Illinois...

HI there!

I'm new to this thread :) We live in St Charles, IL (west of Chicago, along the Fox River). We hope to get 5 chickens end of March. We are in talks with a local craftsman who will be helping us build our coop...we're thinking of using the Wichita coop for inspiration (https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/wichita-cabin-coop). This will be our very first adventure with chickens - excited but nervous!!

We've read just about every chicken book that's out there, so we're stuffed full of 'head knowledge'. It's going to be an entirely different thing to actually put what we read into practice!

Hi Becky, I am fairly new too. I started my flock in April of 14. This site has been very helpful to this newbie. I am addicted now. Good Luck!

HI there!

I'm new to this thread :) We live in St Charles, IL (west of Chicago, along the Fox River). We hope to get 5 chickens end of March. We are in talks with a local craftsman who will be helping us build our coop...we're thinking of using the Wichita coop for inspiration (https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/wichita-cabin-coop). This will be our very first adventure with chickens - excited but nervous!!

We've read just about every chicken book that's out there, so we're stuffed full of 'head knowledge'. It's going to be an entirely different thing to actually put what we read into practice!
welcome-byc.gif
and to the Illinois thread!! I have a sister-in-law that lives in St. Charles, just east of the river and north of 38 a bit.

What kind of chickens will you be getting? It sounds like you have done your homework by educating yourself before getting them. We will be here to help in any way we can....don't be afraid to ask!!

HI there!

Welcome. We're also from the Chicago suburbs (but east of you). That's a nice coop plan for a few chickens. If possible, always go a little bigger. Even if you don't add more chickens, you'll be happy to have the extra space when the hens are cooped up in winter. Also think about cleaning / maintenance when you choose your coop. It's great to be able to stand up inside the run. Linoleum floors & removable roosts in coop make cleaning easier. Also nice to have an exterior egg door. I put my egg door on the side instead of the top, so I can clean it out easily.

I used a hook & eye to hold the back board in place. Once removed, I can sweep everything out & scrub.

OK so it may resemble a restroom, but this bathroom wallboard can be wiped down & I didn't glue the flooring down so it can be removed & hosed off. I put insulation in the walls, but didn't add electricity or heat.

At first I used wood /pine chips for the coop. Some villages give away free mulch & some breweries o coffee houses give away spent shaft. Free's good, so there are benefits to this. Worked OK in summer, but cleaning in winter without a hose gets gross. I switched to course sand (construction grade) for both coop & run. I simply use a kitty scooper daily. Takes under 5 min & I never have a dirty or muddy coop/run. Sand dries the poop out, so flies are at a minimum. I recommend researching both as well as deep litter method & pick one that fits your life.

HI there!

I'm new to this thread :) We live in St Charles, IL (west of Chicago, along the Fox River).
Have you checked out Trellis Farm & Garden on Kirk? I need to stop by there today and pick up a bag of scratch, they blend their own mix.

Also visit Primrose Farm Park near Crane & Bolcom. It's a teaching farm, part of the St. Charles park district, and they have a very nice flock of Columbian Wyandottes. They might have some extras in March...

Last edited:
Have you checked out Trellis Farm & Garden on Kirk? I need to stop by there today and pick up a bag of scratch, they blend their own mix.

Also visit Primrose Farm Park near Crane & Bolcom. It's a teaching farm, part of the St. Charles park district, and they have a very nice flock of Columbian Wyandottes. They might have some extras in March...

I have been to Trellis! They are about 5 minutes from me. I need to check out Primrose Park, it's been on my list for quite a while. I've heard great things about it :) We're due for a Golden Wyandotte in March - it will be fun to see their flock!
I take it you're in the St Charles area??

Welcome. We're also from the Chicago suburbs (but east of you). That's a nice coop plan for a few chickens. If possible, always go a little bigger. Even if you don't add more chickens, you'll be happy to have the extra space when the hens are cooped up in winter. Also think about cleaning / maintenance when you choose your coop. It's great to be able to stand up inside the run. Linoleum floors & removable roosts in coop make cleaning easier. Also nice to have an exterior egg door. I put my egg door on the side instead of the top, so I can clean it out easily. I used a hook & eye to hold the back board in place. Once removed, I can sweep everything out & scrub. OK so it may resemble a restroom, but this bathroom wallboard can be wiped down & I didn't glue the flooring down so it can be removed & hosed off. I put insulation in the walls, but didn't add electricity or heat. At first I used wood /pine chips for the coop. Some villages give away free mulch & some breweries o coffee houses give away spent shaft. Free's good, so there are benefits to this. Worked OK in summer, but cleaning in winter without a hose gets gross. I switched to course sand (construction grade) for both coop & run. I simply use a kitty scooper daily. Takes under 5 min & I never have a dirty or muddy coop/run. Sand dries the poop out, so flies are at a minimum. I recommend researching both as well as deep litter method & pick one that fits your life.
This is great info, thanks!! We are hiring someone to help us build our coop (somehow with my husband working 70 hours a week plus going to the city for his MBA plus me at home with our baby doesn't leave us a lot of time for construction projects ha!!). So we get the chance to build our custom coop with the help of an actual building expert :) Let me ask you, does insulating the coop make sense for our weather? We won't have it hooked up to electricity so we won't be heating it in the winter.

:welcome  and to the Illinois thread!!  I have a sister-in-law that lives in St. Charles, just east of the river and north of 38 a bit. 

What kind of chickens will you be getting?  It sounds like you have done your homework by educating yourself before getting them.  We will be here to help in any way we can....don't be afraid to ask!!

We've ordered an Australorp, Buff Orpington, Easter Egger, Golden Laced Wyandotte, & Barred Plymouth Rock. I think 5 will be more than enough for us to get our 'feet wet' :)

Back
Top Bottom