Illinois...

From what it looks like to me, I think the whole farm is for sale and they are just trying to find a renter for the house to buy out the chicken business. At least that is how I am seeing it.

I agree. It's not in our region, so the cost of living is likely much lower. Also, the house may be in need of repair or fairly basic. I'm not familiar with rural living, so I often take for granite things like easy, nearby shopping, hospitals, schools, park districts, road repair, snow removal, & other services.

First off, are you interested in buying the farm? If your interested in buying just the chickens and renting the house, I would find out if they are selling off the rest of the land, because if they are and if you or whoever rents the house and buys the chicken business, once the property is sold, the new owner could tell you to move since your renting and the chickens would have to go too. Look at the add again, it says the owner would probably charge around 500.00 for rent. That's what makes me think they are selling off the rest of the farm.

Ok, so here how it was. The lady thats running the farm is moving, she was renting the farm and the house. Its only 1 acre so basically just a farm house where she was running her chicken and vegetable business. She was paying $500 but she can't guarantee thats what the owner will charge. My interest was that it would have given me a taste of what I want to do without any expensive commitment. All is a moot point because I asked her if in her opinion, the neighborhood and clientele were conducive for a minority to run a business and she was honest enough to say no. She made a lot of other comments which I think are not appropriate to share on the forum.

I would love to find a similar deal in Illinois or Wisconsin!

Ok, so here how it was. The lady thats running the farm is moving, she was renting the farm and the house. Its only 1 acre so basically just a farm house where she was running her chicken and vegetable business. She was paying $500 but she can't guarantee thats what the owner will charge. My interest was that it would have given me a taste of what I want to do without any expensive commitment. All is a moot point because I asked her if in her opinion, the neighborhood and clientele were conducive for a minority to run a business and she was honest enough to say no. She made a lot of other comments which I think are not appropriate to share on the forum.

I would love to find a similar deal in Illinois or Wisconsin!
I was way off! Sorry. If I come across anything, I will let you know.

I lived in that part of MS and I'm glad she was honest with you about the culture there. I moved from MS to Illinois in 1977, it was waayyy behind the times. My dad was military was we were in Italy before moving to MS. Talk about culture shock.

There are small homes for rent around my area but no established business like in the ad. You'd have to build your own and our winters are not the best
for year-around raising of poultry without the added expense of winter lighting and possibly heating to keep production up.
Work the dream!!

I lived in that part of MS and I'm glad she was honest with you about the culture there. I moved from MS to Illinois in 1977, it was waayyy behind the times. My dad was military was we were in Italy before moving to MS. Talk about culture shock.

There are small homes for rent around my area but no established business like in the ad. You'd have to build your own and our winters are not the best
for year-around raising of poultry without the added expense of winter lighting and possibly heating to keep production up.
Work the dream!!
Thanks for all the well wishes. I think my family has started sensing that I am becoming serious about it, so they have started digging their heels as well.
smile.png

I am going to have 2 Black/Blue Marans pullets ($10) and I will have 3 Lavender Ameraucana cockerels (free) available in a week or so if anyone is interested. I bought the eggs from Bhep on auction.

Last edited:
Free to good home- we had a single Easter Egger chick hatch today. I had a couple eggs under a broody hen, but I decided to put 9 new chicks under her a week ago and took her two eggs. Those eggs went in the incubator and only one hatched this afternoon. I am looking for a home with a broody hen to take this chick or someone with other new chicks. I do not want him/her to be alone. He/she looks like it will be blue wheaten like my rooster. Egg hatched from was blue, so chick carries the blue egg gene. PM if interested.

What a crazy 24 hours!! Yesterday we get that long-awaited call - CHICKS!!!! Two EE's, one Buff Orpington, one Black Australorp. Kids are going crazy. :)

This morning, about 10ish, we lost one of the EE's. :( (I'd really hoped to have a bunch of tinted eggs, and to be able to tell them all apart easily... figures...) Back to the shop, but there weren't any EE's left, so I came home with a second Black Australorp. And a run to the hardware store for some supplies to increase brooder security. *sigh*

The kids are doing mostly okay... I feel awful, still, though. *sigh*

Back
Top Bottom