Illinois...

Being outside THIS weekend - yuck! But I must admit, I miss camping.

Growing up, my parents had a pop up trailer with a port-o-potty for night time use. We traveled all over the USA. When I was in HS, they upgraded to a bigger trailer with mini bathroom, microwave, & A/C.

I tried to get DH to enjoy camping ONCE. We rented a huge mobile home trailer at our destination in South Dakota but stayed in hotels along the way. DH enjoyed the campfires, hiking, horses and beautiful scenery, but he was too tall to enjoy the trailer. At 6'5" he had to be especially careful near every ceiling light & fan. He had to kneel to use the shower & his feet hung off the bed. I've never been able to get him to try again.
barnie.gif
lau.gif

Growing up, my parents had a pop up trailer with a port-o-potty for night time use.  We traveled all over the USA.  When I was in HS, they upgraded to a bigger trailer with mini bathroom, microwave, & A/C.

We have a vintage popup and it's still usable but it really needs new canvas so we don't use it often if at all... We have talked several times about getting a larger camper though and probably will someday...

I just don't see myself tent camping at the Dells again, I just looked up the rates for the Kalahri resort, starting next month aka 'off season' you can get a weekday room for $200 a night and that comes with indoor water park access... For $29 more per adult and less for children you get full access to their indoor amusement park as well... So basically for just over $1000 we could spend 5 days at a faux Disney type resort that they kids would love...

To put that in perspective, the camp site we stated at this weekend was at Sherwood Forest and was $43 a site no electric or water, just a pitch your tent site and we had to reserve two sites because there is a 2 car and 6 adult limit per site and we had 4 cars and 7 adults, so one site was needed to park 2 cars at and pretend someone was camping there :) It was a nice park an I would certainly entertain going back with a popup or camper and at minimum getting an electric site...

We do want to travel with the kids though, neither of us grew up in families that traveled so we missed out on that... When we were working in the music industry (before kids) we did a lot of weekend traveling, we were going to over 50 concerts/shows a year all over the US for several years straight... Yeah most of it was the Midwest states but we did do at least one or two further excursions each year, to places like FL, CA, or NY...

Recently moved from Indiana to Channahon Illinois near Joliet. I'll be starting my flock from scratch because when I sold my previous home, the buyers wanted all the animals to stay!
I'm looking for Cochins if anyone has any?

@
  • Pandora
  • Get your coop set up and ready, I'm sure you will get some responses soon. If that does not come thru, then you can go to Kankakee County Fairgrounds, which is near you . The first weekend in September and October. Chicken and pigeon swap. operated like a flea market. Here is a link to get more information.. http://www.kankakeefair.org/149-tri-k-pigeon-bantam-club
  • And Welcome to the Illinois Thread.
    welcome-byc.gif

We have a vintage popup and it's still usable but it really needs new canvas so we don't use it often if at all...
Consider back yard camping for your children to have fun. I know it sounds kind of corny but it was very enjoyable for my kids when they lived at home. One summer my son stayed in the pop up all the time weather permitting. Had quick access to the house should need arise.
lau.gif

Last edited:
Recently moved from Indiana to Channahon Illinois near Joliet. I'll be starting my flock from scratch because when I sold my previous home, the buyers wanted all the animals to stay!

welcome-byc.gif
Welcome Pandora, were you looking for LF or bantams? I have some bantam cochins if your interested. I have Silver laced, Blues, blacks and Mottled. And once they are done being broody, I have a mottled frizzled roo awaiting to give the mottled and solid girls some attention.

Last edited:
Consider back yard camping for your children to have fun.  I know it sounds kind of corny but it was very enjoyable for my kids when they lived at home.  One summer my son stayed in the pop up  all the time weather permitting.  Had quick access to the house should need arise. :lau  

Not corny at all, we will probably do that in time... Even though we don't rent the entire 30 acres we are living on we can still use it as long as we are not interfering with the parts a local farm tills... That leaves us with the give or take 4 acres that is forested with oak trees that the girls call 'Wonderland' when we take them out exploring... A perfect place to camp...

Last edited:
Welcome to this thread
welcome-byc.gif

I live between Joliet and New Lenox so we are almost neighbors.

woot.gif

Just got back from the 1st day of the county fair judging. The judges not only enjoyed DD's chicken training presentation, but one of them gave her contact info because she wants to buy some backyard hens. As we were leaving, DD saw her poster was moved to the front with the big "Best in Show" rosette. Her project will be going to Springfield! .....probably. Our county has a rule that only one project per child may go to state, so if she gets chosen for more than one area, she will have to choose which one to bring. (She completed 17 different projects this year.)

Here's the poster she made to go along with her video.

I liked how she stamped a trail of chicken feet across the bottom.
Video was posted earlier but here's another link.

The other really big project was for vet sci. Thanks to some generous BYC friends, she was able to conduct a 3rd trial and make some good conclusions.

Here is a possible helper. I got this from my DSIL and have not used it yet. There are many different ones to choose from. This one I think came from Cabela's, but not sure.
We would love a trail cam but sadly can't afford it right now. We believe it's the fox we have previously seen take birds. It would already have been SSS'd except that we have never gotten a clear shot at it. The danged thing has no real fear of people and has to go. It's quite large, bigger than my 18 lb sheltie, though I'm sure it's a fox not a coyote. That doesn't mean there couldn't also be a coyote involved as well. We also saw a badger(95%) positive one night but haven't seen it since. We lost 5 birds in the last week with a possibility of more in the form of our juveniles which we have not been keeping a nightly count on. Think 25 obnoxious teenagers that never stay still. Lol we did cull the birds that brought the respiratory illness into our flock(-7). The bodies and all their bedding were burned the quarantine run and the equipment were all heavily bleached. We treated our flock with antibiotics(oxytetracycline) with the worst two birds also receiving a 7 day treatment of injections of tylan 50. The flock is now exhibiting no symptoms and appears fully recovered. The juveniles never exhibited any symptoms. We are still planning to have a few necropsied done to see if anything is found and see if they flock will be carriers. I am hoping judging by the quick response to antibiotics and fast recovery that this will not become something chronic or make the flock carriers. We would have done the necropsies already but we are a little short of the money needed right now. A week or two should do it. We have been being incredibly careful to keep the chicks in the house that haven't been exposed to the illness healthy and unexposed. Including wearing specific clothes outside and washing our hands and shoes/boots, before coming inside where we change and promptly wash our hands and arms again. We have also been doing all the baby chores before dealing with the outside birds. Many of the flock never exhibited any symptoms of illness including all the juveniles. We are wondering if the cockerals we've been growing out are still okay to eat, of course after the antibiotic withdrawal period. Would a respiratory illness make them inedible, does anyone know?
:woot Just got back from the 1st day of the county fair judging. The judges not only enjoyed DD's chicken training presentation, but one of them gave her contact info because she wants to buy some backyard hens. As we were leaving, DD saw her poster was moved to the front with the big "Best in Show" rosette. Her project will be going to Springfield! .....probably. Our county has a rule that only one project per child may go to state, so if she gets chosen for more than one area, she will have to choose which one to bring. (She completed 17 different projects this year.) Here's the poster she made to go along with her video. I liked how she stamped a trail of chicken feet across the bottom. Video was posted earlier but here's another link.
The other really big project was for vet sci. Thanks to some generous BYC friends, she was able to conduct a 3rd trial and make some good conclusions.
Love it!!! What were her egg sexing results? Tell her Congratulations!!!!

Back
Top Bottom