Illinois...

Quote:
I have used it and would only use it as a hatcher. Does not maintain temperature well at the edges, so I had several eggs hatch on Day 22 and 23 despite the fact I was changing positions to compensate. The only advantage I see is the auto-turner.

Last edited:
Chick time!!! & Time for that favorite game...."Guess the gender!"

For those with silkies, can you help identify genders? They are just about 5 weeks old

This chick has a wide comb. Male??

This one also has a wide comb. Male?

This one has the thinnest comb. Female?

It's also possible that they are mixed. I bought a silkie assortment of eggs. They hatched very well considering all the hardships during shipping, but 2 don't have domed heads & the 3rd had a white toe tip at hatch.

That 3rd one is DD's fav, so that's the only one I really hope is a female. If only this one is a female, then she'll at least have an easier time letting go of the other two. Of course if it's a female then this is the 1st time in her life that she picked a female as her "fav."

DD's 2nd fav (& also my fav) is Oopsie's blue orp chick. Up until today, she's been looking female. Today I noticed some tiny wattles. Uh oh! @Junibutt What do you think? I guess I'll likely know in about a week.

My male orps tend to grow their combs & wattles long before all their feathers come in. Speed of feather growth means nothing here. It's all about the head gear!

Here are some 4 week old male chicks.

Here are my "SS" pullets. Obviously the 1st one is not an SS, but at least she looks like a pullet. I'm guessing it's a Welsummer. Does anyone agree? (It could be a Brown Leghorn, but I think it would have a bigger comb.)

Spec sussex. For some reason, I didn't think there would be this much white. She's from hatchery stock.

The last 3 chicks that we kept to grow out are the Appenzeller Spitzhauben. I have no idea how to tell genders of these until they get red wattles around 6-7 weeks. Here are the 3 diff chicks. It doesn't make it easier that they all look alike.

Oopsie's daughter may turn into a son I am afraid. Looking pretty though. Well as you said you will find out for sure in a week or two.

Everyone here made it through the night and still looks good! Got them fresh corid water in there now and they are looking strong still. Really having a hard time not checking to see if they have welsummers or marans out in woodstock haha. Also I guess I am glad the big ones are still in the garage since its supposed to be so cold and maybe snow again, but I want to get them out. Looking forward to next week!

Well it finally looks like today is the day. Cuckoo egg is rocking and baby is chirping away under the broody hens outside. But on a sad note, my mottled hen seems to be egg bound. Watched her yesterday and ended up giving her a warm bath last night but no luck.

@Faraday40 those chicks are adorable. I agree with Junibutt that the blue chick looks like a boy and I also agree with you on the Welsummer guess. Looking at the yellow legs and her feathers coming in, I would say welsummer pullet also.

Last edited:
OK found this little guy cold n lifeless on the floor of the coop. Brought him in and put him in the incubator to see if he would make it and he did! Pretty sure he is Silver lace split to black of which I wanted. YAY! No cuckoo pips yet

Awwww. So glad he didn't pass. You could name him/her Lucky,Miracle, Hope, etc.

With all those broodies you have, how did it happen?

