Illinois...

Thanks! We really like our place. I've got a few neighbors but they are good people that either have poultry as well or don't mind my little hobby. Plus a doz eggs from time to time goes a long ways. And the pup, well thats Samson, the guard dog in training
fl.gif
He was born on Jan 1, easy to remember, lol He is growing so fast it's crazy, never had a Grt. Pyr. before.

Do any of you guys hatch your own eggs? Anyone eat their birds? Our kids love to participate and watch the whole process.

Well, I think Samson is beautiful! I am sure, he will turn out to be a great protector.

When I had my rooster, I did hatch a couple. Otherwise, I have been buying eggs and hatching. I live on the south side of Chicago, and the neighbors are all very close. So when my Roo began crowing constantly, I had to rehome. I am on the search for a more quiet roo, if that exists! LOL. My 3 year old grandson is my egg collector and is thrilled to be able to do that. His brother who is almost 2 loves the chickens and isn't afraid of them one bit. Isn't it great that our children are able to experience all of it.

Here are some pics of the kids helping on various butchering days. They love to help out and they talk about how they like helping put food on the table. All 8 & under and already helping feed other families! I was country raised and I'm gonna raise my kids that way by golly!

He is a drake mandarin duck. just had ducklings!.
So that's a mandarin duck, Beautiful! Almost doesn't look real.

Your children are cuties. And I have to correct myself and say your children get to experience a lot more than mine. Its funny, the differences between country and city people. I guess I am on the wimpy side. This city- wanna be- country girl couldn't butcher something that she has cuddled and talked to. When I first began with chickens we said, we would take the roos and the older girls to the butcher, but when it came time, we couldn't do it. It makes it really hard when your hatching eggs and end up with a lot of roosters you have to find homes for. I definitely give you credit, you will never go hungry. And I will be eating a lot of eggs and veggies, lol. My husband would love all the pork for the BBQ though. He smokes a great pork butt, for some awesome pulled pork!

Last edited:
Welcome new members!! I'm on my phone so I can't get that cute little dancing guy with the sign! :)

I'm from the western burbs of Chicago and have a small flock of 6, but the little roo will be leaving as soon as his girlfriend integrates with the older girls (they are only about 8 weeks), older girls are a year which is as long as I've been keeping chickens.

The Mandarin duck is gorgeous!

Last edited:
Thanks!  We really like our place.  I've got a few neighbors but they are good people that either have poultry as well or don't mind my little hobby.  Plus a doz eggs from time to time goes a long ways.  And the pup, well thats Samson, the guard dog in training :fl   He was born on Jan 1, easy to remember, lol   He is growing so fast it's crazy, never had a Grt. Pyr. before.

Do any of you guys hatch your own eggs?  Anyone eat their birds?  Our kids love to participate and watch the whole process.

Love your puppy! I want an LGD sooooo badly. How are you training him? Any tips???

As for hatching my own eggs- YES! Lots and lots. I keep EEs, Australorps, and Icelandics. I am completely addicted to hatching, which has "inspired" me into building hoop houses, brooders, and now we are working on a bigger coop this summer...

Eating birds- not yet, but I did order 20 broilers from Hoovers and they are all growing like weeds. I don't know how I feel about them yet though. They are so gross and not very chicken-like. We are going to slaughter them and a couple extra cockerels we have and compare.

BTW- love your ducks!!! Wow! We have Cayugas and a lone Pekin and they are great!!! So much fun! Great personalities and really better layers than my hens usually.

Welcome to BYC!!

It's funny you have a bantam with an alternative name for her broody times. Our Icelandic hen has a good, traditional Icelandic name- Harpa- but when she went broody, my DH started calling her "The Toad" because she looked so much like a fat amphibian all spread out in the nest box... I kept telling him to quit, but then it just kind of caught on and now I've been calling her "The Toad" as well. Poor thing! She really does not look anything like a toad, but it's kind of stuck...

TOAD! Poor girl, but I must admit I do see the resemblance.
My bantam broody really fluffs & flattens. I have 8 eggs under her, but I know I could fit more. I stopped with 8 b/c I'm afraid what will happen as the chicks outgrow her. My Bilelfelders & Orpingtons will outgrow her by 4 weeks old.

Been lurking around for a couple weeks as I've read the thread and thought I'd say hello. I live between the rivers down here in Pike Co. I raise chickens for eggs to pay for my waterfowl, gamefowl & peafowl habit. I'd sell anyone farm mutt eggs that you could use to hatch but because of the communist laws in IL you'll have to come to my house to get them as I'm not getting a license. IMO, give me a farm breed any day, they seem to be the healthiest and hardiest. All my chickens free range and they need that harty instinct and healthy demeanor to survive. All you guys have pretty chickens! Here are some pics of my birds.

Turkeys are on my wish list for some random day in the future. (Probably if we move somewhere with more property.)

Love the creative, functional, turkey-sized nest box!

love.gif

love.gif

Hello, newbie from Mt. Carmel here
Hi
welcome-byc.gif

Thanks! We really like our place. I've got a few neighbors but they are good people that either have poultry as well or don't mind my little hobby. Plus a doz eggs from time to time goes a long ways. And the pup, well thats Samson, the guard dog in training
fl.gif
He was born on Jan 1, easy to remember, lol He is growing so fast it's crazy, never had a Grt. Pyr. before.

Do any of you guys hatch your own eggs? Anyone eat their birds? Our kids love to participate and watch the whole process.

We enjoy to hatching eggs! I've been doing in my classroom for many years. DD, at age 8, started 4H & made my hubby build a coop. She's picked up my love for incubation. Since I won't allow her to bring our chickens to the fair, she's always coming up with experiments & projects which require hatching eggs. Now she's 10 & still into chickens. DS is 5 and just started caring for the chicks this year. Or should I say that this year his "help" is actually helpful. Previously he only gathered & delivered eggs. Now the kids pretty much take care of the flock on their own.

Because we live in the suburbs, our hen limit is low. Most of what we hatch must be sold or given away. I'd love to learn how to process the extra chickens - or at least learn where to bring them. I think it's a waste for us to simply give them away. I have no problems when I teach dissections, so I think a chicken (without a name) wouldn't be too bad. I don't think I could do a pig, though. My parents raised lamb once & to this day, my older siblings call any meal involving lamb = "Scamper Chops." LOL It was before my time, but I've certainly heard the story more than once. I think it's great that your kids are willing to learn & help out.

Back
Top Bottom