Illinois...

Usual regime is :

full dose 5-7 days depending on severity followed by preventive dose for 5-7 days. Then 2 week gap followed by full dose for 5-7 days.
Would giving chicks medicated feed be a simpler solution??? I just got 3 -- 1 week old chicks. Don't have any issues at this time, but getting a quantity of medicated starter feed is not really very expensive. What is your view on this. What are the downsides if any on medicated feed?

Would giving chicks medicated feed be a simpler solution??? I just got 3 -- 1 week old chicks. Don't have any issues at this time, but getting a quantity of medicated starter feed is not really very expensive. What is your view on this. What are the downsides if any on medicated feed?
medicated feed does not have enough strength. Its meant for prevention in the first few weeks while the chicks are building their immunity. Once Coccidiosis has taken foot, then there is no other choice but to medicate them according to the severity.

Having said that, since your chicks are healthy and you start them on medicated feed and keep them on till they are about 6-8 weeks, you don't need to worry.

Happy about your grandson. Saw pics on fb:)

Sorry about the Orp at the same tim
Thanks, before I ended up at the hospital, I had transplanted a cherry tomato plant and set is on my steps. Well those young orps were let out and were happy to be able to reach about 40 ripe cherry tomatoes but apparently my one orp decided to eat the leaves also. First time any of my chickens have even touch my tomato leaves. It seemed like they have always known not to touch them, except for this youngster.

Thanks, before I ended up at the hospital, I had transplanted a cherry tomato plant and set is on my steps. Well those young orps were let out and were happy to be able to reach about 40 ripe cherry tomatoes but apparently my one orp decided to eat the leaves also. First time any of my chickens have even touch my [COLOR=FF0000]tomato leaves.[/COLOR] It seemed like they have always known not to touch them, except for this youngster.

Is that the reason you lost that 4 month orp.  I had my girls snacking on tomato leaves in the past with nothing happening to them.   Of course they did prefer the tomato fruit.  Maybe leaf intake was small???

That is a good question, I know the popular claim is that tomato leaves are 'toxic' but I was recently reading an article recently that debunked that as mostly a myth, yes they contain tomatine and solanine but so do green tomatoes and even red ripe ones...

Not, saying that it's a complete myth and toxicity is a funny thing especially across different types of animals, but it does appear the entire tomato leave toxic claim is highly exaggerated...

I am glad to be in the Illinois group. I am in the St.Louis metro area. Anybody close to me? I am looking to get some new chicks.
Michelle

That is a good question, I know the popular claim is that tomato leaves are 'toxic' but I was recently reading an article recently that debunked that as mostly a myth, yes they contain tomatine and solanine but so do green tomatoes and even red ripe ones...

Not, saying that it's a complete myth and toxicity is a funny thing especially across different types of animals, but it does appear the entire tomato leave toxic claim is highly exaggerated...
I know that my hands & arms break out when I pick tomatoes. My chickens avoid them too & here's the proof....

Here's what's left of my broccoli plants after my chickens learned they could hop the garden fence.

Notice the wild tomato plant in the area that was once a broccoli forest.

I am glad to be in the Illinois group. I am in the St.Louis metro area. Anybody close to me? I am looking to get some new chicks.
Michelle
Welcome, Michelle! I'm not close but my daughter, and her family, live in O'Fallon. What kind of chicks are you looking for? Can you have roosters?

Well we're back from our trip and the flock is fine. Hopalong has lost her limp so she needs a new name! My six BR are 17 weeks and at least one of them has started to lay. Temps have been miserable here until this week but no adverse effects on the girls. My neighbors did a fine job of hen sitting. I miss having a roo but we may be moving so not fair to add another bird I can't take with me. Anybody want to buy a farmette that comes with chickens?:(

Faraday - that's quite a job the birds did on your broccoli patch...those Orp chicks are adorable
Junibutt - Congratulations on your new grandson! Shame about the hen
Michelle - welcome!
Notafarm - waving. Hope the bad weather missed you. Think of your gs every day

Everyone have a great 4th. The hens and I will be weeding and eating japanese beetles (the hens not me lol).

Cat

Not a farm

I am on the search for a chocolate egg layer. I was thinking black maran or black copper maran. I am pretty close to maxing out my coop space so I can only handle 2 birds. Is your daughter in Ofallon, Il or Ofallon, Mo? I am not allowed roosters. boo
Michelle

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom