Illinois...

Here's my handsome son with his pretty girl. No he's not shy. He saw this pic on my computer screen & asked if I was going to share it on "CluckBook" (What my family jokingly calls BYC.) He's also asking me to send it to his teacher. Thankfully his teacher is a big fan of our flock and was happy to get the school's chicken expert as her student.
simon-poofpoof2-jpg.1234925

I'd love to! .....as long as I could give them back as poults - or at least most of them. I sort of want a turkey but we live in a neighborhood. At some point common sense hits. So if I can hear several funny turkey stories, I can get my fix via others' experience.
Sure you hatch, keep any you want, chicken dreams can have a couple, and I will take the rest...

The first poults I got were BBB, for food.. they were the sweetest birds... they were raised with chicks...one br cockerel was going around thumping everyone on the head. The cx would cry and run off. The other br ran before she was thumped.. then He thumped a turkey on the head.. the Turkey stood up and thumped him back so hard the br almost fell down and ran off crying. After that the two were best buddies...

Unfortunately it doesn't have a happy ending.. at 6months, the BBB like the br a bit too much, and broke his back :hit. I caught him standing on the br,back of the comb torn... 3 nari turkeys had blood on their faces.

They both tasted good though.

Well, I made that 60 mile round trip today. Of course bought more than necessary. :idunno I can share with neighbor if he runs low.
IMG_20180115_154233097.jpg

Went with 3 bags of Alflock, so it will last me a while. One bag of scratch, since I still have some. Got this metal can to to keep things like
upload_2018-1-16_2-12-17.png
from even considering. I will place unopened bags inside. Now I have 2 metal cans. Plastic does not hold up to small teeth. Or BIG.:gig
On my way back from Elgin, at about 5 PM, I spotted a lonely coyote. He was thinking of crossing the roadway. He looked like hungry and cold, and with snow coming down, miserable. Seems they are hated by so many, EXCEPT the caveman. (no need for schooling, I know why). Of course thoughts crossed my mind. "If I could only feed him". Of course I am a realist, but just wanted to share my thoughts. Molpet, you told us you had one as a rescued pet once. I thought of you as I seen him. I know they are not very domestic-able.

Well, I made that 60 mile round trip today. Of course bought more than necessary. :idunno I can share with neighbor if he runs low.
View attachment 1237722
Went with 3 bags of Alflock, so it will last me a while. One bag of scratch, since I still have some. Got this metal can to to keep things like View attachment 1237723 from even considering. I will place unopened bags inside. Now I have 2 metal cans. Plastic does not hold up to small teeth. Or BIG.:gig
On my way back from Elgin, at about 5 PM, I spotted a lonely coyote. He was thinking of crossing the roadway. He looked like hungry and cold, and with snow coming down, miserable. Seems they are hated by so many, EXCEPT the caveman. (no need for schooling, I know why). Of course thoughts crossed my mind. "If I could only feed him". Of course I am a realist, but just wanted to share my thoughts. Molpet, you told us you had one as a rescued pet once. I thought of you as I seen him. I know they are not very domestic-able.
Every time I see one watching the chickens I wonder if it is related to the one I had :rolleyes:
They are beautiful .. but most predators are:rant
A neighbor is putting out corn for the wildlife. The other 2 neighbors are trapping critters digging under sheds and porches...:gigmy dog helps to keep critters away...and electric poultry fence

@cavemanrich
That looks like my cart! Did you pick up any more chickens to go with that feed? LOL Of course, I also stock up monthly since Farm & Fleet is an hour round trip for me. It's the dog food that's the biggest $ saver. They have the same high cost brand that we buy due to our older dog having sensitive skin allergies. Reg price at here @ Pet Supplies Plus: $55 vs. Farm and Fleet: $39.... and they need 2 bags per month.

A lady a few houses down loves to feed the birds.... which also means feeding the squirrels & chipmunks. She was traumatized last fall when she saw a hawk swoop down & grab a chipmunk eating some food she left out for it. As for me, I just hope the hawk gets its fill two houses down.

I stocked up so that I will not have to go in April/May. You know what they have in bins in the Center Aisles under those heat lamps. I just might not be strong enough to resist. :gig:wee

DD presented her sci fair today & DS got a perfect report card, so I decided to make a special dessert.
Apple Tarts! Technically I only made the rough puff pastry and @chickendreams24 made the pie filling. (Thank you & they were very yummy! I still have the remaining 1/2 jar to use for topping crepes.)
IMG_6752.JPG IMG_6753 copy.jpg

I also took some backyard pics...
Here are what I thought were my 2 male lav orps. (Now I really think I hatched 7 females & only 1 male. I nicknamed the male with the gold leakage "Dinner" but DD didn't appreciate my logical name. She calls him "Pretty Boy." She wants to keep him & I must admit, his unusual coloring is getting better looking.
IMG_6718 copy.jpg
IMG_6721 copy.jpg

Here's the other one with the large comb & wattles. The body of this lav below looks very female and its face is not as dark red as the brother. Both are almost 17 weeks. The confirmed male has gold laced saddle & hackle feathers in addition to thick shanks & red comb/wattles. Is there any chance this lav below could be my future rooster?
IMG_6731 copy.jpg

Here's our silkie with her 2 chicks. (7 weeks old) Pretty sure since hatch that there's a male & female. Depending on my lav roo situation, I may end up keeping the bllk/lav split male.
IMG_6725 copy.jpg

Here's GG:
IMG_6749 copy.jpg
... and of course, our good, old, sweet, boy, "Mr Dummy-pants"
IMG_6704 copy.jpg

Hi everyone,

The City of Palos Heights license committee drafted up an ordinance to allow backyard chickens. We thought it was done and all was good. Turns out, it still had to go through City Hall. Sadly I just learned that it was denied (2 out of 7 yays). So now we are back at square one. I need to get in touch with fellow chicken owners and supporters in my city to try again. Is anyone here from Palos Heights or know of residents who would be interested in reviving this ordinance? Has anyone encountered a denial in your town and overcome? I'm also reaching out to our license committee chairman and the alderman who both supported the ordinance. Any input is greatly appreciated!

Hi everyone,

The City of Palos Heights license committee drafted up an ordinance to allow backyard chickens. We thought it was done and all was good. Turns out, it still had to go through City Hall. Sadly I just learned that it was denied (2 out of 7 yays). So now we are back at square one. I need to get in touch with fellow chicken owners and supporters in my city to try again. Is anyone here from Palos Heights or know of residents who would be interested in reviving this ordinance? Has anyone encountered a denial in your town and overcome? I'm also reaching out to our license committee chairman and the alderman who both supported the ordinance. Any input is greatly appreciated!
You may want to repost here as well if you haven’t already: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/local-chicken-laws-ordinances.37/

Back
Top Bottom