Hi guys thank you all for the support and sympathy. Please keep the prayers coming. Grandpa is on three IV antibiotics and has calmed down some but we still don't know what the future holds. The little chocolate cuckoo chick was sent out but we haven't received any news yet on the necropsy. The groundhog was caught last week in a live trap and returned to the backyard. Poor thing. We are hoping the trauma will keep it from ever coming back. Well guys I didn't believe it but we heard some noises in the basement last Friday and set out traps expecting to catch a mouse. The next morning there was a rat in the trap. That makes two we've seen here. Hopefully that is all but the traps are all set mouse rat groundhog oh my! Lol gosh this is beginning to seem like a twisted zoo around here lol Hopefully there are no little rats running around bc that would just be nine kinds of awful. Again these two are the only two wild rats I've ever seen and I'm not happy to know they were in my home! Ick! That being said hopefully they're gone and there won't be any more. Now that the groundhog is gone we may be putting poison out in the basement to deal with any other unwanted visitors. We have 3 brooders set up. 1 with almost 2 week old chicks and with bantam chicks hatched in February. I was hoping to get some chicks from our oegb roo Mickey that we lost and unfortunately it's looking like we did not succeed. We also have two quail brooders set up One with week and a half olds(also one 2.5 week old) and one with 4 week olds The size difference is amazing but they are also very different lines. Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear Moose is being a heat and that the egg was crushed. Poor baby. Congrats on the new babies! Where'd you order from? Thank you Oh yes I'm with Faraday40 give them to me ;) lol. Wish I could loan you a silkie lol Also don't underestimate the lowest pecking order broody. We had a girl last year that I was worried about with her chicks and the flock. A little grey silkie named Lovey and that bird was probably our best broody last year she was fearless! Lol when another hen decided she wanted to be Mommy she got her butt kicked lol. I love hearing about your hatches! Let me know if you've got an extra silver pencilled rock pullet please or any other chicks. Today is day 7 for our Easter hatchalong eggs and I can't wait to candle. We had a birthday party over the weekend for DH2B and sime of the guests were asking me about chickens and quail and everyone wanted to see the babies and such. Then I surprised everyone when I got out the flashlight and candles a few eggs there were lots of oohs and ahs lol If course any reason to talk about my chickens and educate people and I'm there. We had some family and friends over that were fearful of the birds and thinking they might be aggressive. Lol especially when I ended up holding one of our massive chocolate cuckoo english Orp boys. Priceless!! Lol Dinner was provided by the chickens as we had pulled BBQ chicken sandwiches and they were super tasty. Amazingly no one freaked out about it being one of our birds. There were some questions and friendly jokes but it was great! I was able to educate many of the guests on everything from egg to table is really brief conversations. A few people wanted more info and we will hopefully be getting some new egg customers out of it. :) We have done staggered hatches several times and sometimes they do very well and sometimes not so well. I feel that it would be safe to bring the egg in and up the humidity for a few days for lockdown of that egg. Then quickly bring it back down after hatch. We use hot damp paper towels often when incubating so we don't have to mess with the wells they are especially great for staggered hatches bc once you take the towels out the humidity drops almost instantly. We use small shallow gladware containers and place the paper towels in there with a small amount of water in the dish. Make sure the paper towels act as a wick for the water. We also keep any eggs that are due to hatch in strawberry or other containers to keep them away from the water and to allow the other eggs to continue turning. I will have to snap a pic some time of the set up for staggers we do. I would think 50-60% would be fine for 2-3 days for the hatching eggs. Glad you found them a home sorry to hear they were confirmed cockerals. Lol Faraday I know you're allergic but you need to meet my cats bc they will prove to you that not all cats are that way lol Now we love our quail too and I hope you guys don't mind me throwing in my two cents. They are quite quiet and make some of the cutest noises lol. They are also very easy to keep. They can not free range as they will run away and many people keep them in rabbit hutches or even fish tanks. They don't roost. They are also not considered a livestock but rather an aviary bird or somewhere in between so many places that can not keep chickens can keep quail. They lay almost daily and their eggs are beautiful. They also have some very interesting health benefits in regards to their eggs. Do a little research and check it out. The eggs are said to be hypoallergenic- for those people that have allergies to chicken eggs. They are also not supposed to carry salmonella which is why raw quail eggs are found in recipes. They are also said to help asthma and other breathing troubles as well as heart disease and high cholesterol. They're very interesting and curious little birds and ours run to the run door when we go in to see them. They can not co-mingle with chickens bc the chickens will kill them but they don't need much space. We plan to build ours an enclosed tractor this summer to get some sun and free range. They do have some cons. They can be quite aggressive with their own kind if space is an issue or if the breeding group has too many males. They also don't use nest boxes. The chicks are very prone to cold when small(you can't expect a chick the size of a quarter to be able to heat itself of course) and I highly recommend keeping quail using nipple drinkers only. They're cleaner and safer for them all. U also recommend handling them frequently as chicks to avoid have flighty scared birds. We recently went to a breeder to pick up some chicks when we had a lone quail chick hatched and as we were getting the tour the owner pulled a bird out of a cage to show us their size(btw @faraday40 they were double the size of ours-if you want a meat line) but the female he grabbed panicked and prolapsed bc she wasn't usually handled. The prolapse did go back in but it was quite worrisome at the time. The chicks we received from him were very flighty at first but have now calmed down quite well. Still we feel that their pros far outweigh their cons and just love their antics. We try to keep them with as much space as possible and that really helps to keep them docile with each other as well. Some people say that can not be kept outside without supplemental heat in our northern winter's but they could easily be moved to a pen in the garage or basement. Sorry for the ramblings guys talk to you more later.
