Illinois...

Where do we even get chicks? Now that I've read a little more, I think chicks would be ok. But what happens if they happen to be roosters? What do we do with them then? So maybe pullets would be better first time around? I do know about handling younger the better with other animals though.
I'm planning on starting with 4.
Probably looking at EEs or amerucaunas (or however it's spelled), orpingtons, and/or silkies.
Is there a more local breeder or do most people order and have them shipped? Do they have to pre order or come spring, will there be enough stock to choose from? I don't even know where the most local feed store is.
Sorry about all the questions.

Most of the farm stores have chick days in the spring. You can place a order or pick from what they have on hand. Try TSC Farm King Farm and Fleet .

Some hatcheries will allow you to order small numbers of sexed chicks so you could get the minimum and offer the extras for sale or find others around you who might be interested in some. Hatcheries will be honest when saying that their sexing is only 90% accurate so you could end up with a rooster, and then you would have to find someone wanting one. Our Tractor Supply gets bulk quantities of chicks in, but from what I have seen when I am there, I would not feel confident that the chicks in the tanks are what they are labeled.....I want to add that I am commenting only on my local TSC and not every TSC in the country. Ordering directly and getting what you want will be the best way to go.

Happy New Year ilroost and everyone!
frow.gif

Hi I'm from Wilmington. This is the first year we have chickens. It's pretty fun we got them from Rural King in Plano. There is one feed store in Shorewood but is really expensive. You can get food from Big R, Farm and Fleet or Rural King. I'm sure there might be some north but this is where I have bought ours. You can order chicks from Farm and Fleet. Both Big R and Rural King had chicks in store. Rural King had a better selection the Big R, not sure when they start to sell them. If you have any other questions let me know.

Hey does anyone have american buff, pilgrim, production Toulouse, or Pomeranian goslings/started birds? I would be interested this spring specifically so if anybody is planning some hatches I would be interested.

Hi! I am looking for some barred rock eggs. We are along I-55 about half way between St. Louis and Springfield, IL. Anybody close by have some ? I don't need them yet. I want to put them under a broody, so I would have to wait until that happens (which it does frequently around here!).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom