Illinois...

I use sand in my run and under my roosting bar. It is so easy to clean, I can't imagine ever changing. I ordered a ton of the construction grade stuff and still have a garbage can full so I was thinking of putting that in the brooder for easy clean up. Just wanted to make sure it's safe for the chicks
smile.png

Read this and it is clear. Its good.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/751747/sand-in-the-brooder-its-worth-it

First, I don't want anything next to my baby chicks that they can consume. I have not ever used Sweet PDZ and it may work fine for horses, but I noticed that it is a powder and dusts up.
I use an old, metal horse tank (that sprang a leak years ago) for my brooder, with a metal mesh lid.
When I prep the brooder, I fill it with several inches of garden dirt, preferably not yet composted. If you are removing soil that is spent that works well, OR, buy topsoil. Then I mix this:
http://www.planetwiseproducts.com/equine.htm
with shavings and then I top with old worn out towels, which I lay on top. I call them "chick diapers" bc I change them out every day for about two weeks. The equine fresh is 100% pine and is remarkable in how it keeps down ammonia in a horse stall. Just DON'T follow the bag directions and wet them down first! That's bc they try to get you to buy more by using it up. It soaks up liquid, turns to a dry powder (that doesn't waft up like the PDZ), and then soaks up liquid a 2nd time before you need to remove it. It is 100% biodegradable.
The towels make an excellent surface that baby chicks do not slip on.
After that, I mix the equine fresh with pine shavings until they are ready to leave.
Yes, I bleach the towels and they stay stored in plastic bags in a cabinet until they are needed again. Should I have a horse injury I can also use them as clean bandages.

Last edited:
First Blue Copper Marans hatched this afternoon. Heard chirping so hopefully number 2 will be on its way soon. One had better be a hen. And who else had a pond develope in their yard today

Last edited:
@ Ducks4You

I have been using the granulated sweet PDZ, but not for chicks. The hens top it with straw. It's working good so far under the roost.

Didn't read that you were talking about chicks in the brooder...

Last edited:
First Blue Copper Marans hatched this afternoon. Heard chirping so hopefully number 2 will be on its way soon. One had better be a hen. And who else had a pond develope in their yard today
Awwwww! Love the color.

And yes, the yard is either snow or mud.(where I had previously shoveled paths). Yesterday the kids were "ice skating" on the driveway & today they were splashing in some huge 2" deep puddles.

While I was cleaning the coop, I let the chickens out & they ran straight to the mud puddles to drink. I now have dried muddy chicken prints all over my patio. Thankfully, none tried to jump onto my shoulder.

Awwwww! Love the color.

And yes, the yard is either snow or mud.(where I had previously shoveled paths). Yesterday the kids were "ice skating" on the driveway & today they were splashing in some huge 2" deep puddles.

While I was cleaning the coop, I let the chickens out & they ran straight to the mud puddles to drink. I now have dried muddy chicken prints all over my patio. Thankfully, none tried to jump onto my shoulder.

You too. I have a black coat that I always wear out to the coop. My husband saw me come in the other day, and said that thing is filthy! I said, the chickens Love me!

Big day... I have confirmed that all hens are laying AND received 7 eggs from my 8 girls today. And I built/assembled a bee hive at Garfield Park Conservatory this morning. Hoping bees are a compatible hobby!

So happy for you and I want to hear how you hive goes this summer!

Back
Top Bottom