Illinois...

Oopsie & the 2 other female mauve -whites came from eggs you marked "D" The mottled chocs came from eggs marked "DO."

I agree that Oopsie's not a splash because her color is completely even. It's not technically a white, but kind of a pretty cream.
Yes, she is Dove's so the possibility of recessive white diluting the mauve appearance is very much there. She is pretty anyways. Next time I will keep a chick (if it does hatch) that looks like her.

I took some pics today of my recent hatch.

Quail @ 2 days old. I have 3 yellow & 1 brown, but trying to photograph all at once would be difficult.

They're already bigger than a quarter!

The 3 silkies hatched on time Sat. morning. Also 2 days old.
One on left has a beard & big head dome. DD's in love with all 3, so I must assume I have 3 males. LOL

Below are the 2 on right - close up. I read somewhere that looking at the shape of the head dome as day old chicks could help determine gender. (oval vs. round, but I can't remember which is which) Probably an old wives' tale, but I can no longer find where I read that. If anyone knows of it, please share.

Most of the orps hatched on Fri, so they're 3 days old.
Here are Oopsie's 3 chicks. Blue one is in middle. The blacks have nice dark heads, but their bodies are slightly gray rather than black.

One of her blacks has a mask

Left to right: a black, a lav, & the blue

@Faraday40 they are adorable!!! Congrats on the hatch.

I had an impulse moment last night, and saw an auction on some chocolate cuckoos.
hide.gif
The roo was spectacular! The auction were for chicks and had just ended. But I sent the seller a message, telling her how handsome her roo was and I would love some like him. She said she had some eggs she could send out tomorrow. How could I resist ! Will be pulling out the incubator tonight for clean up and a test run. My ultimate plan is to create Blue Cuckoos of which I can't find too often.

The falcons and hawk have been relentless today. Everyone is locked up, but they still keep taking turns staking out the yard and calling to each other. Uggggg

Last edited:
Our 4.5 yr old EE hen (Tyrion) has been taking longer to lay her egg. Her eggs have always been somewhat bullet shaped with a pretty blue shell. They look normal (slightly larger as she aged) and have a nice hard shell - no blood streaks. Besides more time in the nest box, Tyrion makes quiet, pitiful, little noises for about 10-20 min prior to laying the egg. I've heard other hens do this for the last 1-5min before the egg comes out, and some never make a peep. I just worry she's having difficulty or in pain. Even Mr Dummy (our sweet, loving roo) has spent some time by her side guarding the nest box where she sits. Is there something I can do to make her process easier? Any vitamins to help? or, Is this just her way & what happens as hens age?

About Tyrion:
Tyrion's an EE, so with that comes a quirky personality. She's a fearless, squirrel chasing, sandwich stealing hen. Outside, she lives for adventure and patrols the yard, but inside the coop, she is a nosy busy-body who's constantly checking out which hens are laying & in which nest. As the last to hatch & smallest chick, we were surprised how she kept up with the older chicks. She pecked at the nose of our 100lb dog, taught him to respect tiny fluffy chicks, and earned the name "Tyrion." We were fairly certain Tyrion would eventually crow & be rehomed, but at 5 months old, she laid an egg instead. Because of her intense curiosity & fearless nature, we never expected her to live a long life. (Tyrion once accompanied a rooster to chase off a juvenile Cooper's Hawk!)
th.gif

PS- Tyrion hates the snow & refuses to walk through it. She always looks very grumpy in winter.

Back
Top Bottom