Orpingtons, and Dominique. :)

Did you get hatching eggs or chicks? I am supposed to be getting hatching eggs for education from them on the second hopefully(fingers crossed) glad a prize from Halloween. But I really really am so excited. But I've never received eggs or anything from them. Idk what to expect but I hope I get a good hatch.

I had good experience through MYPETCHICKEN.com and like our healthy happy Speckled Sussex, Buff Orpingtons, and Dominique. :)

Did you get hatching eggs or chicks? I am supposed to be getting hatching eggs for education from them on the second hopefully(fingers crossed) glad a prize from Halloween. But I really really am so excited. But I've never received eggs or anything from them. Idk what to expect but I hope I get a good hatch.

Shipped hatching eggs are a complete roll of the dice as you have no control on how they were handled by the shipper... IMO a good expected hatch rate for shipped eggs is about 50%, but don't be surprised if you get 0% or if you are lucky you might get better than 50%, really no way to know, just don't get your hopes up on a great hatch rate from shipped eggs... Celebrate when it happens but don't expect it to be the norm...

Last year all said and done, I was at about 20% hatch rate for shipped eggs, while I can generally get 80% or better for locally picked up eggs and generally near 100% for my own eggs...

Last edited:
My Hatch Report:

Day 23 just started. I have six hatch out of the 8 that went to lockdown:

2 are choc (pullets) and 1 choc cuckoo (more than likely a boy but could be a girl as well)

Here is their pic:

1 is possibly a mauve cuckoo. if it is, then definitely a boy:

1 is a white sport legbar (too wet to take a picture)

and the 6th one is not clearly identifiable yet. Will have to wait for it to fluff up to see how it looks.

2 remaining Legbar eggs are still alive. Will wait till the end of the day before intervening.

Another egg is going into lock-down tonight due on the 24th/25th

Last edited:
My Hatch Report: Day 23 just started. I have six hatch out of the 8 that went to lockdown: 2 are choc (pullets) and 1 choc cuckoo (more than likely a boy but could be a girl as well) Here is their pic: 1 is possibly a mauve cuckoo. if it is, then definitely a boy: 1 is a white sport legbar (too wet to take a picture) and the 6th one is not clearly identifiable yet. Will have to wait for it to fluff up to see how it looks. 2 remaining Legbar eggs are still alive. Will wait till the end of the day before intervening. Another egg is going into lock-down tonight due on the 24th/25th
Anyone else dancing!? Or is that just me? I'm so excited!!! Go chickies go! Come on pullets! You know they're English BC they know how to be fashionably late. ;)

Just finished assembling our group's 4H raffle prize! I stuffed smaller candies in between the larger boxes & added left-over Valentine's stickers. I used a little extra packing tape to prevent sampling before the auction. Hope that part works out. LOL It's about 4' tall & will be displayed vertically on a stand.

My kids already want to bid on it.

BTW- DuPage County has an International Night at the fairgrounds where all the groups get together to showcase the country they researched. The annual get together is also used for skits & fundraisers. Imagine about 400 people, but only about 100 of them adults. If anyone in the area has kids thinking about joining 4H, stop by for some fun. This Friday (2-26-16) 7-9pm at the DuPage Co Fairgrounds in Wheaton. PM me if you want more info.

My Hatch Report:

Day 23 just started. I have six hatch out of the 8 that went to lockdown:

2 are choc (pullets) and 1 choc cuckoo (more than likely a boy but could be a girl as well)

Here is their pic:

1 is possibly a mauve cuckoo. if it is, then definitely a boy:

1 is a white sport legbar (too wet to take a picture)

and the 6th one is not clearly identifiable yet. Will have to wait for it to fluff up to see how it looks.

2 remaining Legbar eggs are still alive. Will wait till the end of the day before intervening.

Another egg is going into lock-down tonight due on the 24th/25th

Congrats, glad the hatch went well. Such cuties!

Back
Top Bottom