Illinois...

The chick you mentioned we nicknamed "Stinky." It looks like a reverse skunk & was the only black one we could identify easily at hatch. When you think about it, Stinky could be a great chicken name.

Are the eggs you ordered from bantams? That does seem a little small.
Stinky is a great name and fits his face, haha. And no they are not bantams, I don't see how a LF chicken can develop properly in that size of egg. I private messaged them, but have not received anything back.

My Cornish hens, which may be twice the size of a bird- as most of the ones you all will have-- lay a extremely small, almost perfectly round egg.

I wouldn't get too caught up in egg size.

Looking for hatching eggs near Chatham/Springfield area for my Agg mechanics class incubator! Let me know if you have any close to me if you can

Looking for hatching eggs near Chatham/Springfield area for my Agg mechanics class incubator! Let me know if you have any close to me if you can
I have some here that are early laid in the season, and fertility likely isn't good enough for me to sell. If you send the chicks back, I'll give you some to hatch. Not sure how many I have yet, just starting to lay.

I'd almost even have a little project for your class!

Last edited:
I have some here that are early laid in the season, and fertility likely isn't good enough for me to sell.  If you send the chicks back, I'll give you some to hatch.  Not sure how many I have yet, just starting to lay.

I'd almost even have a little project for your class!
Where are you located???

1f604.png
Quote:
SW corner of Decatur, right on I72[/quoteWhat breed are they?

1f604.png

Quote: The deal I laid out stated that I got all the chicks back, so therefore I don't know that it matters what breed they are. I sell hatching eggs for $60 a dozen, so I won't be donating any to anywhere. But, for a project, I would let you borrow them, and then not have to worry about having to raise them.

The only good thing about the snow today, is that I can't see the mess my chickens made out of my freshly potted planters! I emptied them, added chicken manure and compost tossed and refilled, now it is all over the driveway, Thanks to my very busy girls.

We did an incubator test & here are the hatch results:
Dad = English lavender orpington
x
Moms= Black Orpington(2), Coronation Sussex(3- all look lavender), Crested Cream Legbar (1), Easter Egger (3; 2 may have blk & wht feathers; the other has cheeks)

so, 3 lav, 3 black, 1 black with cheeks, 2 might be black & white.
Straight run. None of the parents came from hatcheries

The hatches we do this year are part of my daughter's 4H project. We are not planning on keeping any of the chicks.
They are beyond cute & friendly, so the sooner we sell them, the easier it will be for my daughter to give them up.
Hatched March 18-19, 2015

If interested, please PM me. We live in the western suburbs of Chicago.

Back
Top Bottom