Illinois...

Good morning all!:frow
I don't know about the rest of you but, my six hens did not want out of bed this morning! All snuggled togeather and could care less about breakfast in the run. They took they're sweet time going out. I was expecting high energy with this cool down. It's 56 right now with a high of 71. Tonight's low is 46.
I can see right now that the girls won't have a desire with going outside in the winter. Nor will I !
HAPPY FALL EVERYONE! :wee:wee

I don't know about the rest of you but, my six hens did not want out of bed this morning! All snuggled togeather and could care less about breakfast in the run. They took they're sweet time going out. I was expecting high energy with this cool down. It's 56 right now with a high of 71. Tonight's low is 46.
I can see right now that the girls won't have a desire with going outside in the winter. Nor will I !
Perhaps they saw the big hawk migration yesterday. We had one swoop by yesterday morning just as we were letting the chickens out. It was headed toward the tractor holding Trouble & her chicks. (Covered so no real danger.) Our Spitz hen was out in the open nearby & made the decision to puff out & chase away the hawk. DD & I were nearby & ran at it yelling our "hawk" alarm. Not sure who the hawk feared most but it didn't make a 2nd pass. Instead it flew back up & returned to the circling pattern. The behavior of my Spitz concerns me a bit. Hens should NOT chase hawks. She's our son's fav, so I would prefer she stay under cover.

My flock's enjoying the cooler temps today. I hope to get a lot done while it lasts.

Last edited:
Mine are almost ready for Koop still in the brooder in the garage, went out to check on them for the night it was pretty cool so I turned on the heat lamp. In fact I closed my window a little.

Macy (also called May-May) got a new hairdo today.
macy 1.jpg

Look closer! Do you like it?
Now that she can see.....
macy 2.jpg

... She needed some new accessories to go with the new style.
macy 3.jpg
.... and of course some new outfits!
macy 5.jpg
macy 4.jpg

Then it was time to go outside & show the rest of the flock.
macy 7.jpg

Hey everyone! Look at ME!
macy 6.jpg

Mr Wonderful was too busy resting in the shade to notice.
wonderful rest.jpg

But, the little silkie & the Spitz pullet started to fight over who would get their make-over next.
fight fight.jpg

OK, so perhaps my personification is a bit much, but I liked these pics & wanted to share.

Hi, All!

Just joined, and I was looking forward to communicating with local Illinoisians as well as digest the plethora of knowledge and experience on this website! My family and I are located in central IL. We have been chicken people since last April, and we are just starting to dabble in ducks! (Incubating as we speak :) )
I am in central Il also inthe county between Champaign and Decatur. Welcome.

Back
Top Bottom