Illinois...

We had a 13 week old cockeral trying his luck with the ladies the last several days. He's such a baby it's hilarious! He got his butt kicked by our white sport cream legbar for trying. Then she chewed him out for a half hour lol priceless.

We have two 13 week old cockerals getting sickle feathers in their tales already. I don't even think they have saddle feathers yet but they're getting them.

What age do you guys process your extra boys? We have a 20 wk old choc orp who will have to go soon. He's got a sweet temperament & nice sounding crow but his comb is not perfect enough to sell for a breeding program. If anyone is in need of a guardian for a layer flock, let me know. We'd rather he live than become a meal, but we have too many gorgeous roo to choose from.
PM me if interested & I can share some pics.

What age do you guys process your extra boys?  We have a 20 wk old choc orp who will have to go soon.  He's got a sweet temperament & nice sounding crow but his comb is not perfect enough to sell for a breeding program.  If anyone is in need of a guardian for a layer flock, let me know.  We'd rather he live than become a meal, but we have too many gorgeous roo to choose from.
 PM me if interested & I can share some pics.

Idk of this question is directed at me or not. But if it is I've been asking that very same question. We have a lot of boys we're growing out for that purpose and this is our first year doing this. I asked on the WI thread to which I was answered any time between 12 weeks and 6 months work and also whenever I can't stand all the crowing anymore. Lol

I figure depending on the bird and how meaty they are we would do about 16-26 weeks give or take. I'm sure we may do some at 14 and perhaps some a bit older. We'll see. These will also be our first birds we've raised that we'll eat thanks to the predators taking all the older cockerals.

Help Illinois. I was given a single 2 day old chick today, does anyone have any chicks available right now? I do not care what breed, just need a buddy, female preferred. I can come and pick up tomorrow. I am located in Chicago suburbs, willing to travel up to 3hrs out.

Help Illinois. I was given a single 2 day old chick today, does anyone have any chicks available right now? I do not care what breed, just need a buddy, female preferred. I can come and pick up tomorrow. I am located in Chicago suburbs, willing to travel up to 3hrs out.

Hi Bronson, if nobody has any, you could always hit the feed store on 56th and harlem. They always have chicks.
There is also another more so in the city, I can't remember the name. Call and check first.

Remembered Belmont Feed

Last edited:

Well if you're looking for a similar age I'm in South Central WI. I'm not sure on the time/distance away from you. We have some mixed bantams that are less than a week old. Sunday they'll be a week old. They are straight run however. It's up to you.

I know that some of the people on this thread have some older chicks that are sexable/sexed that are pullets. If your baby is brand new though it could easily get trampled.

@Faraday40

Just let me know.

Sad day here yesterday. My SL mama brought her baby out of the coop and went over by the adults food and water dish on the other side of the yard. Sad to say, the baby fell into the water bowl. I went out to sit with them for a while when I noticed. Poor mama was looking for the baby the rest of the day. I have food and water inside and outside the coop for the chicks, but the baby was probably following mom. I really should start using the cup or nipple drinkers.
he.gif

Sad day here yesterday. My SL mama brought her baby out of the coop and went over by the adults food and water dish on the other side of the yard. Sad to say, the baby fell into the water bowl. I went out to sit with them for a while when I noticed. Poor mama was looking for the baby the rest of the day. I have food and water inside and outside the coop for the chicks, but the baby was probably following mom. I really should start using the cup or nipple drinkers.
he.gif
Oh My. I'm so sorry!
hugs.gif

Sad day here yesterday. My SL mama brought her baby out of the coop and went over by the adults food and water dish on the other side of the yard. Sad to say, the baby fell into the water bowl. I went out to sit with them for a while when I noticed. Poor mama was looking for the baby the rest of the day. I have food and water inside and outside the coop for the chicks, but the baby was probably following mom. I really should start using the cup or nipple drinkers. :he

Oh no! I'm so very very sorry. Poor Mama. And poor baby. We usually keep the broodies and babies separate for a week or nearly a week with a little chick waterer before putting them in with the flock and the bigger waterers. Still it makes sense that they would use the little waterer.

Sending hugs your way.

Back
Top Bottom