Illinois...

What do you all think, Splash or Blue, the one with white, I think is splash cockerel. The other might be a darker splash or blue? Pullet.

And I believe I have a Silver laced Orp pullet from my Project egg. Feathers with lacing just starting to come in. SO excited!

@Beshort2 It is always so fun to watch them experience something for the first time.

Pulled an egg out of the box today and it was bloody. Everyone is acting normal and I know who laid this one, she's a year old EE. I searched on here and people said occasionally a blood vessel will break and its normal. Anyone have this happen?

Need to mention I started corid, today is day 2. I have a 10wk old bantam whose poop was looking bloody, want eating and was acting lathargic so I freaked out and am treating everyone. Not sure if it's related.

Last edited:
Yes, I have experienced slight blood stains ON EGGS on a few occasions. The chickens force out their projectile and some small vessels can rupture. Never had any problems as a result of slight blood streaks. Consider the facts... The vent is not all that big. The egg is comparatively large to the opening.. That stretching ........ well, IT MIGHT HURT.
caf.gif

What do you all think, Splash or Blue, the one with white, I think is splash cockerel. The other might be a darker splash or blue? Pullet.

And I believe I have a Silver laced Orp pullet from my Project egg. Feathers with lacing just starting to come in. SO excited!

@Beshort2 It is always so fun to watch them experience something for the first time.

First one is splash . They hatch white . Second one is blue based on extended black (E) . Blue will extend and replace the white . Third one is blue probably based on( ER) birchen as I see no white areas . Nothing unusual as you can get blue based on either type of black .

First one is splash . They hatch white . Second one is blue based on extended black (E) . Blue will extend and replace the white . Third one is blue probably based on( ER) birchen as I see no white areas . Nothing unusual as you can get blue based on either type of black .

First chick is from some project eggs that I had gotten. They were Silver laced orp x blue splash orp or blue orp. So I know that it will be a blue or plain silver laced orp. I was wondering about the BBS orps that I had. I was hoping for a splash. I have 2 very light bluish which is pictured above and 2 darker blues and 4 blacks. I got them from Jeff at Papa's Poultry. Thanks for the explaination, now I can just plan on a blue cockerel.

Last edited:
Incubation Day 19!!! Waiting for those eggs to hatch!

Here's Cookie in her little jail. (Mesh is actually to keep the bigger hens out & give Cookie some privacy.)
I

Here's my daughter egg-watching.

Meanwhile, DD's other project (Monarch butterflies) started hatching today. We took advantage of the brief pause in the rain to release today's hatch.

Tomorrow I will be moving my chicks to their new coop for the first time. Can't wait to see how they act with all the space they will have.

My girls moved out in two batches, they loving being outside pecking the earth during the brief glimpses of sunshine amidst the never ending freakin rain we have had ALL summer.!!

Incubation Day 19!!! Waiting for those eggs to hatch!

Here's Cookie in her little jail. (Mesh is actually to keep the bigger hens out & give Cookie some privacy.)
I

Here's my daughter egg-watching.

Meanwhile, DD's other project (Monarch butterflies) started hatching today. We took advantage of the brief pause in the rain to release today's hatch.

Look at all the fun going on at your house! That is great! I have someone that comes and collects monarch eggs from my milk weeds ( he just cuts the plant down and takes it all) and then he tags them and releases. I only have 4 plants left, but looked yesterday and the leaves are being eaten by somebody, didn't have time to check for caterpillars.

And I am going to have to take a pic of my broody before I have to break her, which I haven't yet. I am so impressed with her sticking with it. I am going to candle them first, just to make sure. I am still getting some fertilized eggs once in a while from the legbars. Although, I haven't gotten a single egg from any of the legbars since she went broody.

Back
Top Bottom