Illinois...

Need 3 roosters gone ASAP, they are around 6 months now. Silkie Cochin cross. Mom was a black Silkie and dad was a black Cochin. They are really nice and fluffy. They've got a great color around their neck that's almost gold. I also have 4 of the same in chicks. About 1 month old no clue which are hens or roosters. All for free. Located outside of Springfield IL

so sorry x4.
A friend had to give away a young, 5 mo old dog. In 1st week after the adoption, the puppy did a lot of house damage, never used the yard but peed as soon as it came back inside, killed 4 chickens, & loved to nip fingers. With all her kids & busy life, my friend was very unsure about keeping the dog. They gave it a try for a week, then returned it to the shelter b/c it was a bad fit for their family. Boy, did they make her feel lousy! The dog wasn't evil, but untrained. It needed more care than they could physically give. If the dog stayed, much worse could have happened. It had a few acts of aggression & her kids were never around many dogs. Like I said, a bad fit. By returning it to the shelter, the dog has a chance to be owned by someone with more training experience. Also the shelter could then add that the dog would do better in a home without birds & other small animals.

In the blind chick case, I think the little chick should stay with her buddy. Chickens are smart & can adapt. She's learning how to survive & her "seeing eye guide" is part of that. I wouldn't cancel the adoption due to personal feelings. (Of course I can truly understand why you're angry! The tactic of shaming people who have different opinions is always a poor choice but one often used by people with less intelligence.) Out of compassion, you chose to allow the chick to live & she's doing fine. There's nothing wrong with that. Now you want to provide the best life for her. Again, nothing wrong. It's probably harder to emotionally to let her go than to physically keep her. You must do what you feel is right for the chick, regardless of how clueless the people working at the rescue may be.
Thanks @Faraday40 I will do my best to do whats best for the chick. Enough of my ranting on the forum for now, trying to make it a positive happy day.

@Junibutt sending hugs, that is all I am going to say. I do not have any splash, look all blue to me unfortunately. Because I believe he used a splash in the project orps.

@Faraday40 Feel like I haven't talked to you in forever. I keep looking at Tank Jr. I know he has that comb, but I have a weird feeling he might be a she. The English cockerels wattles are now bigger than Tanks, but not the comb as of yet. She/he is so sweet, likes to be picked up and petted. Really making me think. These Lavs are killing me and I am loving it. They are just gorgeous. My daughter says even if they are both boys we have to keep them. And so far, she has not colored her hair Lavender, so getting them might have actually worked.

The chick also has some dark coloring on her back. Looks black. Ok, I also screwed up on the percentage post, not Blue Black, it was Blue silver so I have copied and pasted it so my brain doesn't wander again. I also messaged Mountain valley poultry and they said to send a pic in a couple of days and they will help me out. So we shall see. I will have to do some more work on this project, but that just means more chickens. That is why I got the blue orps. Next year my only purchase will be a Silver laced.

6+ English Orpington Hatching Eggs from Blue laced Silver Project Pen. Blue silver Split Rooster over 2 Silver Laced Hens and 1 Blue Laced Silver Hen. Chicks from the Silver Laced Hens should hatch at the following percentage.
12.5% Blue Laced Silver Hen
12.5% Silver Laced Hen
12.5% Blue Silver Laced Rooster
12.5% Silver Laced Rooster
12.5% Blue Laced gold hen
12.5% Gold Laced Hen
12.5% Blue Silver Split Rooster
12.5% Silver Split Rooster

Chicks From The Blue Laced Hen Should Hatch Similar but with the Blue, Black or Splash Lacing

As you can see have should hatch silver. These English Orps have very nice size and Confirmation. I will be glad to answer any questions you may have.

OK ITS ME AGAIN, the egg that this chick hatched from was marked from the SILVER PEN>

Last edited:
@Junibutt sending hugs, that is all I am going to say. I do not have any splash, look all blue to me unfortunately. Because I believe he used a splash in the project orps.

