Illinois...

Mine don't have too much trouble with the snow. They will walk in it without a problem. They love to eat it. One thing with snow is making sure they can get up out of it every so often so they can roost and warm their feet against their bodies. I throw lots of lettuce and greens in the snow so they get used to it, and will excercise a little bit instead of staying in the coop. If it is going to snow really heavily, or the winds are going to be crazy, I will hang a tarp on the West side of their run to block the worst of it.

X2 The worst thing for a outside animal is to bring it indoors for a extended stay . When they are put back outside days later it is a shock to their system .

Wasn't planning on bringing them in the house. My garage isn't heated, nor is the coop. Actually my garage is practically a one car shed with no insulation. My thoughts were

Oops! Stupid phone. As I was saying, My thoughts were just to get my set up perfect so they were good this winter and I didn't need to worry. Not trying to spark a debate on pets vs livestock. To each his own, some people keep chickens in the house as pets, others eat their birds. I'm not judging, just looking for some help on lowering humidity and if my tiny coop wasn't gonna work I'd throw them in a corner if the garage before the snow starts next week! Yikes!

Thanks for the advice, I'm going to look at opening the south side of the coop to some air flow.

Other than a bit too much wind, today was a beautiful day to get some fall clean-up done. The fence from the vegetable garden was removed so the chickens can "clean" it. Hoses and supports were put in the barn. Daffodil, tulip and grape hyacinth bulbs were planted. Cats petted and chickens treated.....great day!

My hens were loving the beautiful day. My buff Orp just wanted to cuddle and be petted all day. I went out to close up the coop and she came running out to me for a goodnite hug. She is so sweet. Now it is relax time and I am playing with the babies. This is Marie Antoinette, my Crested Cream Legbar. She is 3 weeks and I am loving her Crest coming in.

Love the baby pics! My girls are busy digging up all the mulch I just put down
hmm.png
must be where the best worms are. I don't have the heart to make them stop.

Mine do the same thing DH put some compost down around the trees then added mulch on top. As soon as he finished, the chickens helped spread it around. Oh well.

The only thing which bothers me about our chicken landscaping team is the herb garden. They love the area under the eves where the ground stays dry, so they dug up all my herbs & strawberries. They also decimated my hostas & day lilies, but I had too many of those anyway. We had one of those water scarecrows, but they figured out how to set it off then run past during the 8 sec delay. Still trying to figure out a new containment plan.

My hens were loving the beautiful day. My buff Orp just wanted to cuddle and be petted all day. I went out to close up the coop and she came running out to me for a goodnite hug. She is so sweet. Now it is relax time and I am playing with the babies. This is Marie Antoinette, my Crested Cream Legbar. She is 3 weeks and I am loving her Crest coming in.

Very cute. My CCL are my prettiest birds in the flock. They just continue to get more beautiful as they grow.
All 4 eggs hatched & we got 3 females & 1 male.

Couldn't narrow it down to one, so we kept 2 girls. The darker one is prettier but the lighter one has more personality.

Back
Top Bottom