Illinois...

As requested, here are Cookie's chicks! I moved the happy family into the rabbit cage.

As usual, DD picks her fav. This time it's an EE. Either an EE-orp or a Legbar-orp.
In the bright sunlight it has a brown hue.

The black one with the pink beak is the other EE. Pretty sure it's a legbar-orp mix.
The yellow/white chick is from Princess- Lay-a.

pic below: What do you guys think? Does it look like a male head-spot? (I believe that combo makes a sex-link, so only a male offspring could get the barring from the mother.)

Last 2 pics are DD's fav.

Lol more pics pretty please I understand wanting to wait but I so wish we could have them now. Also could I see a pic of one of the white mix's pink eggs? Thanks sorry to be a nag just so looking forward to them

As requested, here are Cookie's chicks! I moved the happy family into the rabbit cage.

As usual, DD picks her fav. This time it's an EE. Either an EE-orp or a Legbar-orp.
In the bright sunlight it has a brown hue.

The black one with the pink beak is the other EE. Pretty sure it's a legbar-orp mix.
The yellow/white chick is from Princess- Lay-a.

pic below: What do you guys think? Does it look like a male head-spot? (I believe that combo makes a sex-link, so only a male offspring could get the barring from the mother.)

Last 2 pics are DD's fav.

They are adorable! Cookie did a great job once again. And yes I agree you have a little sex linked cockerel there. You know I have produced a couple of those myself.
My 3 Splash Orps are due to hatch Friday, looking at your babies, makes me even more excited.
And Congrats to the new excited mama, @chickendreams24 !

That would be great, I trying to keep any potential pickup drive reasonable and Southern WI works...

I was going to say to check the Indiana thread. I believe I have seen someone on there that raises them. They also have a list of Indiana members that gives you their location (town) and what kind of birds they sell.

Sorry to hear about the loss, but things happen and we learn from them.
Four is a good number to start with.....I started with four EE hens seven and a half years ago. I had 17 going into 2015 and that number is up right now with youngsters hatched this year....not sure to what. :idunno  I'd have to count and that is not a number I want to know right now! :oops:  
lol! If I had a farm I would have more. I want to get my own separate chickens for meat (not even the same breed as my egg layers preferably not even colors remotely like them) chickens. Free range them all over the place and enjoy my own chickens as dinner. If only I had a farm. I want to find a few acres and put a double wide on it. And get a pony to go along w the chickens.

Princess's eggs are in the middle.
The above pic is old.

The pics below were taken today. Poor, poor Princess. For some reason she's not laying. LOL
Meanwhile, it looks like someone had a massive pillow fight in our backyard. All of those white feathers came from Princess. They fly off in a trail behind her as she walks. When she's standing still, they just drip off her. DH said she'd be easy to process since she's already mostly plucked.

This is Tyrion, the fearless. She's a little further along through her molt. Isn't funny seeing an EE without "cheeks"?

I went to the back to check out what's left from the garden & of course it started a chicken parade.

Here's Tyrion again patrolling the garden. She HATES squirrels & will chase them away.

Princess's eggs are in the middle. The above pic is old. The pics below were taken today. Poor, poor Princess. For some reason she's not laying. LOL Meanwhile, it looks like someone had a massive pillow fight in our backyard. All of those white feathers came from Princess. They fly off in a trail behind her as she walks. When she's standing still, they just drip off her. DH said she'd be easy to process since she's already mostly plucked. This is Tyrion, the fearless. She's a little further along through her molt. Isn't funny seeing an EE without "cheeks"? I went to the back to check out what's left from the garden & of course it started a chicken parade. Here's Tyrion again patrolling the garden. She HATES squirrels & will chase them away.
Would you really process Princess? Even if your dh wanted to?

No Princess is a pet - a perfect hen. She lays 300 eggs per year, loving, friendly personality, not at all skittish, & even has the option to go broody 1x per year.

I was just thinking it might be a new trait bred into the meatbirds. When they're old enough for processing, they drop their feathers for a pre-plucked bird. DH allows me to make all the decisions about the flock. He only cares about the eggs & that the numbers go back down before winter. He's losing on both of those points. most of the hens are molting, so no eggs. The new pullets aren't laying, so the 1-2yr old hens are still around.

No Princess is a pet - a perfect hen.   She lays 300 eggs per year, loving, friendly personality, not at all skittish, & even has the option to go broody 1x per year.

I was just thinking it might be a new trait bred into the meatbirds.  When they're old enough for processing, they drop their feathers for a pre-plucked bird.  DH allows me to make all the decisions about the flock.  He only cares about the eggs & that the numbers go back down before winter.  He's losing on both of those points.  most of the hens are molting, so no eggs.  The new pullets aren't laying, so the 1-2yr old hens are still around.
Well chickens aren't very accomdating. I've found that out. They do what they very well please.

Back
Top Bottom