Illinois...

I am so sorry you were made to feel like this. Although I do agree with some parts of the article, ( like how smart they are, and relationships created)  there does seem to be an extremist opinion like you said. So, there are all kinds of people in this world. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, decisions and actions and so are you. You could have culled the chick from the beginning, but you didn't cause you care about that little life. You are trying to find a safe home for the chick, this does not make you a bad person. If you decided to keep it until butchering time, it does not make you a bad person. Everyone is different, don't let their ideas or opinions, make you doubt your own. I think of it this way, I love the diversity of people, especially the ones that make me laugh! Don't feel guilty.
x2

Just thought I'd share :) last year when these ladies were chicks, Apollo (the dog) would run and hide when I brought them out. I think the chirping bothered him, thankfully he's gotten over it!

Just thought I'd share
smile.png
last year when these ladies were chicks, Apollo (the dog) would run and hide when I brought them out. I think the chirping bothered him, thankfully he's gotten over it!
Pretty girls and such a cute pooch! It looks like the chicks have grown on him.

Just thought I'd share
smile.png
last year when these ladies were chicks, Apollo (the dog) would run and hide when I brought them out. I think the chirping bothered him, thankfully he's gotten over it!

Sorry, but posting more cute pics of chicks again, There are 2 Bantam Cochins 1 week old , Blue and Black Orpingtons and 1 project Orp.

Ok, out of my 2 project eggs, only one has hatched, still waiting on the other, but candled and I don't see any movement at all. Not very hopeful. So with these project eggs, there were 2 different pens and so I could end up with a surprise chick. Was hoping for a blue laced, but I don't think I got a blue. But my other options aren't to bad. Now I just have to wait for the chick to feather out to see what I have.

I had a chance of hatching these four percentages of chicks because of the crossing during this project.
25% silver lace Orp
25% gold laced Orp
25% blue laced Orp
25%BlueBlack split Orp

Here is my little yellow Project Chick. What do you think it will turn out to be?

Cute little Blue Orp in front and my little Cochin Bantam behind

Black Orp front and center and Cochin Bantam to left

Last edited:

Just thought I'd share
smile.png
lau.gif
Love the pic.

For some strange reason my dog is not as "relaxed" around the chickens.
Our dog was quietly snoozing & a chicken jumped onto his back. Poor dog had to get up & walk away. The silly bird decided to go for a doggie ride across the room.

Sorry, but posting more cute pics of chicks again, There are 2 Bantam Cochins 1 week old , Blue and Black Orpingtons and 1 project Orp.

Ok, out of my 2 project eggs, only one has hatched, still waiting on the other, but candled and I don't see any movement at all. Not very hopeful. So with these project eggs, there were 2 different pens and so I could end up with a surprise chick. Was hoping for a blue laced, but I don't think I got a blue. But my other options aren't to bad. Now I just have to wait for the chick to feather out to see what I have.

I had a chance of hatching these four percentages of chicks because of the crossing during this project.
25% silver lace Orp
25% gold laced Orp
25% blue laced Orp
25%BlueBlack split Orp

Here is my little yellow Project Chick. What do you think it will turn out to be?

My guess on the yellow one is a silver laced orp. (Just a guess. I never hatched any project orps. I would think the gold colors would have a tint of redness in the fluff, & I don't see any blue.) BTW- You're very, very lucky if that's what it is. Where did you get the eggs?

A lot of cuteness going on at your house!

I am so sorry you were made to feel like this. Although I do agree with some parts of the article, ( like how smart they are, and relationships created) there does seem to be an extremist opinion like you said. So, there are all kinds of people in this world. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, decisions and actions and so are you. You could have culled the chick from the beginning, but you didn't cause you care about that little life. You are trying to find a safe home for the chick, this does not make you a bad person. If you decided to keep it until butchering time, it does not make you a bad person. Everyone is different, don't let their ideas or opinions, make you doubt your own. I think of it this way, I love the diversity of people, especially the ones that make me laugh! Don't feel guilty.

x3 I hope your enjoying your other babies and some dry weather finally!
Thanks everyone. I did let them know how I felt and to my astonishment instead of maybe sorry, we did not mean that or maybe there is a miscommunication, I received a long email which I can't share but had 3 conclusions:

a) I was being defensive
b) I was responsible for bringing that chick to life and if I did not hatch that egg, the blind chick would not have existed.
c) If I did not exercise the option to put that chick down, I did the right thing and anything less than that would have been inhumane correct inhuman, and it was my duty not to put down the chick. To quote "you did not do anything special by not putting it down, that's what any human being would have done"
d) Instead of worrying about them making me feel bad, I should be grateful to them they found me a home for the chick and I have been ungrateful.
e) They did not feel they needed my permission to use the pics taken at my home on a personal facebook page with a story (they only source is me). They needed to use those pics to promote their work.

P.S. In a follow up email they have offered to remove the images if I insist.