Well an update on the Easter hatch last night was candle number 1 and we pulled 11/36 eggs due to infertility. Darn! Guess some birds need butt trims. I also suspect the girls are purposefully avoiding the over amorous cockerals. The separated breeding group is doing great except that we are unsure if the cockerals(two slw brothers in there) are breeding at all. What a bummer if they're not. Grandpa is being moved to a psychiatric facility to try and regulate his meds. He will then be evaluated to find it if he can go back to his Alzheimer's care facility or not. :( Please continue your prayers for Grandpa and our family. All we can do now is give it to God. Unfortunately the facility he's being moved to has had associations for my Grandma as yet father died in it after a horrendous accident. I never met him but she is horrified and terrified that Grandpa will be there. Of course in over 40-50+ years medicine and psychiatric care has improved a ton.
@chickendreams24 So glad your Grandpa's doing a little better. I haven't heard from you for a while, so I was getting nervous about that. Also glad to hear that you got that groundhog out of the house. DH would be doubly concerned if it happened in our house. (When we were 1st married, I used to own Prairie dogs as pets. I bet he'd worry that I'd want to tame it for a pet! LOL) Here's Yahoo = my all time favorite pet of a lifetime. If you can, send a pic of one of your jumbo quail. Are they A&M or Coturnix? Ours are pretty big. The white ones lay eggs almost as big as my sebright's. The brown ones not as big in meat or eggs, but I like being able to sex them early. I may want to hit you up for some eggs next time we meet. Please send your DH2B our Birthday wishes. Today is DS's 7th birthday. For dinner he wants breakfast. I went one step beyond & gave him some HB eggs, granola cereal, fruit & cheese for lunch. I added a note & told my little Hobbit that it was time for 2nd breakfast. Tonight we're having pancakes. I also made a Minecraft cake & decorations. (He likes the game & it's easy enough to draw..)
Here are some pics from DS's bday party decorations. I had fun with a Minecraft themed cake & even made a creeper pinata. I called the balloons TNT. (He's 7 & a boy, so of course they're all going to explode!) I even made his gift of clothes look like an Enderman. Yes, I realize that boys don;t like to get clothes as birthday gifts, so I at least made the presentation a little fun. It was just the 4 of us, and we had a nice celebration at home.
Chick time!!! & Time for that favorite game...."Guess the gender!" For those with silkies, can you help identify genders? They are just about 5 weeks old This chick has a wide comb. Male?? This one also has a wide comb. Male? This one has the thinnest comb. Female? It's also possible that they are mixed. I bought a silkie assortment of eggs. They hatched very well considering all the hardships during shipping, but 2 don't have domed heads & the 3rd had a white toe tip at hatch. That 3rd one is DD's fav, so that's the only one I really hope is a female. If only this one is a female, then she'll at least have an easier time letting go of the other two. Of course if it's a female then this is the 1st time in her life that she picked a female as her "fav." DD's 2nd fav (& also my fav) is Oopsie's blue orp chick. Up until today, she's been looking female. Today I noticed some tiny wattles. Uh oh! @Junibutt What do you think? I guess I'll likely know in about a week. [COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR]
My male orps tend to grow their combs & wattles long before all their feathers come in. Speed of feather growth means nothing here. It's all about the head gear! Here are some 4 week old male chicks.
Here are my "SS" pullets. Obviously the 1st one is not an SS, but at least she looks like a pullet. I'm guessing it's a Welsummer. Does anyone agree? (It could be a Brown Leghorn, but I think it would have a bigger comb.) Spec sussex. For some reason, I didn't think there would be this much white. She's from hatchery stock. The last 3 chicks that we kept to grow out are the Appenzeller Spitzhauben. I have no idea how to tell genders of these until they get red wattles around 6-7 weeks. Here are the 3 diff chicks. It doesn't make it easier that they all look alike.
Well it finally looks like today is the day. Cuckoo egg is rocking and baby is chirping away under the broody hens outside. But on a sad note, my mottled hen seems to be egg bound. Watched her yesterday and ended up giving her a warm bath last night but no luck.
@Faraday40 those chicks are adorable. I agree with Junibutt that the blue chick looks like a boy and I also agree with you on the Welsummer guess. Looking at the yellow legs and her feathers coming in, I would say welsummer pullet also.
OK found this little guy cold n lifeless on the floor of the coop. Brought him in and put him in the incubator to see if he would make it and he did! Pretty sure he is Silver lace split to black of which I wanted. YAY! No cuckoo pips yet
Awwww. So glad he didn't pass. You could name him/her Lucky,Miracle, Hope, etc. With all those broodies you have, how did it happen?
More later guys I had almost finished the message but there was a glitch and it was almost all lost. Will type in more later. Ttyl