@Faraday40 Feel like I haven't talked to you in forever. I keep looking at Tank Jr. I know he has that comb, but I have a weird feeling he might be a she. The English cockerels wattles are now bigger than Tanks, but not the comb as of yet. She/he is so sweet, likes to be picked up and petted. Really making me think. These Lavs are killing me and I am loving it. They are just gorgeous. My daughter says even if they are both boys we have to keep them. And so far, she has not colored her hair Lavender, so getting them might have actually worked.

The chick also has some dark coloring on her back. Looks black. Ok, I also screwed up on the percentage post, not Blue Black, it was Blue silver so I have copied and pasted it so my brain doesn't wander again. I also messaged Mountain valley poultry and they said to send a pic in a couple of days and they will help me out. So we shall see. I will have to do some more work on this project, but that just means more chickens. That is why I got the blue orps. Next year my only purchase will be a Silver laced.

6+ English Orpington Hatching Eggs from Blue laced Silver Project Pen. Blue silver Split Rooster over 2 Silver Laced Hens and 1 Blue Laced Silver Hen. Chicks from the Silver Laced Hens should hatch at the following percentage.
12.5% Blue Laced Silver Hen
12.5% Silver Laced Hen
12.5% Blue Silver Laced Rooster
12.5% Silver Laced Rooster
12.5% Blue Laced gold hen
12.5% Gold Laced Hen
12.5% Blue Silver Split Rooster
12.5% Silver Split Rooster

Chicks From The Blue Laced Hen Should Hatch Similar but with the Blue, Black or Splash Lacing

As you can see have should hatch silver. These English Orps have very nice size and Confirmation. I will be glad to answer any questions you may have.

OK ITS ME AGAIN, the egg that this chick hatched from was marked from the SILVER PEN>
I hope its a Blue Laced Silver hen so you don't have to work on this project, just get a Blue Laced Silver Rooster or a Blue Silver split rooster and you are done!

P.S. I saw the picture of the parent flock rooster and he is gorgeous.

Last edited:
I hope its a Blue Laced Silver hen so you don't have to work on this project, just get a Blue Laced Silver Rooster or a Blue Silver split rooster and you are done!

P.S. I saw the picture of the parent flock rooster and he is gorgeous.

Isn't he gorgeous! My fingers are crossed.

I couldn't resist anymore. Their run has been totally picked clean of any living thing for some time now and we have plenty of space (it's an old dairy farm). I was concerned about the family dog and other aspects of free ranging (the gardening and landscaping), but decided that at least while I was around during the day, I could let them out for a bit. The family dog has been a non-issue. The dog was always around the chickens while they were in their run and they were no longer afraid of him as they are now more than used to him. They haven't gotten too close yet to anything I would consider protected as there is a lot of space with plenty of free grass and weeds. I think after a week they are starting to get used to it. Plus it has saved on scratch grains I would normally throw them.

I couldn't resist anymore. Their run has been totally picked clean of any living thing for some time now and we have plenty of space (it's an old dairy farm). I was concerned about the family dog and other aspects of free ranging (the gardening and landscaping), but decided that at least while I was around during the day, I could let them out for a bit. The family dog has been a non-issue. The dog was always around the chickens while they were in their run and they were no longer afraid of him as they are now more than used to him. They haven't gotten too close yet to anything I would consider protected as there is a lot of space with plenty of free grass and weeds. I think after a week they are starting to get used to it. Plus it has saved on scratch grains I would normally throw them.

Nice, I bet they are loving it. I wish I had that space.

I couldn't believe it, but I have 2 hens gone broody now. I didn't put anyone out under the first hen this weekend cause it was kind of hot. So could I put both broodies in a separate crate from the rest of the hens and then slip the chicks under them at nite time?

I couldn't believe it, but I have 2 hens gone broody now. I didn't put anyone out under the first hen this weekend cause it was kind of hot. So could I put both broodies in a separate crate from the rest of the hens and then slip the chicks under them at nite time?
Have you tried it already? If not you got a be careful. They say the broody should have been broody for 10-15 days before you can give them chicks, otherwise they can kill them. A friend's broody actually killed a chick it hatched itself and was attacking another one that it hatched. We had given her eggs from the incubator but she only got to sit on them for 9 days before they started hatching. We had to rescue it and give it to a different broody who had already hatched chicks and she happily took it and another chick that hatched 2 days later.

Back
Top Bottom