Illinois...

Thanks ChicagoClucker. I've turned down two possibles. One guy seemed too interested in whether the roos fight....the other responder couldnt make her mind up whether she planned to eat them. Im starting to do chicken math.... Maybe I nust need more hens instead of fewer roosters? ;)

New Sci Project Idea......
After doing poultry sci experiments for 3 years in 4H, DD will be doing her 1st sci fair at school. The teacher said she should pick a topic she enjoys, so here's her idea:
Can you hatch store eggs? (She was on this site & found a thread about hatching fertilized eggs from Trader Joes.)

he.gif
I just put the incubator into storage! I don't need or want chicks in Nov-Dec!!!
.... On the other hand, I agree that she should work with a topic of her choice. I tried to plant suggestions about egg production &/or more training using the chickens we have. We'll see what she picks.

Meanwhile, my question is has anyone ever seen fertile eggs for sale at Whole Foods &/or Trader Joes in IL - or any store in IL? If not, we do have a few Asian Markets & farmer markets that sell quail eggs. Wouldn't they have a better chance of being fertile? Worst case, I suppose we could wash some of our eggs, drive them around a while, & then put them in the fridge before incubating.

After doing poultry sci experiments for 3 years in 4H, DD will be doing her 1st sci fair at school. The teacher said she should pick a topic she enjoys, so here's her idea:
Can you hatch store eggs? (She was on this site & found a thread about hatching fertilized eggs from Trader Joes.)

he.gif
I just put the incubator into storage! I don't need or want chicks in Nov-Dec!!!
.... On the other hand, I agree that she should work with a topic of her choice. I tried to plant suggestions about egg production &/or more training using the chickens we have. We'll see what she picks.

Meanwhile, my question is has anyone ever seen fertile eggs for sale at Whole Foods &/or Trader Joes in IL - or any store in IL? If not, we do have a few Asian Markets & farmer markets that sell quail eggs. Wouldn't they have a better chance of being fertile? Worst case, I suppose we could wash some of our eggs, drive them around a while, & then put them in the fridge before incubating.

From all the stories I have read about people hatching Trader Joe eggs, they aren't labeled as fertile eggs, they were just the white eggs (leghorn) sold at Trader Joe's. People bought them and incubated,and it seemed that people on the west coast had more luck at hatching larger quantities. The trader joes' should be supplying eggs from local areas, I would give it a shot.

Last edited:

he.gif

I read the trager joe egg thread here before I got chickens... I checked the store eggs and none were fertile.. no bullseye :(

he.gif

I read similar articles as Chicago Clucker, about Trader Joe's eggs. There is a thread about it. These here in our area are not likely to have fertile eggs. Free rang/cage free/ organic, does not equate hens accompanied by a rooster companion. Here are my thoughts: Seek out a country market, or organic foods store in Amish country. Closest to my knowledge would be Shipshewana, or Nappanne Indiana. These farmers that could possibly supply such markets, most certainly would have flocks of chickens with roosters as sentries. Getting eggs directly from such farmers would cancel the need for DD's experiment. As for Quail eggs. That would be a toss up. 50/50. Someone supplying these small Asian Food Markets with eggs can have both genders in their cages. Quail are cute birds, and I wish I could keep them. Here is the problem.;; Free range them, and they are GONE.
hit.gif

I had a friend who did this in WI...but the Traders Joes eggs were labeled as fertile eggs and she had 3 of the dozen hatch. I would try those quail eggs and see what happens. My daughter did a science fair project on comparing hatching via incubator and broody... Broody had a better hatch rate ( back when we used a styrfoam incubator) and they got bigger faster. Fun to do

Vent time...

Been a long few weeks for me, about 3 weeks ago, a bracket on our mower deck ripped putting it out of order while the already in need of cutting grass continued to grow... It was something that I could fix 'easily' if I had the proper tools, but sadly I don't... So it was fix it with what I do have, and that took much longer and required a lot more work, but in the end I was able to fabricate a new bracket with mostly hand tools and weld it on with my cheap welder even though it came with a lot of choice words knowing full well how much easier it would be with the proper tools...

Get that done and start to catch up on the mowing... Then my allergies were over the top 2 weeks ago, apparently ragweed was in full force then and abnormally high in the area from what I read... Even though I have a slew of allergies I'm generally never that bad off... My body finally adjusted to the allergies only to have everyone in the house including myself come down with the flu this week, seems it's going around the pre-school as everyone is sick there...

So trying to deal with all the health things and come Thursday our dishwasher fails, the control board inside actually burned up, the 'fire' was contained but it's literally toasted and not really worth fixing due to cost and risk at this point
wink.png
The landlord will cover the cost of replacement on that but due to our lease agreement handshake, I'm responsible for buying a new one (I'll get a used one) and installing it... Not a big deal as it's a quick job but still a hassle of picking one up and doing the work when everyone is sick... Figured I would do that this weekend, but to add insult to injury our cloths dryer took a poop Friday night as well, and that is our owned appliance so our responsibility... I narrowed the fault down to either the gas valve solenoids (about $10) or the gas valve itself ($100+) but both would require ordering online and rolling the dice as the solenoids actually test OK but could still be bad from what I read... So today we hit up a few Menards, unknown to many most Menards sell the used appliances they pull from peoples houses when their contractors do installs... They put them outside by the guard station for $69, $49 or $29 and then drop it down to the next level every 30 days if it doesn't sell... So it's a great place to get cheap appliances in a bind... They also offer a 2 week return on it so it's not sold as is, but from my past experiences they always need some TLC... Anyway rolled the dice on a very unique Fisher and Paykal brand 'top loader' dryer that appeared to be in decent shape and because it was an oddball and generally foreign top loader design it was only $29... Sadly to say after giving it a once over it needs a new $100 bearing to function properly, but on the good side I was able to snag the gas valve solenoids off it and get our old one running for now so it won't be going back to Menards.. And if I find my existing dryer actually needs a new gas valve and it's not just the solenoids, I have that as well since most are universal and can be made to work.. I'll just part the rest of it out on Ebay and get back my $29 and then some but still a hassle... Or another way to look at it we paid $19 for same day delivery of the $10 solenoid with a free backup $100 gas valve
wink.png

Have a few Craigslist emails (as well as LetsGo and OfferUp messages) out on some dishwashers now, hoping to grab one tomorrow since the three local Menards didn't have any used dishwashers in black or stainless, just a single dented up white one between the three stores we visited...

So now we hold our breaths now and hope this is all for now...
After writing all of this I.m sure your fingers got very tired, to the point that you missed giving us the IMPORTANT NEWS.
How is the Red Tail doing??? and How is the found/lost pigeon doing ???
I sincerely hope that all are getting over that flu bug. I thought flu season is not supposed to start for another 2 months.
idunno.gif

he.gif

Some Whole Foods stores carry fertile eggs. Sometimes they are hidden deep behind regular organic eggs. One needs to check the dates they were packed though and can ask the manager when they re-order and restock to get the freshest of them.

he.gif

Instead of store eggs make the experiment about hatching refrigerated eggs . Test to see if refrigeration lowers hatch rate .

Back
Top Bottom