Illinois...

Dahlias will need to be dug up and stored...or do like me and just buy new ones in the spring :old

Thanks for the reply! How will I need to store them if I decide/have time to pull them this fall?

The white shouldn't be until next gen :he and then/now they could be either palm, sweetgrass or calico...

and the brown could be either bronze gray, bronze semi-color semi-gray or who knows LOL Depends on what is hiding in the genome .. when they are bigger I'll put pics on porters fb page and see what they think

Oh really? They shouldn't be there yet? LOL that's the surprise of genetics. Just think about @Faraday40 's Oopsie and the white sport legbars that cropped up in US stock.

Well I'm excited to get them no matter the colors and can't wait to see what Porter's says.

I've been cruising Porter's website looking at the different varieties and there are a lot I love. Some red palms would be super cool but any would be awesome!

The crate was predator proof, as far as I know. The hen who needed hospital care recovered, healed and was happily returned to the flock.

Ideas needed! Thanks!
Not predator proof against ROCKY,,,,, (raccoon). They will eat thru plastic with no hesitation. They can eat thru plywood as well, but rarely would go to those extremes.

View attachment 1411528 The Rouen is Charcoal, the very slightly smaller Pekin with the slight Angel Wing is Tommy Waddles, and the other is Ducky McDuckface.

Attachments

• IMG_20180507_215034.jpg
    IMG_20180507_215034.jpg
    411.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Had another interesting hatch.
I got laced orps, blue orps, lav orps, & black orps. Last night I saw egg rise up & then back down. I didn't see a pip, so I flipped the egg & noticed that the chick was zipping - completely upside down. I laid the egg on its side & in minutes an adorable lav orp was crawling out.

Last night:
IMG_9520.JPG

Noon today:
IMG_9530.JPG

5pm:
IMG_9536.JPG
IMG_9541.JPG

I removed most chicks from the brooder around lunch & put them in a plastic tub brooder with the turkeys. The turkeys loved it (and were finally not afraid of chicks). For the past 2 days I had the turkeys with Smudge & chicks and the poor poults looked stressed. I didn't see them eat, so I decided to try out these younger chicks.

In the meantime, I put some eggs under Trouble & also slipped chicks under her to give the illusion that she hatched all of them. Then I just moved her & the chicks to the turkey brooder. At first is was great (pics above). Trouble was a happy mama of 16 chicks & 2 poults. Then after about 20 min, the turkeys moved around and for some reason began to cry...... which made Trouble notice they're different & attack. That caused panic screaming. They settled immediately with some cuddles, but I decided that since Smudge doesn't attack them, they'll sleep with her tonight.

Back
Top Bottom