Illinois...

Well we're back from our trip and the flock is fine. Hopalong has lost her limp so she needs a new name! My six BR are 17 weeks and at least one of them has started to lay. Temps have been miserable here until this week but no adverse effects on the girls. My neighbors did a fine job of hen sitting. I miss having a roo but we may be moving so not fair to add another bird I can't take with me. Anybody want to buy a farmette that comes with chickens?
sad.png

Faraday - that's quite a job the birds did on your broccoli patch...those Orp chicks are adorable
Junibutt - Congratulations on your new grandson! Shame about the hen
Michelle - welcome!
Notafarm - waving. Hope the bad weather missed you. Think of your gs every day

Everyone have a great 4th. The hens and I will be weeding and eating japanese beetles (the hens not me lol).

Cat

frow.gif
Hi, Cat! Moving?! Where?! Not taking chickens with you?!

Thanks for thinking of Kyle!
hugs.gif

Not a farm

I am on the search for a chocolate egg layer. I was thinking black maran or black copper maran. I am pretty close to maxing out my coop space so I can only handle 2 birds. Is your daughter in Ofallon, Il or Ofallon, Mo? I am not allowed roosters. boo
Michelle
O'F, IL. No chocolate egg layers here....
@ChickenCanoe is near St. Louis, in MO, and I think he has dark egg layers, Penedesencas I think. Try pming him.

I have 4 pairs of black bantam cochins about 8 weeks old, and a pair of Partridge bantam cochin, a pair of Silver laced bantam cochins and a couple of extra cockerels, if anyone is interested. They are adorable, will post pics if anyone is interested.

Here is the new grandbaby Jeremiah. Born a month early but strong and healthy, just having a bit of an issue with jaundice.

I have 4 pairs of black bantam cochins about 8 weeks old, and a pair of Partridge bantam cochin, a pair of Silver laced bantam cochins and a couple of extra cockerels, if anyone is interested. They are adorable, will post pics if anyone is interested.

Here is the new grandbaby Jeremiah. Born a month early but strong and healthy, just having a bit of an issue with jaundice.
So sweet!
love.gif

Congratulations!

I have 4 pairs of black bantam cochins about 8 weeks old, and a pair of Partridge bantam cochin, a pair of Silver laced bantam cochins and a couple of extra cockerels, if anyone is interested. They are adorable, will post pics if anyone is interested. Here is the new grandbaby Jeremiah. Born a month early but strong and healthy, just having a bit of an issue with jaundice.
He's beautiful!!!

I'm realizing it's short notice and a long way for most of you but I wanted to mention this.

DH2B and I are heading to Mother Earth News Fair next weekend in West Bend, Wisconsin, July 9-10. We were supposed to be going with some friends but unfortunately they were unable to get the days off and as it now stands we have an extra pair of tickets for the whole weekend and don't want them to go to waste. Please if anyone is interested PM me so we can work out how to get you the tickets. Thanks again I hope someone will be interested and want the tickets so they don't go to waste.

Last edited:
Trouble finally let her chicks go. (Chicks are age 7.5 weeks) She laid her 1st egg yesterday & her 2nd egg this morning.
Is it just me or does it look like he's jumping for joy to be on his own?

Below is Trouble's 3rd chick - Marshmallow.

Cookie's chicks are about 10 days old. She's a frequent broody, but she doesn't mother them past 5 weeks. I believe most of that is due to their giant size in comparison to the bantam mama.

Did I mention that Princess just went broody?
barnie.gif
Chick overload!
If anyone wants some LF orps, let me know.

PS- Princess going broody is not all bad. DD is doing a 3rd trial for her project, so we'll just put Princess to work as a hatcher & brooder.

Last edited:
Trouble finally let her chicks go. (Chicks are age 7.5 weeks) She laid her 1st egg yesterday & her 2nd egg this morning.
Is it just me or does it look like he's jumping for joy to be on his own?

Below is Trouble's 3rd chick - Marshmallow.

Cookie's chicks are about 10 days old. She's a frequent broody, but she doesn't mother them past 5 weeks. I believe most of that is due to their giant size in comparison to the bantam mama.

Did I mention that Princess just went broody?
barnie.gif
Chick overload!
If anyone wants some LF orps, let me know.

PS- Princess going broody is not all bad. DD is doing a 3rd trial for her project, so we'll just put Princess to work as a hatcher & brooder.
Do you have any black Orps that are breeder quality?

Back
Top Bottom