Illinois...

Deal Alert!!! Hi, Illinoisans! I'm in Hanna City. I was at the Pekin TSC tonight and they had end of season chicks on clearance. They were .75 if you bought the whole bin or 1.00 each. They had a whole bunch of bantams of various ages. Their birds come from Mt. Heathy, so check their site out for their bantam breeds. Don't know if anyone is in this area or interested, but I love a deal so I thought I would pass it along.
ETA: they don't come from Mt. Healthy (that's Big R in Pekin); they are from Townline. Sorry- too many feedstores to keep track of!

Last edited:
Deal Alert!!! Hi, Illinoisans! I'm in Hanna City. I was at the Pekin TSC tonight and they had end of season chicks on clearance. They were .75 if you bought the whole bin or 1.00 each. They had a whole bunch of bantams of various ages. Their birds come from Mt. Heathy, so check their site out for their bantam breeds. Don't know if anyone is in this area or interested, but I love a deal so I thought I would pass it along.
Just to let you know, I believe it was Mt. Healthy that has had salmonella issues the last couple of years. Be careful

Last edited:
Just to let you know, I believe it was  Mt. Healthy that has had salmonella issues the last couple of years. Be careful
Thanks for the heads up, but I got my feed stores mixed up. They actually are from Townline. Big R in Pekin orders from Mt. Healthy, not TSC.
1f604.png

My neighbors love our chickens, so they started dividing up my flock. By the time neighbor A claimed 6 & neighbor B claimed 4, I had none left to call my own. Therefore, they said that I need to buy more! LOL

I'm not sure if we are grandfathered in or if my DD's 4H poultry project counts. (I was told that 4H is state regulated so that trumps local ordinances.) We've been raising chickens for a few years now & the 6 hen limit is new. I also use my chickens for several school & education programs. It's never been a secret that we own chickens.

It does seem that the 6 limit is quite common in many ares. It also does make practical sense in URBAN ENVIRONMENT. JMO. If you stretch it a little, then it goes unnoticed. Keep a low profile and nobody likely to complain.

Well, I am grateful I live in Chicago where there is no limit on hens and no ban on roosters, cause I do plan on trying a rooster again. I have 7 laying hens, 8 week old BBM hen and roo, of which I am going to try again with or at least long enough to get some fertilized eggs out of him. I want to cross him with my CCLs for olive eggers. I have a bunch of 2-3 week olds, hoping the English Lav Orp is a girl that I got from Faraday40. That I will be keeping and some eggs in the incubator. I just have a serious problem of wanting so many different breeds. Its so addictive!

On a sad note, last week I woke and the electricity was out. Had no clue when it went out, but my cochin eggs were cold. Ran the incubator over to a friends. Thursday was day 14, looks like maybe 2 eggs are viable. I think the universe is trying to tell me I have enough chickens. We shall see.

Rural King in La Salle, Il (just off of Interstate 80) has chicks and ducklings.

I picked up some Welsummer chicks this morning. Found the staff in the chick department to be attentive and very interested in helping customers.

They are planning to keep a stock of chicks until October

Last edited:
Rural King in La Salle, Il (just off of Interstate 80) has chicks and ducklings.

I picked up some Welsummer chicks this morning. Found the staff in the chick department to be attentive and very interested in helping customers.

They are planning to keep a stock of chicks until October
Will you be heading towards Chicago anytime soon? Haha, I would ask you to bring me 2! See such an addict! Nice for you though!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom