Illinois...

I need to ask a question. I ordered some olive eggers to hatch. Well I bought them from someone on one of the crazy egg auction sites here. They are a very popular breeder, website, online store etc. My eggs came today and they are the same size as my CCL eggs, young pullet eggs. They are so small, will they hatch? They did not say they were pullet eggs in their listing. They just said, OE eggs Olive egger Rooster X CCl.

Last edited:
Ok ,, I don't really understand your concern??? The mama of eggs is a CCL. so the eggs should be the same as your CCL hens. Because the rooster was different breed does not make the CCL lay different size eggs.
They should hatch. A reputable breeder would not try to slip some bum eggs on you. JMO.
smile.png

Ok ,, I don't really understand your concern??? The mama of eggs is a CCL. so the eggs should be the same as your CCL hens. Because the rooster was different breed does not make the CCL lay different size eggs.
They should hatch. A reputable breeder would not try to slip some bum eggs on you. JMO.
smile.png

No, the cross is not in question.The eggs are so small, they are pullet eggs. Will they hatch? My CCl just laid her first egg. The eggs they sent me are just as small as my hens 1st egg.

I need to ask a question. I ordered some olive eggers to hatch. Well I bought them from someone on one of the crazy egg auction sites here. They are a very popular breeder, website, online store etc. My eggs came today and they are the same size as my CCL eggs, young pullet eggs. They are so small, will they hatch? They did not say they were pullet eggs in their listing. They just said, OE eggs Olive egger Rooster X CCl.

I wouldn't worry too much. Some hens' pullet eggs are not as tiny others. If the breeder has a good reputation, then he/she must know what they're doing.

OK all 9 eggs that went into lockdown, hatched, & were moved into the brooder. I got 6 black & 3 lavender chicks.
So out of my 12 fertile eggs. 75% hatched. (If I didn't drop that egg, perhaps it would have been 83%. I still feel bad about that one!)
Here's a handful of cuteness.

I had to band some of the chicks so I can tell them apart. Some are mixes.
Like this Easter Egger Orpington. Looks like she got her Mama's cheeks.

My busy brooder. I'm trying paper towels for the 1st 2-3 days. I think I still prefer the large wood flakes, though.

OK all 9 eggs that went into lockdown, hatched, & were moved into the brooder. I got 6 black & 3 lavender chicks.
So out of my 12 fertile eggs. 75% hatched. (If I didn't drop that egg, perhaps it would have been 83%. I still feel bad about that one!)
Here's a handful of cuteness.

I had to band some of the chicks so I can tell them apart. Some are mixes.
Like this Easter Egger Orpington. Looks like she got her Mama's cheeks.

My busy brooder. I'm trying paper towels for the 1st 2-3 days. I think I still prefer the large wood flakes, though.

They are adorable. Love the little yellow and black round fluff ball, middle right. Looks like the chick has a Mohawk.

I hope I get as good of a hatch on those olive eggers. The circumference of the eggs are not much bigger than a quarter.

They are adorable. Love the little yellow and black round fluff ball, middle right. Looks like the chick has a Mohawk.

I hope I get as good of a hatch on those olive eggers. The circumference of the eggs are not much bigger than a quarter.
The chick you mentioned we nicknamed "Stinky." It looks like a reverse skunk & was the only black one we could identify easily at hatch. When you think about it, Stinky could be a great chicken name.

Are the eggs you ordered from bantams? That does seem a little small.

OK all 9 eggs that went into lockdown, hatched, & were moved into the brooder. I got 6 black & 3 lavender chicks. So out of my 12 fertile eggs. 75% hatched. (If I didn't drop that egg, perhaps it would have been 83%. I still feel bad about that one!) Here's a handful of cuteness. I had to band some of the chicks so I can tell them apart. Some are mixes. Like this Easter Egger Orpington. Looks like she got her Mama's cheeks. My busy brooder. I'm trying paper towels for the 1st 2-3 days. I think I still prefer the large wood flakes, though.
I love that middle ones cheeks! I had no idea they had those puffy cheeks that young. So cute, although it gives her a very serious look.

Back
Top Bottom