Illinois...

Here are some pictures (taken just now) that show my setup explained previously for separating a broody. This girl has been sitting faithfully for just under two weeks on these eggs. Just about a week more to go.I have had really good success separating them like this.

Excuse the broody poop. I need to get that cleaned out, but it shows she isn't doing it on the eggs!
This is my setup for separating a broody. Definitely do it at night. This picture is from last spring, but I currently have the exact same broody in the exact same place right now sitting on 10 eggs. I also have another dog cage just on the other side of this one with another broody. That one was actually hatched by this mama last spring so the other one is a first timer. We'll see how she does.

I think I am either going to move her to our dog cage like I did the last (but it was at the last minute... 1 egg had already hatched) or I am going to build a box in our tractor to move our bantams to and then put her in the bantam coop.

Coop looks great @megpie021. I just finished mine - all except the paint. Planning on all white or gray with white trim. The chickens love it. And - as with most things - it cost more and took longer than planned, lol.

Last edited:
Coop looks great @megpie021. I just finished mine - all except the paint. Planning on all white or gray with white trim. The chickens love it. And - as with most things - it cost more and took longer than planned, lol.
Cost lol. Yeah husband stopped telling me how much the trips to the store were after the second one. I was just told dont worry about it.. I am actually heading to go get the exterior paint in just a minute and cant decide what colors. I love green, so green, but I am torn between white and grey for a secondary color.

Your coop looks awesome too! I am really excited to see what my girls make of ours.

I guess you can keep roosters in your area as well. Is that correct? I can suggest many wonderful projects:)

I guess you can keep roosters in your area as well. Is that correct? I can suggest many wonderful projects:)
No roosters - live in a small town, but still a town. :) I actually gave away the two roosters I had to a friend in the country.
@thisjed I don't suppose you have plans? Looks great!
I do have plans, although they're not totally accurate as I drew them myself and modified them a bit during construction. I'm planning to take a bunch more pics though and make a post of it all - the pics should pretty much tell the whole story.

Last edited:
No roosters - live in a small town, but still a town. :) I actually gave away the two roosters I had to a friend in the country.
I do have plans, although they're not totally accurate as I drew them myself and modified them a bit during construction. I'm planning to take a bunch more pics though and make a post of it all - the pics should pretty much tell the whole story.
Its very strange that suburbs and small towns have more restrictions on chickens and roosters than Chicago. I struggle to understand this phenomenon.

Thanks for good wishes. I so have the urge to go look under but am afraid of shrink-wrapping them. So will wait. Why does the last day seem so long?
@Faraday40 @ChicagoClucker @chickendreams24

Good news, I saw at least one chick alive and healthy under the broody at around 10:00 AM today. My concern is that my regular broody keeps herself lifted about an inch or so above the nest during hatch time. However this one (first timer and less than a year old) has spread herself down even more. I wonder if she is going to crush the chicks that are hatching. What do you guys think? Shall I take the chicks and remaining eggs from her (they are very precious) or just let nature take its course and accept whatever the results are.

Its very strange that suburbs and small towns have more restrictions on chickens and roosters than Chicago. I struggle to understand this phenomenon.

Yeah I technically can't have roosters either, however I talked with my neighbor and just asked them to let me know if he became a problem. That was 8 months ago and they say they don't here him. But then again, he is a silkie and they are a little quieter. I also have a naked neck bantam cochin rooster who just started crowing but doesn't often because of the silkie and my mille fluer d'uccle has not started crowing yet.

Back
Top Bottom