All I can say if that was their idea to guilt someone into becoming a Vegan, it terribly failed. I am not hurt anymore, I am angry now, which is better! However, I am thinking of cancelling the adoption altogether. But I want to make sure its not for satisfying my ego and the chicks interest comes first. The chick is doing fine now and I don't even have to give him/her water anymore. It follows a companion chick to food and water and then comes back to its favorite spot under the lamp. The food and water have to be on the same spot as before. I can't move it around.

The home it was going to is not known to me and they have 6 juveniles there already with no separate brooder at the moment. I was thinking maybe I should go check the arrangement first and if I am satisfied, only then give the chicks.

What do you guys think?

25% silver lace Orp
25% gold laced Orp
25% blue laced Orp
25%BlueBlack split Orp

Cute little Blue Orp in front and my little Cochin Bantam behind

Black Orp front and center and Cochin Bantam to left

OMG, Such beauties! Fist of all about the yellow project chick:

Do you know what the project cross was for that chick? Is it from Mountain Valley Poultry? or someone else? Also what was the ultimate project goal? To get Blue Laced Silvers?
I have seens Ewe Crazy's Silver Laced Orp chicks and they do look silver. Unless there is a difference in lines, this certainly does not look SLO
And as @Faraday40 said, it does not look Gold either.
That leaves us with Blue Laced Silver I am assuming I do see a possibility but don't see the typical pattern of laced birds around the eyes.
But I am wondering what is a Blue/Black split. Blue is dominant so all blues only have 1 blue gene, if they have 2, they are splash. I am wondering if the breeder is using Lavender (also called Self blue by some breeders) instead of the dominant blue and hence we are not seeing the same colors as expected. But again there are lots of unknowns here.

Here is a pic of Ewe Crazy Chicks. They are about 7-10 days old in the pic so who knows yours might start looking like these:

900x900px-LL-5c6efbbf_IMG_5982.jpeg

On the BBS Chicks:

They are so cute. It seems like there is no splash in them or is there? Also how many blues/blacks? I wish I had more than one splash and I would happily trade with you. But we can always breed them and split the eggs
celebrate.gif
. That would get some genetic diversity to both. I have to take some pics of my blue as well. I think its a he because he has grown bigger than anyone else in the brooder and I mean really bigger.

Look forward to more pics and more info on your project soon. Seems like you will need more chicks to complete it
wee.gif

Thanks everyone. I did let them know how I felt and to my astonishment instead of maybe sorry, we did not mean that or maybe there is a miscommunication, I received a long email which I can't share but had 3 conclusions:

a) I was being defensive
b) I was responsible for bringing that chick to life and if I did not hatch that egg, the blind chick would not have existed.
c) If I did not exercise the option to put that chick down, I did the right thing and anything less than that would have been inhumane correct inhuman, and it was my duty not to put down the chick. To quote "you did not do anything special by not putting it down, that's what any human being would have done"
d) Instead of worrying about them making me feel bad, I should be grateful to them they found me a home for the chick and I have been ungrateful.
e) They did not feel they needed my permission to use the pics taken at my home on a personal facebook page with a story (they only source is me). They needed to use those pics to promote their work.

P.S. In a follow up email they have offered to remove the images if I insist.

All I can say if that was their idea to guilt someone into becoming a Vegan, it terribly failed. I am not hurt anymore, I am angry now, which is better! However, I am thinking of cancelling the adoption altogether. But I want to make sure its not for satisfying my ego and the chicks interest comes first. The chick is doing fine now and I don't even have to give him/her water anymore. It follows a companion chick to food and water and then comes back to its favorite spot under the lamp. The food and water have to be on the same spot as before. I can't move it around.

The home it was going to is not known to me and they have 6 juveniles there already with no separate brooder at the moment. I was thinking maybe I should go check the arrangement first and if I am satisfied, only then give the chicks.

What do you guys think?
so sorry x4.
A friend had to give away a young, 5 mo old dog. In 1st week after the adoption, the puppy did a lot of house damage, never used the yard but peed as soon as it came back inside, killed 4 chickens, & loved to nip fingers. With all her kids & busy life, my friend was very unsure about keeping the dog. They gave it a try for a week, then returned it to the shelter b/c it was a bad fit for their family. Boy, did they make her feel lousy! The dog wasn't evil, but untrained. It needed more care than they could physically give. If the dog stayed, much worse could have happened. It had a few acts of aggression & her kids were never around many dogs. Like I said, a bad fit. By returning it to the shelter, the dog has a chance to be owned by someone with more training experience. Also the shelter could then add that the dog would do better in a home without birds & other small animals.

In the blind chick case, I think the little chick should stay with her buddy. Chickens are smart & can adapt. She's learning how to survive & her "seeing eye guide" is part of that. I wouldn't cancel the adoption due to personal feelings. (Of course I can truly understand why you're angry! The tactic of shaming people who have different opinions is always a poor choice but one often used by people with less intelligence.) Out of compassion, you chose to allow the chick to live & she's doing fine. There's nothing wrong with that. Now you want to provide the best life for her. Again, nothing wrong. It's probably harder to emotionally to let her go than to physically keep her. You must do what you feel is right for the chick, regardless of how clueless the people working at the rescue may be.

Back
Top Bottom