Illinois...

it helps sometimes to have any of the routines of daily life, like the mail... after a disaster.

US Postal Service
The following counties in Illinois are expected to experience delays in delivery due to the storms/tornados that impacted the Midwest region: Champaign, Grundy, LaSalle, Massac, Tazewell, Washington, and Woodford.

For the latest updates on post offices impacted by severe weather/storms, please visit:

http://about.usps.com/news/service-alerts/business-weather-updates.htm
My boss lives in the City of Washington, she got her mail yesterday.... Shows they deliver rain or shine.... or tornado

Last edited:
Hello!

My name is Danielle, I live in Chicago. This year I am in my senior thesis industrial design class, and for my project I am researching the new 'urban chicken movement' on how to raise chickens in the city. For my project I would really like to fully immerse myself in the project and am in the process of actually raising a chicken during this year. The only problem is that I don't have the space for them and if I do raise a chicken I want to be able to give it everything it needs. I grew up on a farm in central Illinois so I understand animals needing their space and I don't want to jeopardize that. In the mean time I would love it if anybody through this Back Yard Chickens organization that would be willing to help me out with discussing with me how you raise your chickens, the sturggles you face, if you would want to change anything, or what parts are the best parts of the whole process, and possible design opportunities you see and so forth. If anyone would be generous enough to help just message me through here. Thank you so much!

Feel free to ask me any questions via PM
Does anyone know anywhere in IL (preferably near the Quad Cities, but I'll travel) where I can get a Red Laced Wyandotte hen, Silkies, and Sizzles?
I know someone breeding BLRW and Dotties do you still need them?

Hi, I'm new here from Joliet area. I have some questions about specific types of chickens that would be good in our area and not sure where to ask so here I am.
I'm looking for some that are good 'pet' hens for young children. (I have a 5 & 6 year old) but still hardy enough for our winters.

ydkjenn,
welcome-byc.gif
and to the Illinois thread!

We're headed to Plainfield tomorrow to spread some Christmas cheer to our son's family who couldn't get to our house for our family Christmas last Sunday due to illness. Shopped often at Louis Joliet Mall when it was called that!
old.gif

Most chickens will be friendly if young when you get them and you spend time working with them. More important is what exactly are you/they expecting from them? Lots of eggs? Pretty feathers? Unusual look? Most chickens deal with the cold very well. Roosters have more of a problem due to large combs and wattles, but since you are looking for hens, you shouldn't have to worry too much about the cold. When were you planning on getting them? Do you want chicks or some that will be laying soon? Are the children in 4-H? I know, lots of questions, but we are here to help!

Thanks for the welcome.
I'm looking to be up and running by late spring. That may be ambitious as I don't even have a coop or run built yet, (any ideas for cheap coop & run would be welcomed. I have some scrap lumber already.) but know where I want it in my yard. I have had some experience with raising pheasants as a kid in the suburbs, but we didn't really do much with them. They were just kind of there. At least hens (I hope) will be a little more interactive and productive.

As far as what I'm looking for: I'd like something that looks different, with more coloring than just white or brown, if that makes sense. I think my biggest factor is my kids being able to interact with then, then second would be egg quantity. Also, I think pullets would be best to start with as I have a feeling chicks are harder to keep alive until they can go outside? Maybe in the future, we'll do chicks.
Any luck with silkies in this area? (Though I hear they're big brooders...see I'm getting the lingo down already and have only been researching today...lol) Are they hardy enough for winters? Or easter eggers? with multi colored feathers and eggs.
I think 4H starts at age 9? Perhaps in the future it would be something to look into. Right now we're starting.

Last edited:
Check out the Coop & Run forum here on BYC........lots of ideas there! Remember that chickens deal with the cold relatively well, but the humidity created in a coop that is too tight will cause frostbite and respiratory issues. Ventilation is very important.

For materials, check out any tractor, ATV, RV, mower dealers and ask for plywood crates they may have. Lowes, Home Depot, Menards, etc have a "seconds" section that may have enough of a material for a small project, ask where the place in their store is (our Menards has it outside). Some Habitat for Humanity locations have resale stores that sell donated building supplies at reasonable prices. Garage sales, especially those out in the country, can have great finds. I got three 4x8 sheets of 3/4 plywood that had green camo spray paint that was part of a deer stand that new owners took down. Many people would be happy to have you take fence panels that they are removing or replacing or chain link dog kennel panels, don't be afraid to ask for them.

I can't help on the silkies.....I know there is at least on BYCer, tbitt, that has some and she lives between you and me. Maybe she will chime in on how they are dealing with the cold and if she has to do anything to accommodate them. The broodiness of them is much heralded so they may not be the best choice if you are wanting eggs.

My first hens ('07) were Easter Eggers. I went in with some other people (none of us wanted the minimum needed to order so went in together) and we placed a hatchery order through our co-op here. One laid an olive green egg (clearly a silver laced Wyandotte cross, black and white, no beard or muffs) and two laid blue eggs (looked more like an Ameraucana but green legged and non-standard colors). They were not friendly even though raised In the house and handled when young. They weren't skittish either, just independent, but knew who had the food and weren't afraid to come eat out of my hand. My nearby friend got some chicks from the same hatchery in the spring of '12 and she didn't get any green egg layers, just pinkish/beige and blue eggs. Hers have different feather patterns and are easy to tell apart from each other.

If you have a smaller area in which they will be confined, you may be better off with a larger, heavier breed that won't be as likely to "fly" out, buff orpington, Wyandotte, Australorp, Plymouth Rocks.

Learning all you can and planning before purchasing is a great way to spend these cold days! Welcome to the addiction that is chickens!
highfive.gif

Where do we even get chicks? Now that I've read a little more, I think chicks would be ok. But what happens if they happen to be roosters? What do we do with them then? So maybe pullets would be better first time around? I do know about handling younger the better with other animals though.
I'm planning on starting with 4.
Probably looking at EEs or amerucaunas (or however it's spelled), orpingtons, and/or silkies.
Is there a more local breeder or do most people order and have them shipped? Do they have to pre order or come spring, will there be enough stock to choose from? I don't even know where the most local feed store is.
Sorry about all the questions.

Back
Top Bottom