Awwww. So glad he didn't pass. You could name him/her Lucky,Miracle, Hope, etc.

With all those broodies you have, how did it happen?
I don't know what happened. I went out for a smoke and figured I would peek in on the babies. And there is the first time broody hen standing by the little orp laying on the floor of the coop. She looked like she was trying to figure out how to get him back in the nest maybe or checking if he was alive, as a got closer, she jumped back to the nest with the other 2 broody hens, which are good experienced broody mamas. So I don't know what happened or why he ended up in the middle of the floor of the coop. I thought he was dead, until I picked him up and realized he was still breathing. I like Hope, or maybe Lucky Lucy if its a pullet.

Husband is a pilot and has a few trips this week.. so that may happen sooner than later
lol.png
He wont know if I make a quick trip somewhere for the dark egg layer. He would however notice it in the brooder...
Did your DH find any new chicks? Don't worry, he'll become desensitized to it.
lau.gif

For us it's a running joke. DH is happier not knowing the number so the kids & I keep that info secret from him. Anytime someone asks how many chickens we have, they get a very vague answer. Mostly because the number fluctuates. ie- We just hatched 21 chicks a few days ago. That's a huge population jump! But, those will all be sold, so why count them? Likewise, we're growing out 9 chicks, but in reality, we're only keeping 3-4 of them. We also have some 1-2 yr old lav hens that we're breeding right now, but the kids have decided that they want more variety. When we're done hatching lavs this spring, those girls will be sold. Some roos may also be replaced. The egg & chick sales help pay for feed & other expenses. In the end, DH only wants to eat delicious eggs and not have to care for the flock. He jokes about "not liking" the chickens, but he's the 1st one to gather kitchen scraps for them. He likes to feed them & even talks to them. He also brags about our flock, eggs, gardens, & compost to others. I find that so funny because he hates being outside, thinks nature is "too messy," & prefers to spend his time in an air conditioned computer lab.

He's come a long way, though. He never had a garden & grew up eating canned vegetables.
sickbyc.gif
In fact when his family moved into a house with a fruit tree, his mom had them cut it down because she was afraid her son would eat some of those "buggy pears." His side of the family won't eat our eggs because they didn't come from the store. At least DH knows what real food tastes like now, and our kids spend plenty of time playing outside.

Back
Top Bottom